Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Robert312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2019, 9:28 am

I went to a disability conference where they showed films of people who had been placed in jobs. Every job was a restaurant or a janitorial job. I understand that there are people with lower abilities who are grateful just to have a job but many Aspies have skills and intelligence and want careers, not just jobs. To coin a phrase: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

I worked with an agency in Birmingham, Alabama. When I approached them I listed my transferable skills and stated the type of job I was looking for. After a disaster when they made a bad choice I ended up at a grocery store. I got that job myself but they did do coaching. They considered me a success even I went from a part-time job I liked to a disaster then to a part-time job I didn't like. Plus my boss refused to give me full time.

I know a man who has problematic social skills but a good mind. After years of searching, he finally got a job at a cleaning service. His parents were grateful to find that. He has to get up early and ride an hour sometimes to get to work. This can be a beginning job but why can't he get something more convenient? NTs can get starting jobs in their local that is not as erratic. And I don't think the agency is interested in working with him later to help him move up. I don't think he is a suitable candidate for management in the cleaning business, and I know that I would not be interested in managing even though I could do better than most of the bosses I've had. Of course, the agency slaps themselves on the back about their success.

I contacted the agency saying I wanted to talk to them about ideas I had about how they could improve. They know me. They should respect me and know I was series. The leader pushed me down to the employment manager and she only talked to me on the phone. Even I can read a put-off. I sent an e-mail with links, conference slid photos, and a conference video and got a polite thank you.

They know more about getting employment for Aspies than Aspies do. Look I'm a trained monkey. Watch! I do tricks!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

I do not advocate self-disclosure before being hired. Too many people have wrong ideas about what it means to have an ASD. We’re not mentally deficient, we’re not mass-murderers, and we’re not going to hide in the stockroom and stim all day long. We’re people, with quirks, talents and dreams of our own, just like everyone else.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 12:07 pm

Landing your first job can be difficult. But you build from there because you are building up your skill set. What I find strange in your case is that you are 57 years old and that at your age you should be nearing the end of a career rather than at the beginning.

On another point, maybe work is not using your full potential. That may be true. But I considered work to provide me finances to pursue my interest. It is my interest outside of work that utilize my full potential.