I hate working out and hate myself for it

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 8:53 pm

I am 6'0 tall and less than 120 lbs. It does not look good. I do not feel good about myself. I should be working out three times a week in the gym.

I do not like working out. It just does not agree with me. It seems the vast majority of people who are happy and successful in life work out regularly in a gym.

Thankfully I eat as healthy as anyone but it is not much solace for me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2019, 3:29 am

Maybe find some sport you can enjoy?
Maybe something outside the gym - I don't like gyms, a jog in a park is much more enjoyable.
Swimming? Climbing? Horse riding? MTB?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2019, 4:40 am

Not everyone likes gyms. I only went when I got a special deal or free membership such as at the Navy when I worked at an office next door to their HQ. I can't always figure out how to use the gym equipment, even the gym equipment they have installed in some of the local parks to encourage people to get fit.

I only went to gym to try and improve my figure since I was self conscious about my skinniness in high school.

I've always preferred running and hiking. Runners don't develop a great chest or six pack but can manage their weight well. I scored 118% in a fitness test at the Navy at age 30, so was pretty pleased. (VO2 capacity, hear rate, etc) I was way fitter than most guys my age.

No need to hate yourself for disliking gym work.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 3:06 pm

It took me years to finally get in a solid routine at the gym. There is some truth in saying you have to force yourself sometimes. The main thing I found that helped was having a solid partner who would go with me. We can always count on each other to be there after work and that makes it a little more fun. Once we got in that routine it was made more fun by watching my progress. Going from 25s to 45s on chest press, or 70 to 100 on tricep press, picking up protein shakes, gaining 30 lbs.. point is, it requires a lot of patience. Once you get there, it is definitely worth while.

With that said, it is not for everyone. Exercising sucks, no matter how you look at it. Those are just pointers I offer that I found personally helped me learn to enjoy the gym.