Do you prefer partners who are NT or AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you want a partner who is NT or AS?
NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
AS 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
NT, but would date AS 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
AS, but would date NT 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
It doesn't matter 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 11

Whale_Tuune
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2019, 5:20 pm

I'm open to either, but I don't think preferring an NT partner is necessarily hypocrisy. We're encouraged to date our complements and people with strengths that we lack and vice versa.

So I'm generally frugal and resourceful but a bit odd socially. I could date a more socially gifted person who needs a more balanced budget. As long as we both concede to the other's strengths, that's what relationship experts recommend.

I've dated guys who seemed a bit on the spectrum, but they've all been more outgoing than me and I've greatly admired that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 5:32 pm

I’ve dated one of each, but it varies from person to person.

DorkyNerd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2019, 2:52 am

Dating both is a disaster!!

However, at least with an AS guy, you don't have to worry about him being a con man.

magz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 3:26 am

Neurodiverse / eccentric but not necessarily diagnosable AS.
Someone capable of loving an oddball like me is quite likely an oddball himself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:52 am

I like intellectual-type women.

I can get turned on by a scantily-clad woman discussing Plato.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:58 am

I dated an AS and got lots of understanding but bad emotions escalated between us. I married an NT (or ND in a non-AS way?) and there are lots of misunderstandings but he is calm and my rock.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 12:26 pm

I've mostly had NT partners, but have had two AS relationships. I'm AS and like the hand holding, hugs, affection and banter, flirtation that so often is missing from AS relationships. I also discovered that not all AS partners are faithful, contrary to popular belief... But, every one is unique, and this has just been my experience. I'd much rather find someone who is kind-hearted and loving .... no matter whether they are NT or AS.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:30 am

My 2nd & current girlfriend are on the spectrum but my 1st was NT. However my 1st also had dyslexia, ADHD, & alittle OCD. I struggled majorly to get a date & I think part of the problem is that I have communication problems with NTs. I'm very direct & straightforward & I have misunderstandings with NTs. I also don't have my sh!t together with life partly due to my Aspergers &/or other comorbids. I think other Aspies are better able to relate to that. However my personality within a relationship is kinda the opposite of a stereotypical Aspie's. I LOVE being close & affectionate with my partner whereas the stereotypical Aspie wants more space. Thankfully my current girlfriend is more on my level when it comes to being close & affectionate. Given a choice I would chose another Aspie but I would of been very willing to be with an NT. When I was single I was mostly wanting someone who would give me a real chance & actually put forth some effort into making the relationship work instead of everything being one-sided.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.