London Bridge stabbings, suspect shot

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 10:37 am

London Bridge: People 'injured' after stabbing

Quote:

A number of people are believed to have been injured after a stabbing at London Bridge, police have said.

The Met Police said they were called to a stabbing at a premises near the bridge just before 14:00.

The force said it had detained a man. London Ambulance Service has declared a "major incident".

The BBC's John McManus, at the scene, said he had seen a group of men in a fight on the bridge. Police then arrived and shots were fired, he said.

British Transport Police said London Bridge station was currently closed and no trains would be stopping there.

Police have advised people near the scene to follow directions from officers on the ground.
The prime minister tweeted he was being updated on the incident and wanted to thank police and all emergency services for their response.

Home Secretary Priti Patel also tweeted that she was "very concerned" about the incident.

McManus told the BBC News channel: "Just a few minutes ago I was walking across London Bridge on the south bank to the north bank of the bridge.

"There appeared to be a fight going on on the other side of the bridge, with several men attacking one man.

"Police then quickly arrived, including armed police, and then a number of shots were fired at this man."

A video has emerged showing police officers aiming guns at a white lorry that jack-knifed across London Bridge.

The footage shows several officers surrounding the vehicle before moving to the rear to check its container.

London buses can be seen either side of the lorry while three police cars are parked next to it on the bridge.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 12:34 pm

I was only in London Bridge 3 days ago. I was in London today and I heard these girls saying, "There's just been an incident at London Bridge, we're going STRAIGHT home" and I followed.

I saw the video where the man got shot. Why did they need to shoot him when they had already caught him?

Edit: Just saw he had a hoax explosive device strapped to him. Understood.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 4:31 pm

^wonder if the hoax device was there for that reason, so he would be shot.

Glad you're ok.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 4:56 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:

Glad you're ok.

+1. Smudge, glad you're out of danger.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 5:30 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:

Glad you're ok.

I guess that's one dramatic way to get (free??! !) euthanasia.

Borromeo wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Glad you're ok.

Aww, thanks both you guys! I admit I was a bit worried. I mean, I grew up in London as a kid and remember IRA warnings and that, they didn't bother me.

For years they never had bins in stations because of the bomb risk, but these days there's bins everywhere. I don't get it.

When my mum was staying round at her friend's place near Liverpool St. once, and a bomb went off nearby there...the impact of the IRA bomb made her friend's windows suddenly shut with a "whoomph" sound.

Just found it on Wikipedia. Tiny photo but that damage is amazing. Wormwood Street 1993.

Last edited by smudge on 29 Nov 2019, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 5:45 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50604781

Makes me so f*****g angry that people do this. At least the police killed the attacker.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 7:19 pm

Apparently two people were killed and 10 injured by the attacker

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/po ... 7ed2998bdc

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 7:28 pm

Another mass stabbing in the Hague
https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/mu ... 1265ddc446

Not sure if this is coordinated?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:41 pm

Suspect in London Bridge stabbing attack previously convicted of terror crimes

Quote:
Scotland Yard officials identified the suspect as Usman Khan, 28.

"This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offenses. He was released from prison in December 2018 on license and clearly, a key line of inquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack," Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said Friday night.

Khan was living in Staffordshire and police were searching his address late Friday.

London Bridge attack: 'Everyday heroes' praised
Quote:
Footage on social media appears to show the knifeman being held down by passers-by before firearms officers intervene and shoot him dead.

One man who intervened said they had been trying to dislodge the knife from the man's hand.

Members of the public expressed their admiration for the bravery of those involved.
George Robarts tweeted that one man, filmed walking away from the attacker holding a knife, "ran through traffic and jumped the central partition to tackle the attack with several others".

He continued: "We ran away but looks like he disarmed him, amazing bravery."

Tour guide Stevie Hurst was one of those who helped restrain the attacker. He told BBC 5 live he saw the suspect being held down and kicked him in the head.
"We saw a guy being accosted to the floor," he said, adding that people were "screaming" the attacker had "stabbed a couple of women".
"Everyone was just on top of him trying to bundle him to the ground," he added.
"We saw that the knife was still in his hand... I just put a foot in to try and kick him in the head.
"We were trying to do as much as we could to try and dislodge the knife from his hand so he wouldn't harm anyone else.
“The guys that were there were absolutely amazing. Heroes beyond belief."

Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said she wanted "to thank the members of the public who have helped, either by showing extraordinary courage by stepping in to tackle this attacker

Brendan Cox, whose wife MP Jo Cox was murdered, said: "I hope the front pages tomorrow are full of the stories of the everyday heroes who helped stop the attack, not fixated on the low life attention seekers who carried it out."

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and Prime Minister Boris Johnson both offered their thanks to the heroes.
Mr Johnson praised emergency services and said members of the public "who physically intervened to protect the lives of others" showed "extraordinary bravery".
"For me they represent the very best of our country and I thank them on behalf of all of our country," he says.
While Mr Khan said the people who confronted the attacker "risked their own safety".
"They are the best of us," he added.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 10:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

"This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offenses. He was released from prison in December 2018 on license and clearly, a key line of inquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack," Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said Friday night.

Khan was living in Staffordshire and police were searching his address late Friday.

For the victims his release will be treated with bitterness. Like when parolees of henious crimes get out of jail and then repeat their criminal tendencies on some other hapless victim.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 7:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

For the victims his release will be treated with bitterness. Like when parolees of henious crimes get out of jail and then repeat their criminal tendencies on some other hapless victim.

'Terrorism offenses' covers a lot of ground and a lot of people, can't lock them all up or follow them all 24/7 so it's a difficult balance, but yes, very upsetting for the victims families.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 7:42 am

smudge wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Glad you're ok.

I guess that's one dramatic way to get (free??! !) euthanasia.

Borromeo wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Glad you're ok.

Aww, thanks both you guys! I admit I was a bit worried. I mean, I grew up in London as a kid and remember IRA warnings and that, they didn't bother me.

For years they never had bins in stations because of the bomb risk, but these days there's bins everywhere. I don't get it.

When my mum was staying round at her friend's place near Liverpool St. once, and a bomb went off nearby there...the impact of the IRA bomb made her friend's windows suddenly shut with a "whoomph" sound.

Just found it on Wikipedia. Tiny photo but that damage is amazing. Wormwood Street 1993.

And the posters in the bus stations reminding what to do if you see a bag on it's own.

We lived in Purley (South London, Croydon area) on the main Brighton Road so not a 100% safe but def not a

danger area but I was worried enough to check under the car a few times to see if a bomb had been attached

as I had seen on the news and self conscious enough about my fears to pretend I was tying my shoe laces. Of

course, I wouldn't have had any idea what a bomb looked like since I was mostly between 6-8 but it reassured me.

I don't remember worrying about the IRA often, it was more that I was aware of them but it was also normal.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 11:04 am

There is a really interesting story here if one looks a little deeper. It has to do with the bystanders who confronted this terrorist.

The hero bystanders who subdued the London Bridge knife attacker included a chef who fought off the jihadist with an ornamental 5-foot narwhal tusk and another who brandished a fire extinguisher.

British media identified the chef as Lukasz, a man from Poland, who was injured by the assailant, convicted terrorist Usman Khan. Two people were stabbed to death and three were injured before Khan was shot dead by police.

Lukasz worked at nearby Fishmongers Hall, where the horrific attack began during a prison rehabilitation event, the Sun reported, before spilling out on to the street. A narwhal is a type of whale sometimes known as the "unicorn of the sea" because of its distinct "tusk", which is actually a tooth. It can reach lengths of up to 10 feet.

Lukasz grabbed the tusk off the wall when Khan began slashing at people with a large kitchen knife.

Source: Narwhal tusk-wielding chef helped subdue London Bridge attacker

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 11:29 am

Why was someone who plotted to blow up the London Stock Exchange out on our streets?

Why would members of the public jump on someone who had a suicide vest on or what they thought was one? The excuse is it wasn't visible. Why would a terrorist wear a fake suicide belt that was hardly visible?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 12:18 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Why was someone who plotted to blow up the London Stock Exchange out on our streets?

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it had been a "mistake" to grant an early release to the suspect. Khan, who lived in the Staffordshire area, was convicted in 2012 for "terrorism offenses". Authorities said Khan had been released in December 2018 "on license," meaning he had to meet certain conditions or face being sent back to prison, according to Metropolitan Police Counterterrorism Chief Neil Basu. Johnson said he had "long argued" against allowing "serious and violent criminals to come out of prison early.”

Several British media outlets reported that he was wearing an electronic ankle bracelet at the time of the attack. A lot of good the ankle monitor did.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm

jimmy m wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it had been a "mistake" to grant an early release to the suspect. Khan, who lived in the Staffordshire area, was convicted in 2012 for "terrorism offenses". Authorities said Khan had been released in December 2018 "on license," meaning he had to meet certain conditions or face being sent back to prison, according to Metropolitan Police Counterterrorism Chief Neil Basu. Johnson said he had "long argued" against allowing "serious and violent criminals to come out of prison early.”

Several British media outlets reported that he was wearing an electronic ankle bracelet at the time of the attack. A lot of good the ankle monitor did.

Thanks. No wonder Sky News was ready and filming the special unit that shot him before they got the call.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"