Triple killer found not guilty by insanity

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 12:04 pm

A man who killed three elderly men because he wrongly thought they were paedophiles has been cleared of murder charges because of insanity finding in Exeter Crown court.

He was paranoid schizophrenic and was having delusions about saving young girls from paedophiles,the 28 year old was found not guilty by insanity.
Twins Richard and Roger Carter and Anthony Payne were bludgeoned to death on february 10th,three psychiatrists agreed Alexander Lewis-Ranwell was insane when he battered his victims.

The story did not say whether or if and for how long he will be confined to a psychiatric hospital.

Story can be found on BBC

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 12:31 pm

The article probably didn't say how long he will be in the hospital for treatment because it might be an indefinite on how long it takes for him to get over having symptoms. If I understand correctly about sentencing for insanity, you could technically end up spending ten years in the psych ward on a charge that would normally be a six month jail sentence if ten years is how long it takes to get you to understand what you did wrong. That is probably why you only hear insanity pleas on murder and not simple assault.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 12:48 pm

A person could be "730'd" even on a minor charge in New York State.

Being "730'd" means that you are "not responsible" for a crime on the basis of "mental disease or defect."

In misdemeanor cases, it's a dismissal. Many times in felony cases, though, a person is re-prosecuted for the crime after some time (usually a few months).

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 12:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
A person could be "730'd" even on a minor charge in New York State.

Being "730'd" means that you are "not responsible" for a crime on the basis of "mental disease or defect."

In misdemeanor cases, it's a dismissal. Many times in felony cases, though, a person is re-prosecuted for the crime after some time (usually a few months).

That might work on nonviolent occasions for example harrassment, but I was speaking as far as various acts of violence, which is why I brought up the idea of assault.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 12:59 pm

Many people who are "730'd" are charged with violent crimes.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 1:03 pm

I am surprised. In Florida, it is not uncommon to spend a few days being evaluated at a psych hospital if you commit an act of violence that is allowed by the self defense laws, let alone if you do something illegal.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 1:20 pm

It's England so people can be held at whats called "her majesty's pleasure" so who knows how long this guy will be in the loonie bin for,could be a long time being a triple murder.

The girls who were only 13 or 14 in the famous slender man murder case got 25 years in a sanitary hospital but you know it's different in every juristiction so who knows.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 5:42 pm

John Hinckley shot President Reagan in 1981. He was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" in 1982. He was confined since right after his arrest.

He was allowed very limited outside visitation for a brief period in 1999.

He was allowed more substantial visitation in 2005.

He was released back to his family in 2016, but remains confined to a 50-mile radius of his home.

He is going to ask for unconditional release at the end of 2019.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 5:46 pm

I knew that the guy who shot Reagan was deemed insane, but I didn't know the other details.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:07 pm

If he shot any normal Jane or Joe, I would bet he would have been released within a few years.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:10 pm

Even with the average Joe, I would still call it questionable depending on where his mind was at after those few years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:13 pm

Of course, they would evaluate the person's mental state.

But many people are stabilized under medication.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:11 pm

Situations like this are tricky. I'm sure there are cases where someone was deemed cured and cut loose who ended up doing it again.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 6:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
John Hinckley shot President Reagan in 1981. He was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" in 1982. He was confined since right after his arrest.

He was allowed very limited outside visitation for a brief period in 1999.

He was allowed more substantial visitation in 2005.

He was released back to his family in 2016, but remains confined to a 50-mile radius of his home.

He is going to ask for unconditional release at the end of 2019.
I think he also has to avoid any books or dvd's that pertain to Jody Foster as well.We are probably the only people on this thread that remember the day that Reagan was shot,I remember the flag at school was at half mast and the teacher told us that was because the president had been shot.
I still remember that day almost 40 years ago even though I was quite young at the time.

mfs4002
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Dec 2019, 6:39 am

That’s crazy!! So what now? They just give home a bottle of medications and turn him loose?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 7:47 am

mfs4002 wrote:
That’s crazy!! So what now? They just give home a bottle of medications and turn him loose?

He will go to Broadmoor secure hospital where Peter Sutcliffe AKA "The Yorkshire Ripper" and Ronnie Cray were sent. One day in the future he might be released but anti-psychotic meds would be administered, probably by injection.

He's not a hardened criminal, if the doctors can successfuly contain his psychosis I expect he would be released eventually. His own accound of the events sounds plausable.

Exeter is a small university city in Devon. There is occaisional drug related violence but other than that its a pretty quiet place. If he's a local man, it does seem likely that he might one day return to that area.