Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 2:56 pm

Hello,

I've had Anxiety issues for as long as I can remember, but have recently noticed my eyes twitch on their own intermittently throughout the day. The only way I can describe it, is it resembles extended blinking, and I can't seem to control it.

I initially thought it could be dry eyes, but eye drops don't seem to work.

Was wondering if such a habit twitch could be related to my anxiety? And if so, does anyone else experience similar, and are there any distraction techniques or similar to at least alleviate this inconvenience?

I'm considering going to the Doctor's about it, but (ironically) I am anxious that they would be put me on medication for it, as I've been on a plethora of anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications over the years with a myriad of side effects and complications, and have found my change of diet and moderate exercise acts as a temporary lift on both Anxiety and Depression, but still the twitching remains!

Thanks.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 3:22 pm

> intermittently throughout the day

If you close your eyes, do you still feel this happening or does that make it stop?

There is something called "REM intrusion" that I believe I have, where the REM phase of sleep tries to break into normal waking hours. I haven't had much luck learning anything about it (and as usual, doctors ignore anything I say about it).

(Of course that may not have anything to do with what you're describing.)

There Are Four Lights!

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 6:02 pm

Darmok wrote:
> intermittently throughout the day

If you close your eyes, do you still feel this happening or does that make it stop?

When I close my eyes, it stops. But I obviously can't walk around with my eyes shut all day. :lol:

Darmok wrote:
There is something called "REM intrusion" that I believe I have, where the REM phase of sleep tries to break into normal waking hours. I haven't had much luck learning anything about it (and as usual, doctors ignore anything I say about it).

(Of course that may not have anything to do with what you're describing.)

I'm not sure that it could be that. I have experienced dream-like states and depersonalisation during the day, but that could just be general fatigue from the sort of circumstances I am in at the moment.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2019, 3:38 am

I had eye twitching when I was around 16-17 years old. My anxiety was at a record level back then. I don't even think I could hold such amounts of panic in my body anymore without passing out (I'm getting old ;)). The twitching eventually went away by itself. I always had it in phases that lastet a few weeks or months.

It could also be a deficit in magnesium or vitamin B12. If you have lots of anxiety it isnt bad to try supplementing with magnesium which is good for your heart and muscles, and B12 is good for your nerves. Stretch your muscles every day, it helps a lot to ease physical manifestations of stress.

Sorry that you are going through so much anxiety.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 4:39 am

Lely wrote:
I had eye twitching when I was around 16-17 years old. My anxiety was at a record level back then. I don't even think I could hold such amounts of panic in my body anymore without passing out (I'm getting old ;)). The twitching eventually went away by itself. I always had it in phases that lastet a few weeks or months.

It seems to be a phase. It can get to a point where I do feel faint from an overwhelming amount of anxiety.

Lely wrote:
It could also be a deficit in magnesium or vitamin B12. If you have lots of anxiety it isnt bad to try supplementing with magnesium which is good for your heart and muscles, and B12 is good for your nerves. Stretch your muscles every day, it helps a lot to ease physical manifestations of stress.

I can give that a go. I seem to have a healthy diet, enough to put my Type 2 Diabetes into remission. My eyes are healthy after each retinopathy examination as well. I never stop moving, and I am going to reincorporate my muscle stretches and toning again after Christmas, and will see if both of these suggestions ease it off a little.

Lely wrote:
Sorry that you are going through so much anxiety.

Thankyou. :) I've never known anything like it before. 8O