Now the Trump administration wants to cut SSI

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 1:13 am

EzraS wrote:
2013 from The Atlantic:

"Reality Check: Obama Cuts Social Security and Medicare by Much More Than the GOP"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatl ... le/274919/

There are tons of stories like this about every president.

I didn't even know this. Guess what though? I've never had my SSDI cut at all. So, Obama's cuts didn't affect me one bit. So, maybe you're right and it is hype.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 5:53 am

Yeah and if it turns out to not be hype and he actually goes through with it I bet some of you guys still wont give a damn. :roll:

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 8:34 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Yeah and if it turns out to not be hype and he actually goes through with it I bet some of you guys still wont give a damn. :roll:

Actually, I would. My little Emily is on SSDI. Like I said, if the person is one of the recipients who just doesn't want to do the 9-5 and claims a back injury, I might always be a bit worried, no matter who was in office. But, for those who are truly disabled, they will be ok.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 10:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
Why is it you never see a headline like "Trump invests in innovation" or "Trump invests in higher education" or Trump invests in Health research" or "clean energy initiatives"

He's the antitheses of forward progressive thinking. Put aside the encyclopaedia of Trump related deficits, on this alone his legacy should be jettisoned into the sewer of history

University educated Trump supporters really should hang their heads in utter shame

TRUMP is making nearly 1 trillion dollar yearly deficits.

The U.S. deficit hit $984 billion in 2019, soaring during Trump era
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... trump-era/

Trump and Democrats Agree to Pursue $2 Trillion Infrastructure Plan
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/30/us/p ... -plan.html

Trump, Congress approve largest U.S. research spending increase in a decade
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/03 ... ase-decade

Be the hero of your life.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 11:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Ezra is trying to say that this sort of thing has been happening for years.

It’s part of the Government’s intent to make being on SSI an unpleasant experience.

That’s pretty crazy. I know from experience that being on SSI right now is hardly a pleasant experience. Annually, straight up SSI is less than half of the poverty line.

I do know people who make more on SSDI who have worked the system so they can get out of having to work, but SSI is a different story.

People on SSI get very stressed when it comes time for reviews. Depending on their disability and the amount of help they receive from friends and family, they often have trouble completing the necessary paperwork on time which causes a lapse in their benefits and sometimes leads to homelessness.

The process needs to be simpler and easier for disabled people. I have similar thoughts regarding Medicare.

Perhaps instead of making individuals fill out paperwork, they can just sign a release form instead which would enable the SSA to speak directly to doctors.