Do women experience attraction differently from men?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 2:06 pm

I have read in many places that women experience attraction differently than men. Like that we tend to respond more to intellectual/emotional stimuli and less to physical stimuli, and that our desire for sex tends to veer more towards emotional intimacy than men's desire does.

I also read some quote that says, "The man desires the woman, the woman desires the desire of the man."

Do you think there is truth to these claims or is it just sexism? Or a mix of both? I know that personally I have a physical type, but I don't have any requirements for who I'm attracted to outside of basic requirements (ie old enough to consent, attracted to women, is a man, is not my relative :p) Like I can definitely appreciate a hot guy, but a good personality or top-notch brain can be just as attractive if not moreso. I also don't really get sexual desire that isn't also a desire for emotional intimacy. Just seems like something you wouldn't want to do with someone you don't care about.

However, I feel that some women feel differently. What's your opinion on this?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 9:39 am

I've also read about that, and from what I've heard people, both men and women, say about themselves, I'd say it seems to often be true. There are exceptions I'm sure, but in general it seems that men put less weight on emotional connection than women do.

Personally, I've never felt sexual attraction to anyone whose personality I wasn't already attracted to. I know a handsome man when I see one, but I also know a beautiful woman when I see one. That doesn't mean I feel any desire from seeing them... from what I've understood, there are people who do feel sexual desire when seeing an attractive stranger.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 11:28 am

I don’t experience sexual desire for a person I’m not emotionally intimate with. Some women do, though.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2019, 2:09 pm

Men can go to bordels and have sex with strangers. I don't think as many women could enjoy that.

I could never have a ONS with a stranger either, but other women can do that. I have never even felt sexually attracted to a stranger and the thought of having physical contact with a stranger is unpleasant.

But I don't really desire emotional intimacy either.

Brisienna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2019, 8:05 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
I also read some quote that says, "The man desires the woman, the woman desires the desire of the man."

There might be some truth to this, but it may not be a sex vs intimacy thing. Rather it might be that men are more likely to make judgements based on visibly observable criteria while women may want more details that have to be gained through conversation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 8:07 pm

I really have to really “like and admire” a person before I feel like making love with that person.