firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 12:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The contentious part is when should a problem, or problems, be declared insurmountable?
That is entirely up to members of the appropriate medical review boards, and not a random collection of self-righteous social justice warriors lacking in medical training.
Who it should be up to (I agree it should be medical professionals) and if and when problems are insurmountable are separate things.
You're muddling the issue.

The people who decide whether or not a problem is insurmountable should be medical professionals exercising their own qualified objectivity (not bigotry), and not those who practice egocentric subjectivity -- not the children, not their parents, not the self-righteous social justice warriors, and not the general public -- only medical professionals should make the distinction, since they have the training, the knowledge, and the more complete understanding of the medical factors involved.

Again, there will always be people who shop around for someone who will sell them the treatments they want without regard to any actual medical needs -- which is why people travel to foreign countries to get the treatments they want -- so the only 'abuse' that occurs is performed by those who treat their patients against the better medical judgment.

I'm not muddling the issue at all . I just strongly believe there has to be some measure of consensus as to when the problems can be called 'insurmountable ' .

If not you are putting medical professionals in a place no different than that of the egocentric subjectivity of the parents etc you regard with such disdain .

The idea that only professionals can be objective / will never let subjectivity sway their decisions to some degree is risible .

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2020, 1:42 pm

magz wrote:
I wish one of the only two trans persons I know - a friend's friend - did this before the transition.
They used to be a guy with serious problems. Now they is a lesbian with serious problems.

I feel bad for all the struggles she must be facing, and I'm infinitely grateful that being allowed to transition has given her one less problem to worry about.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 7:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
only medical professionals should make the distinction, since they have the training, the knowledge, and the more complete understanding of the medical factors involved....

As a scientist at heart, I can say that medicine in practice is an art, not a science.

Between my Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and ASD medical and medicinal adventures (I had three life threatening experiences), I am very clear that doctors are humans who do their best and do NOT Know.