2020 Oscar Nominations: "Joker" Leads With 11!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/2020-oscar-nominations-joker-leads-with-11-754021

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 8:54 pm

I actually saw Joker and wasn't impressed. That is on par because I do not like most of the films nominated for the Oscars.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 1:07 am

Huzzahs!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 5:39 pm

I think my jaw would drop if Joker wins Best Picture.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 7:40 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I actually saw Joker and wasn't impressed. That is on par because I do not like most of the films nominated for the Oscars.

I go so far as to actively avoiding them. - wuth the exception of the foreign language and the technical sections, which I may have seen incidentally. This year's Korean entry, Parasite, is a rare masterpiece.
Joker? Meh. Would maybe watch if I was paid to do so.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 2:26 pm

I thought Joker was a meh movie - watched it recently because of all the Oscar hype. Joaquin Phoenix is the real deal in the movie and for sure deserves the best actor nom and even the award. Beyond that, though, I don't think it did anything else particularly well enough to deserve all the praises its getting.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 5:48 pm

I think the AMPAS didn't respect Phoenix's wish to not be nominated at all (he has said in many interviews he does not want an Oscar at all), so even though it'd be great if he wins Best Actor for Joker (which I think he should), Adam Driver could easily pull off an upset for Marriage Story given all the buzz he's been getting just as much as Phoenix.

I haven't seen 1917, Jojo Rabbit, Little Women, nor Parasite, but will try to do so before February 9th.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 6:05 pm

You all seem to have forgotten three things:

1. Awards shows are how the Hollywood entertainment media pleasures itself.

2. They are also huge popularity contests, where a scandal can influence voters more than the movie itself.

3. The voters are all artsy-fartsy poseurs pretending to be sophisticated when they are really stoned or drunk.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 8:14 pm

Ford v Ferrari - Didn't see it. A driving film? I'd have to be paid to sit through this.
The Irishman - It was okay. Familiar territory for EVERYONE involved, though, so nothing special here.
Jojo Rabbit - A comedy? About Hitler? No thanks. I'd have to be paid to sit through this.
Joker - Very good film. Joaquin Phoenix was very believable as a sociopath.
Little Women - Gag me with a spoon!
Marriage Story - Gag me with a spoon!
1917 - Very good film - in the technical department (cinematography). The acting? Not so much.
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - A film laden with over-rated actors (Pitt, DiCaprio) but pretty good ending.
Parasite - Very good film. I don't think it's the masterpiece people claim it to be, but it's okay.

Which one will win? Probably 1917.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 12:12 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Ford v Ferrari - Didn't see it. A driving film? I'd have to be paid to sit through this.
The Irishman - It was okay. Familiar territory for EVERYONE involved, though, so nothing special here.
Jojo Rabbit - A comedy? About Hitler? No thanks. I'd have to be paid to sit through this.
Joker - Very good film. Joaquin Phoenix was very believable as a sociopath.
Little Women - Gag me with a spoon!
Marriage Story - Gag me with a spoon!
1917 - Very good film - in the technical department (cinematography). The acting? Not so much.
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - A film laden with over-rated actors (Pitt, DiCaprio) but pretty good ending.
Parasite - Very good film. I don't think it's the masterpiece people claim it to be, but it's okay.

Which one will win? Probably 1917.

If people will actually watch it JoJo Rabbit is a powerful film, haven't seen it but to attack it because it features Nazi's means you haven't peeked below the surface level. There's been a blog post about this and the woman attacking the film is stupid af.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 11:07 am

Is "Jojo Rabbit" as funny as "The Producers" or "Springtime for Hitler"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 4:58 pm

Edit.
Okay, okay. I recently acquired Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari and Little Women and will give them a looksee soon.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 5:18 pm

shlaifu wrote:
. This year's Korean entry, Parasite, is a rare masterpiece.

Couldn't agree more!

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2020, 12:14 am

Myke describes Jojo Rabbit best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQL4_cYMNU&t=103s