Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 1:01 am

I mean I don't expect everyone to care about it but they are an amazing Mongolian band so I feel I should mention them in case anyone is interested anyways here is a video

Like these guys are amazing at least in my opinion and I guess much of the world. Granted could be disappointing if you prefer all your music in english....but I myself enjoy hearing other languages even if I cannot understand it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 1:10 am

Also I will add this song because it is so relaxing:

Like I bet if I played this in my room before going to sleep it might just work...its so beautiful.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 7:35 am

Probably already heard this one but this is my fav by them

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 4:20 pm

I like it Sweetleaf, thanks for sharing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 1:09 am

Interesting mix of western rock instruments with traditional Asian fiddles.

He seems to be doing some "throat singing": a type of singing peculiar to the steppes of inner Asia (Tibet, Mongolia, Tuva) straight out of the throat. Some western musicians, like Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead got quite enamored with studying throat singing and how they can hit several notes at once doing it. But to most Western music listeners throat singing is usually a bit hard to listen to when hearing it used in the local folk music. But here they combined throat singing (that sustained croak vibrato he is doing)with heavy metal, and it seems to work.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 12:16 pm

I was introduced to traditional Mongolian music through the documentary... Genghis Blues
http://www.genghisblues.com/
Saw Huun Huur Tu live and it was really great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRX79ynGLgM
Last year I discovered The HU.... everything I like about Mongolian music just keeps growing! :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 1:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Interesting mix of western rock instruments with traditional Asian fiddles.

He seems to be doing some "throat singing": a type of singing peculiar to the steppes of inner Asia (Tibet, Mongolia, Tuva) straight out of the throat. Some western musicians, like Mickey Hart of the Grateful Dead got quite enamored with studying throat singing and how they can hit several notes at once doing it. But to most Western music listeners throat singing is usually a bit hard to listen to when hearing it used in the local folk music. But here they combined throat singing (that sustained croak vibrato he is doing)with heavy metal, and it seems to work.

I guess I could see that, though people who already listen to metal with harsh vocals would probably be more accustomed to that kind of thing. It certainly wasn't at all jarring or anything for me to hear because a lot music I like has kinda growly/harsh vocals. Even mixed with the heavy metal though I could certainly see some people not being able to get into it because they may find the style of singing too harsh, but seems enough people like it that they've been successful.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 7:22 pm

Here are some examples of Tuvan throat singing (Tuva is a little country sandwiched between Mongolia and Asian Russia). Actually its not as horrendous to hear as I remember it from the tape I first heard the type of singing on back in the Nineties. But it is exotic. You can hear it more distinctly in these examples. In the metal rock of Hu it's both buried deeper in the mix, and also IMHO seems to fit in with metal.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 10:54 pm

I responded so quickly I totally messed up... mixing Mongolia with Tuva... thanks to those who mentioned Tuva and reminded me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 1:15 am

pyrrhicwren wrote:
Probably already heard this one but this is my fav by them

Oh yeah I really like that one to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 1:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Here are some examples of Tuvan throat singing (Tuva is a little country sandwiched between Mongolia and Asian Russia). Actually its not as horrendous to hear as I remember it from the tape I first heard the type of singing on back in the Nineties. But it is exotic. You can hear it more distinctly in these examples. In the metal rock of Hu it's both buried deeper in the mix, and also IMHO seems to fit in with metal.

Those are certainly some pretty cool examples.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 5:55 pm

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2020, 12:39 pm

Apparently the lead throat singer from the steppe-folk metal band Tengger Cavalry recently passed away. :( Apparently he contributed vocals for Civilization 6 and the new Doom game. It's the same genre as The HU, but their catalog goes back to 2010 with multiple unique albums.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2020, 12:59 pm

Altai-Kia is Turkic folk band from Kazakhstan. I find the music more melancholy than harsh. Armenian Duduk music has very similar mood (continuous drone behind the melody + sad throaty texture), but with woodwind sounds replacing the throat singing.