Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 6:49 pm

Stefan Halper, a Cambridge University professor in the U.K. was a paid consultant for the Office of Net Assessment (ONA) at the Defense Department (DOD). ONA essentially functions as the Pentagon's internal think tank. In one DOD contract awarded in September 2015, Grassley noted, "Professor Halper lists former Deputy Foreign Minister for Russia, Vyacheslav Trubnikov, as a consultant and advisor to a paper delivered" to ONA. That's significant because Trubnikov is a "known Russian intelligence officer, who was listed by Christopher Steele as a source in the now-debunked Steele dossier, which was used as a predicate to obtain a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant to surveil Trump campaign adviser Carter Page."

The Department of Justice (DOJ) acknowledged on Thursday that the Page FISA warrants were legally insufficient and should never have been issued. Much of the Steele dossier has been proved unsubstantiated, including the dossier's claims that the Trump campaign was paying hackers based out of a non-existent Russian consulate in Miami or that ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen traveled to Prague to conspire with Russians. Special Counsel Robert Mueller also was unable to substantiate the dossier's claims that Page had received a large payment relating to the sale of a share of Rosneft, a Russian oil giant, or that a lurid blackmail tape involving the president existed.

Source: US informant may have received taxpayer funds to spy on Trump campaign, Grassley says

Now the reason why I put this under the Topic "News and Current Events" rather than PPR is because of the following paragraph:

[Senator Chuck] Grassley flagged other potentially problematic ONA projects, including a paper that "focuses largely on Vladimir Putin’s neurological development and potential Asperger’s diagnosis."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 7:40 pm

2015 Wrong Planet thread on this topic

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 8:17 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Is Vladimir Putin an Aspie?
Why do you want Putin to be an aspie?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 11:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. There is also another link here:
Putin Apparently Have Asperger's Syndrome

So this topic apparently made the news five years ago, that is interesting.

Fnord wrote:
Why do you want Putin to be an aspie?

I don't want him to be an Aspie or not want him to be an Aspie. I just found it interesting that it showed up in the current news cycle yesterday.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:25 pm

The CIA has suggested Putin has Aspergers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

I've just looked at the other two threads - the Pentagon article is priceless :lol: Since I have no sympathy for Putin, I couldn't care less, but this is a rather childish attempt of a smear campaign (not that he didn't have it coming lol)

Read the article, it's only speculation and they admit themselves they don't have a shred of proof - it would be amusing to count how many times they use the word "believe". But they prove plentifully they have no understanding of cultural differences, the huge importance of strong patriarchal figures in Russian history and culture and the way such figures are expected to behave and express themselves. There are plenty of other cultures where smiling non-stop and gesticulating a lot is seen in a negative light. I've seen myself some European politicians trying to emulate their American counterparts' manner and gestures and looking ludicrous - Putin isn't very good at it either and he doesn't act like that at home.

Putin should be called out on his horrible crimes - maybe they thought that wouldn't discredit in his own country, but claiming he has a "neurological disorder" would. Either way, they failed miserably.

This being said, given Putin's past and all the things he did, I can't imagine he's anywhere near "normal" - tyrants rarely are - and I would have fewer reservations believing he's a sociopath.

*Hint: yes, I'm getting sick of the media and uneducated public trying to pin the autism label on criminals and psychopaths*

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 3:30 pm

Actually, this post sums it up much better than I did:

B19 wrote:
I read this in the paper about a month ago.

I think it's absolute nonsense and motivated by political propaganda - they want to smear Putin, and think this will lower any regard for him in the public mind.

Putin is doing a more than adequate job of smearing himself, his outrageous stance toward the Ukraine unveils any statesman-like pretence of late.

It seems unlikely to me that anyone on the spectrum could survive in the KGB for decades and rise to the top of it because you would need extreme people awareness skills just to survive at all in the KGB (which no doubt still exists in some form).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=276065&start=30#p6515119

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 4:33 pm

If the CIA thinks that Putin is an aspie then the CIA must have Down's Syndrome!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If the CIA thinks that Putin is an aspie then the CIA must have Down's Syndrome!
I never said they were right but it was a wrongplanet post from maybe 8,9 years ago that said that either the CIA or the pentagon thinks Putin has Aspergers.I read that here.

Also,do we know Putin doesn't have Aspergers,just because we don't like Putin does not mean he doesn't have Aspergers,what do we know about Putin's personality.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 5:04 pm

But that's it - we don't know that he has, we don't know he hasn't. Speculation is really useless in this case.

I don't see how it's relevant anyway, all this armchair diagnosing isn't doing the rest of us any favours.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 5:41 pm

Yes. Yes he is. and because of that, all aspies are evil and horrible. :roll:

Once again world, f**k you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 6:39 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I never said they were right but it was a wrongplanet post from maybe 8,9 years ago that said that either the CIA or the pentagon thinks Putin has Aspergers.I read that here.

Also,do we know Putin doesn't have Aspergers,just because we don't like Putin does not mean he doesn't have Aspergers,what do we know about Putin's personality.

Well..
First off apparently American intelligence is just using the notion that he might be aspie as propaganda against. Hurling it as an epithet when they don't even know what aspergers is!

But also, from what little I know about Putin, it doesn't really compute either way. There is no reason to think that he is an aspie, but there is no evidence he isn't that either. Except that I doubt that an aspie could make it through training to be a KGB agent. Aspies might excel as certain kinds of employees of the KGB (like they might as certain kinds of employees of the CIA), but not as an actual agent, I would think.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 2:04 am

Maybe it is the CIA or whoever using it to make Putin look bad or embarrass him from their perspective. I think I read something about stories about Muammar Gaddafi being a transvestite being put out for the same reason. But I have no idea.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 1:51 am

Putin isn't on the autistic spectrum. He's just an emotionless psychopath, no different from the other KGB operators.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 1:52 am

EzraS wrote:
Maybe it is the CIA or whoever using it to make Putin look bad or embarrass him from their perspective. I think I read something about stories about Muammar Gaddafi being a transvestite being put out for the same reason. But I have no idea.

Why take the side of an enemy like Putin against our own intelligence agencies?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 1:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Why take the side of an enemy like Putin against our own intelligence agencies?

You made that up. I was just theorizing on where the notion that he has Aspergers might have come from.