Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 4:32 am

I’m trying to eat healthier & I’m on diet, I been eating some organic fruits & drinking organic soymilk, I found an organic jelly. I read salads in bags have chemicals Long time ago, I wonder if it really ok to eat? If you put salad bags in the freezer, will it be a bad idea?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 7:42 am

The lettuce tends to get slimy as it defrosts. But, you could eat it really cold and maybe it wouldn't.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 7:43 pm

I have never heard of freezing lettuce and the like. I think as long as you rinse off lettuce and other vegetables they are safe to eat.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 10:51 pm

If you freeze lettuce it will go all limp and become all slimy and gross. I learned this by accident.
The whole organic craze is nothing but nonsense, fear mongering and pseudoscience.

And not all chemicals are bad or toxic. Water is actually a chemical.

And I also heard that the smell of freshly cut cucumbers and vegetables and even grass of your lawn is actually the "screams" of their wounded bodies as they die. :twisted:

I guess really does mean eating plants and vegan food is wrong, too. We'll all just have to starve, then. :roll:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jan 2020, 11:18 pm

Hmmm.... that leaves us with salt alone, until someone harvesting it harms the water or rocks its extracted from... :?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 12:49 am

Basically, if you freeze vegetables the water in the cells expands and bursts through the cell walls, resulting in limp, mushy grossness.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 1:46 am

do NOT freeze leafy greens

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 2:09 am

So salads in bags are really safe to eat?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 2:11 am

just wash them really well.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2020, 4:21 am

^Agree 100% with Kip. Wash well and perfectly OK.

Leafy greens can't be frozen however. Actually I don't even like the taste of any bought frozen vegetables e.g. mixed veg, carrots or peas - they have no taste compared to fresh.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 6:16 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
So salads in bags are really safe to eat?

Get organic if you want to be doubly sure. Never freeze salad. You can buy frozen spinach, but it's already wilted/cooked.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2020, 9:58 am

I've found living lettuce to be the best for longevity in the fridge. Just tear off the amount of leaves needed per salad. If your fridge gets very cold at the bottom, keep your greens in higher areas.

Since I find iceberg lettuce too boring, I tend to like bagged spring mix as a salad base. Make sure to check the bottom of bagged salads visibly to help ensure you're not purchasing slimy salad. Once home, get the mix out of the bag to mostly dry it. Then put it back in the bag, box, or a ziploc with a folded dry paper towel. This will leave enough moisture for the lettuce. Again, if your fridge gets very cold at the bottom, keep your greens in higher areas.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm

I bought three bags of salads & cucumbers, next time I will get organic avocados.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The whole organic craze is nothing but nonsense, fear mongering and pseudoscience.

I always thought organic is healthier than regular fruit & vegetables?

Quote:
And I also heard that the smell of freshly cut cucumbers and vegetables and even grass of your lawn is actually the "screams" of their wounded bodies as they die. :twisted:

I don’t understand

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 7:07 pm

^ Depends on the fruit or vegetable, there are some very old (C19th) metallic oxide sprays (which are worse for you than modern ones) that are allowed as organic on, for instance, apples in some countries: you have to know the regulations in force where you live to know on a species by species basis.

And the screaming vegetables is a hippy thing: I think brought up in jest.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 2:41 pm

Karamazov wrote:
And the screaming vegetables is a hippy thing: I think brought up in jest.

It's more a matter of knowing that plants use pheromones to communicate and that one of the things they'll communicate is when they're being damaged, causing co-specifics to respond to the threat.

Quote:
The evidence for plant communication is only a few decades old, but in that short time it has leapfrogged from electrifying discovery to decisive debunking to resurrection. Two studies published in 1983 demonstrated that willow trees, poplars and sugar maples can warn each other about insect attacks: Intact, undamaged trees near ones that are infested with hungry bugs begin pumping out bug-repelling chemicals to ward off attack. They somehow know what their neighbors are experiencing, and react to it. The mind-bending implication was that brainless trees could send, receive and interpret messages.

https://www.wired.com/2013/12/secret-la ... of-plants/

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2343 ... -eaten.htm

Basically, whether or not it's "a hippy thing brought up in jest" or not, there's actually a credible basis for the notion. Whether or not it applies to harvested fruit and vegetables would be another matter from whether or not it occurs in plants that are rooted and growing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う