Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

chemicalsandotherpeopleswords
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2020, 9:03 am

Sometimes I feel like there is something fundamentally trainwrecky about the way I think. For example, the time I was trying to "move house" but 1. I hadn't understood the dates right and it hadn't occured to me to double-check so I had a small period of time when I wasn't supposed to reside in either house, and 2. I was trying to "move house" by putting my stuff in plastic grocery bags, piling myself with them, and taking them on the bus as things spilled in the aisle because a. it had not occured to me to use an Uber and b. it had not occured to me to budget ahead for an Uber so I had probably done something like deciding there was something horribly wrong with the food and throwing it out and replacing it or not getting enough groceries because I was planning to replace food with willpower but then realizing I couldn't and replacing groceries with Twinkies from the neighborhood convenience store, and, 3. I left a big bag of books in a museum because I thought I would remember to come back for it later, but I never came back for it.

And I think maybe if I had a better way to take voice notes, or had a better type of help, or if I made a better guide to life, or if I learned more skills and experience.

I feel like I have been like this since I hit my head a few years ago.

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right!"

"Congratulations to the dry eyes, and consolations to the nice guys"

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 9:30 pm

Yeah. Same here. The only thing that helps is talking/writing to multiple trusted people and asking them to help me . They write, or talk, and tell me what to do.

I miss that about being a child. You got told what to do all the time.

The less structure (e.g. recess, free period) the worse I felt, like I was floating and about to fall.

ASD = needs structure, needs steps, needs advice, needs guidance.

Without that, it's like denying a person with a broken leg a crutch or wheelchair. Others have to help. It's good you got the problem (became aware of it ) and wrote it down. That's big--as you could be like me and go through most of your life not understanding and not being able to put it in words, in fact I denied having problems (because I didn't know what it was), so nobody could help.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 12:00 am

This is what they mean when they say we have problems with "executive functioning."

I'm starting a company now, but I'd never be able to do it without help.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 12:17 am

wish i knew to start a company. :duh:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 12:54 am

am very sorry you have to go through a tough period . my executive function is mostly hit and miss.
but have watched and listened carefully to instructions in the past . Many times just repeat repeat repeat things over and over to ourself . Fight very hard to avoid intrusive side distractions .
am able to follow patterns ,, find myself pretty much ignoring any outside patterns till 1 st pattern is finished. and disregarding outside discussion.. even if am repeating outloud in public.. work very hard at self correcting patterns. Am somewhat lucky in some situations am able to recall old adages , very simple ones that i can repeat , that are based on generational old advise .
All of them are are good . <Dont count chickens before they hatch> basic ones are good.
Takes effort to be centered . And can be agreat strain on the brain.. but , it is important to getting task done. after the task is over you can then be , distracted , it was / is a serious effort .
if there is NO help coming then , i must understand that , must act on that basis. and not have expectations , of it. Just go and do .. gotta remember nourishment.. that is important to keeping your process on task .. A watch can be handy ,, if you associate numbers with actions .
Allow certain time to do , must do things . Food ,Sleep, Allow certain tasks certain times ..
later as task becomes more complete .. next time segment, next thing to do .. Later on you can make days to relax , when stuff is done. Entertainment will be also important .. time segment or a entire day after , you have done the task , is important too. ,< First things First> okay good luck with your stuff.

where ever you go ,there you are

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 11:30 pm

My difficulty with exec functioning is the reason my parents will be penniless shortly.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 1:00 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
My difficulty with exec functioning is the reason my parents will be penniless shortly.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :( >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

where ever you go ,there you are