Why do others tell me to go to a technical school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 10:00 pm

Why do others tell me to attend a technical school instead of college? I thought college was supposed to be a badge of honor but apparently it’s a waste of time to those who tell me to go to a technical school instead.

From what I know about technical schools, they sound daunting and isolating as well. In addition to having to learn a trade from scratch (I have no background in any sort of trade or abilities with my hands), I would also be socially isolated. My redneck father also thought it would “cure” me and I kept rejecting his suggestion to go every time he brought it up.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 12:16 am

Marknis wrote:
Why do others tell me to attend a technical school instead of college? I thought college was supposed to be a badge of honor but apparently it’s a waste of time to those who tell me to go to a technical school instead.

From what I know about technical schools, they sound daunting and isolating as well. In addition to having to learn a trade from scratch (I have no background in any sort of trade or abilities with my hands), I would also be socially isolated. My redneck father also thought it would “cure” me and I kept rejecting his suggestion to go every time he brought it up.

Before you can decide what kind of school would be best, you first need to decide what you want to do for a living in the long run.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 1:29 am

These others tell you that maybe because they think that you cant make it in the world if you have to rely on people skills. These folks see your autistic traits and reason that this guy had better learn a trade. Liberal arts is for folks who can become administrators, or do sales, or be managers, or supervisors. He cant do that stuff so he should learn how to do wiring, or plumbing, or like that.

whether all of these folks are right in thinking that I don't know.

From your posts about your life apparently you are rather strongly autistic.

So these folks are probably right about that part. The rest I don't know.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 1:42 am

Like they said above explore what interests you and go from there. Imagine doing something 40+ hours per week the rest of your life in a profession you didn't want to do nor like. There is nothing at all wrong with trade or technical schools especially in a changing technical world. Currently, people 40-55 in previously held trades are having to be retrained or go to school to adapt to the workforce. You are actually a step ahead. Your talents will be rewarded.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 9:54 am

One of my nephews went to a trade school and is now a licensed plumber. He makes more than I do with a doctorate degree in chemistry. So, do not count it out if you want to make it to a career that can pay well.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 10:17 am

Some people's social isolation is the freedom to do your job without having to waste time interacting with customers.

Someone prepping cars for painting may never have to talk to customers. The guy who does the actual painting does that.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2020, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Why do others tell me to attend a technical school instead of college?

Today there is a huge lack of people in the work force that are educated in the trades. In this day and age, basically everybody in some way or form, is aiming for higher education.
It's actually a problem in most industrialized countries in the world - the basic trades have gotten a bad rep, so everybody heads for college and uni.
Looking at the stats for my own country, basically the only high-education job that's on the list for well-paid, secure jobs, are medical doctors. The rest are basically things like plumbers, farmers, carpenters, electricians, truckers etc.
In Denmark, we actually have big problems with heavyweight academics that can't get jobs.

So what can it net you in the 2020's? It really can net you high pay and a steady, stable job - much more than most office jobs ever can.
Plus, IMO the best thing about a trade job, is that you're not trapped in an office all day.

I'd actually recommend most trade jobs for aspies. Interactions with customers is fairly limited (even in their own home) and the tasks are well-defined (Set up this carport as per the drawing, or get this load from here to NY ASAP).
Even though the office was basically in shambles - I found my latest job as a service technician quite liberating. First off because the job was in the field (outside of an office) most of the time.
Second, because planning a setup with the customer mostly took only 5 minutes - and I could complete the install in relative peace (and then usually interruptions would be the customer offering a cup of coffee :D )
Third, I could take the time needed for the install (though within reason) without a manager bickering at me to hurry up.
Fourth, I felt that my knowledge was actually acknowledged and, most importantly, appreciated. (This actually floored me, since i've done helpdesk and support jobs)

Of course, you may meet the occasional difficult customer - but i've found they are really a one-in-a-million case when working face-to-face with them.

Quote:
(I have no background in any sort of trade or abilities with my hands)

While I have seen the light from the trades - I do know that the best path you can take - is the path that follows your interests. What I did when I had to choose, was to take the field I had an ample amount of knowledge in - so I went into IT. It was a field I knew a alot about, had previous skill and experience in, plus the education could be completed in a reasonable amount of time...

However, if your interests are creative in nature, the education market can be a bit of a minefield - Liberal arts, for instance, is basically useless.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 3:50 am

In general, you can work in the physical realm with fewer interpersonal skills. I think that university has become a huge ripoff in the US, more concerned with helping the economy than the student, and the adults that result.
In the trades, you need at least moderate manual skill, but ingenuity is more valuable in many jobs.
I am an engineer, but I'm also a handyman. I can not only do my own prototyping, I save vast sums by doing my own repair work, and always have a fallback job with flexible duration.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 4:10 am

Totally agree with these comments. I went to a technical college and I enjoyed learning practical skills. I've had all sorts of jobs because of that training.

Who cares about prestige when you can be happy working away at a skill you enjoy.

I can confirm. I have very little customer interaction. I'm mostly just working away at my computer.

They are not recommending this because they look down on you. They want you to be able to learn a useful skill. Your parents can be a bit harsh, but they do suppot you eigjt now finacially and know that one day they won't be around to support you and want you to be able to look after yourself.