Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 8:08 am

I met my uncle's new roommate, who is gonna help me move into my new apartment... We were bonding over the fact we both get mental health services, but he said his dx was Antisocial Personality Disorder 8O

Seems like a "normal" guy though but I can't tell if he's misdiagnosed or if it's true... Truthfully he's giving me a bit of an "aspie" vibe with his memorization of Bible verses...

This is just a disorder I'm unfamiliar with and I need to know what to notice, just saying, though I try not to judge since I'm diagnosed with a personality disorder too...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 8:29 am

I’d be careful with a person with that diagnosis.

They might be pleasant at the start, in order to gain your friendship. But after they take your friendship for granted, they might not be so pleasant.

Have you done research on Antisocial Personality Disorder?

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 8:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

They might be pleasant at the start, in order to gain your friendship. But after they take your friendship for granted, they might not be so pleasant.

^ Wise advice.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2020, 9:11 am

Angnix, dealing with persons with any personality disorder requires very firm boundaries of yourself, otherwise you get sucked into never ending hell of their unsolvable problems.
Are you working with your therapist on reinforcing your boundaries?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 3:48 pm

My husband had borderline, I'm diagnosed with borderline.... I know how this goes, I'm being careful

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Feb 2020, 1:14 am

I guess it's possible the guy is really an Aspie who's misdiagnosed. From what I've seen in L&D section, there is some overlap & confusion between Antisocial & Aspies. Someone who's likely antisocial is being mistaken for an Aspie either by the poster & sometimes people in the medical/psych community as well. So I guess it's possible the other way could happen too. I think the big difference to watch for is if the person has really good social skills or not. Someone with antisocial will be very skilled socially & knows how to take advantage of others(think dishonest car salesmen) whereas an Aspie is socially awkward & keeps making social mistakes that they would have nothing to gain from.

kraftiekortie wrote:

Good advice.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 2:48 am

Well he keeps randomly rubbings his hands together (a stim?) And then he got really excited about something and started jumping up and down arm flapping 8O I joined in LOL!! !

I've noticed he has some flat effect going on except when excited, etc, I don't know if that's possibly antisocial or ASD, etc...

Anyway my new apartment is SWEET but my uncle and everyone keeps getting too busy to help me get my stuff in so I keep spending the night with him and his roommate and a third guy (the guy I'm talking about in this thread is my uncle's roommate)

Being around all these guys though 8O

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:13 pm

Ahhh, I figured out the diagnosis... He did jail time. But he and my uncle tell me he was framed...

Anyway I've heard this before, I found out years after I was married my husband was a serious criminal and did prison time and everything, but he claims the particular crimes he went to prison for he was framed.... I just never said that on here. My husband didn't get in trouble or do anything wrong in front of me however. But he did lie. He first claimed he knew about prison because he worked as a prison guard... When I found out the truth I freaked.

Then my little cousin starts casually talking about his crimes and he admitted to them...

Oh my Lord....

Why I'm mentioning this the guy is actively trying to find a girlfriend (he was playing on a dating app while I was there) and for a month he messages me most days, now he's giving me presents, we were laughing and joking until 4 in the morning last night, etc... Like he's considering me, but I have a hard time because my uncle says he's nice to everyone... And unlike my departed husband he's very close in age to me. I really don't want to chance if he's really antisocial though... Darn I really can't tell... :x

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:16 pm

I work in criminal justice.

People usually only get jail time if they've been convicted of a misdemeanor a few times. Usually, people convicted of misdemeanors in NYC get community service. The next step is probation. Then jail.

Unless it's an especially heinous misdemeanor or felony.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I work in criminal justice.

People usually only get jail time if they've been convicted of a misdemeanor a few times. Usually, people convicted of misdemeanors in NYC get community service. The next step is probation. Then jail.

Unless it's an especially heinous misdemeanor or felony.

I'm not going to say what out of privacy, but I looked up the crime and it's a severe misdemeanor or a felony. His story was someone wanted revenge on him for something so they accused him of something heinous.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:51 pm

I wouldn't ask you that sort of personal question.

I understand what you mean. These sorts of "revenge" things do happen.

But still....be wary.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:56 pm

What did they want revenge for? He is admitting he did something terrible before he got framed.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 10:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What did they want revenge for? He is admitting he did something terrible before he got framed.

Because the accusors wanted him to commit a different crime for them (the story was between relatives) and he refused.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 10:12 pm

Anyway I didn't understand why I was told such personal things..... When he said he hides it from most people. Unless he wanted to see if I would accept him anyway? Or I seemed trustworthy? Maybe I'll delete this thread... Idk...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 10:18 pm

I’m sorry, Angnix.

But you got a great deal. Don’t blow it because of a man.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Feb 2020, 2:38 am

Angnix... you have gone through a lot with your late husband and his personality disorders. It's time you care for Yourself :heart: Try to get some distance from all these people and hear what You want from life now. Maybe some... alone time to rest?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>