Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 4:12 am

No-one even replied to my speech. It took me such a long time to write it. :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 4:42 am

smudge wrote:
No-one even replied to my speech. It took me such a long time to write it. :wink:

I got more responses from Porky Pig! :lol:

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 5:53 am

smudge wrote:

Fortunately for me, I didn't have to write my own speech. See above.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 6:39 am

kokopelli wrote:
smudge wrote:

Fortunately for me, I didn't have to write my own speech. See above.

It was a joke. Kraftie got it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 9:32 am

I'm not writing my obituary-----until I'm on death's door. If then.

I probably should allow someone else to write it, actually.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:09 am

smudge wrote:
At long last I am able to say a few words of my own. I have never wanted to withhold anything, but until now it has not been constitutionally possible for me to speak.

A few hours ago I discharged my last duty as Queen and Empress, and now that I have been succeeded by my sister, the Duchess of York, IsabellaLinton, my first words must be to declare my allegiance to her. This I do with all my heart.

You all know the reasons which have impelled me to renounce the throne. But I want you to understand that in making up my mind I did not forget the planet or the empire, which, as Princess of Wales and lately as Queen, I have for thirteen years tried to serve.

But you must believe me when I tell you that I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as Queen as I would wish to do without the help and support of the dog I love.

And I want you to know that the decision I have made has been mine and mine alone. This was a thing I had to judge entirely for myself. The other person most nearly concerned has tried up to the last to persuade me to take a different course.
I have made this, the most serious decision of my life, only upon the single thought of what would, in the end, be best for all.

This decision has been made less difficult to me by the sure knowledge that my sister, with her long training in the public affairs of this planet and with her fine qualities, will be able to take my place forthwith without interruption or injury to the life and progress of the empire. And she has one matchless blessing, enjoyed by so many of you, and not bestowed on me - a happy home with her husband and pets.

During these hard days I have been comforted by her majesty my mother and by my family. The ministers of the crown, and in particular, envirozentinel, the Prime Minister, have always treated me with full consideration. There has never been any constitutional difference between me and them, and between me and Parliament.

Bred in the constitutional tradition by my father, I should never have allowed any such issue to arise. Ever since I was Princess of Wales, and later on when I occupied the throne, I have been treated with the greatest kindness by all classes of the people wherever I have lived or journeyed throughout the empire. For that I am very grateful.

I now quit altogether public affairs and I lay down my burden. It may be some time before I return to my native land, but I shall always follow the fortunes of the Wrong Planet race and empire with profound interest, and if at any time in the future I can be found of service to her majesty in a private station, I shall not fail.

And now, we all have a new Queen. I wish her and you, her people, happiness and prosperity with all my heart.

God bless you all!

God save the Queen!

8O I just saw this, smudge!

Let me finish my tea before I reply!!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:38 am

A dragon looked down on a peculiar scene.
She saw a planet full of citizens; each was a different shade of green.
Her travels had left her weary and lost.
A new land, but at what cost?

Perhaps I should keep flying and steer clear.
I guess I'll lie here and rest for a while.
A nice long nap sat on the top of a gold pile.
That's what the dragon thought, whilst with herself, she fought.

I'm afraid that this dragon could not stay, for she must be on her way.
For dragons come and go as they please, but keeping one around is not done with ease.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:50 am

There's some brilliant stuff in this thread.

There Are Four Lights!

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 11:22 am

Absolutely! It was a brilliant idea. I am having so much fun reading this.

My humble contribution if I were to leave would be:

Thank you for tolerating my disorganised mind and circular thinking. It may be the wrong planet but it's been home to this alien redheaded teacher. You guys are so smart it's both fascinating and scary. I think you invent words intentionally to embarass me. I'm kosher dust.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 5:36 pm

Kosher dust! Now that's a new one.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 11:03 pm

Teach51 wrote:
Absolutely! It was a brilliant idea. I am having so much fun reading this.

My humble contribution if I were to leave would be:

Thank you for tolerating my disorganised mind and circular thinking. It may be the wrong planet but it's been home to this alien redheaded teacher. You guys are so smart it's both fascinating and scary. I think you invent words intentionally to embarass me. I'm kosher dust.

That is a decent way to sign off. Clearly you are a class act.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 1:51 pm

I was called a Nazi by three members. The Nazi threads were driving me crazy. I feel so different sometimes. I lean towards the right on most issues while everyone else leans towards the left. I feel more like a war relic than a blast from the past. I've tried to cover up by using The Kinks for avatars last year. I'm very close to using Sgt Schultz and other variations of German soldiers again. I've posted things and used many symbols that are frowned upon on WP. I feel like a Nazi sometimes, even though I know that it's just all in my head. It's gotten to the point that I'm afraid to use Sgt Schultz, other variations of German soldiers and Golden Eagles with peace-signs for avatars. I don't want to leave, yet I don't want to scare the people who lean toward the far left.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 3:00 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I was called a Nazi by three members. The Nazi threads were driving me crazy. I feel so different sometimes. I lean towards the right on most issues while everyone else leans towards the left. I feel more like a war relic than a blast from the past. I've tried to cover up by using The Kinks for avatars last year. I'm very close to using Sgt Schultz and other variations of German soldiers again. I've posted things and used many symbols that are frowned upon on WP. I feel like a Nazi sometimes, even though I know that it's just all in my head. It's gotten to the point that I'm afraid to use Sgt Schultz, other variations of German soldiers and Golden Eagles with peace-signs for avatars. I don't want to leave, yet I don't want to scare the people who lean toward the far left.

Anything that smacks of Germany combined with militarism is not going to make you popular on ANY social website (unless its a neo Nazi site, or alt right site). You have to own up to that. It's not just WP.

Even a pic of a lovable oaf like Sgt. Schultz is likely to be misunderstood because of the uniform he wears.

From what I gather you are left of center on LBGT rights, and right of center on everything else. Are more than a bit religious, and wish you were born into a military career family. All of that combined with a fascination for Germany. Though you don't seem to have any German blood - from what I gather.

There are other aspects of German culture besides the Hitler era. To express your Germanophilia you could post pics of German classical composers (Beethoven, Wagner, Schumann, Bach, Brahms, etc.). Or have characters from Wagner's Operas as avatars (like that blonde fat lady who sings in the Ring Cycle). Or for that matter you could post pics of post war German rocknroll bands (like Nena, Kraftwerk, Krokus, or Rammstein).

Or if you hafta go military you could opt for the FIRST, rather than the second world war. Like post pics of the Fokker triplane flown by the Red Baron, or pics of German zeppelins with iron cross insignias on their tails. Swag from the German war machine of the First World War would be less offensive than that from the Second World War because its German, but not Nazi. Still kinda weird but...

Or post a pic of David Hasselhoff. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 5:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Anything that smacks of Germany combined with militarism is not going to make you popular on ANY social website (unless its a neo Nazi site, or alt right site). You have to own up to that. It's not just WP.

Even a pic of a lovable oaf like Sgt. Schultz is likely to be misunderstood because of the uniform he wears.

From what I gather you are left of center on LBGT rights, and right of center on everything else. Are more than a bit religious, and wish you were born into a military career family. All of that combined with a fascination for Germany. Though you don't seem to have any German blood - from what I gather.

There are other aspects of German culture besides the Hitler era. To express your Germanophilia you could post pics of German classical composers (Beethoven, Wagner, Schumann, Bach, Brahms, etc.). Or have characters from Wagner's Operas as avatars (like that blonde fat lady who sings in the Ring Cycle). Or for that matter you could post pics of post war German rocknroll bands (like Nena, Kraftwerk, Krokus, or Rammstein).

Or if you hafta go military you could opt for the FIRST, rather than the second world war. Like post pics of the Fokker triplane flown by the Red Baron, or pics of German zeppelins with iron cross insignias on their tails. Swag from the German war machine of the First World War would be less offensive than that from the Second World War because its German, but not Nazi. Still kinda weird but...

I would never mistake someone in a Sgt. Schultz costume for a Nazi. As you know Sgt. Schultz and the show F Troop which he is from was a comedy. They mocked the Nazi's. If anybody should have been triggered it was the audiences in the 1960s since the war was just 20 years behind them at the time the show aired. I am Jewish. I was a kid at the time. Me and my dad watched the show all the time and we were the opposite of offended. I can understand later generations not getting the intent. If they can't accept the explanation of context that is their problem. WP is supposed to be supportive or at least tolerant of special interests as long as they are not harmful.

Screw SJW's, screw cancel culture, screw presentism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 5:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

I'm really sorry this happened. Stories like this would be the reason I'd leave WP. CockneyRebel is free to have whatever interests he has. He has never been anything but kind and supportive to the other members of WP and he doesn't deserve to be marginalised for his choice of avatar or his interest in Germany. Some people take politics way too far and use it to be divisive on this forum by judging people as left or right wing. I've even seen some of our members labelled as Incel. It's very sad that CR, one of WP's most friendly, valued, and longstanding members, has faced this type of discrimination and felt the need to mask even with an online community of autistic outliers.

Hugs to CR.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 6:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I would never mistake someone in a Sgt. Schultz costume for a Nazi. As you know Sgt. Schultz and the show F Troop which he is from was a comedy. They mocked the Nazi's. If anybody should have been triggered it was the audiences in the 1960s since the war was just 20 years behind them at the time the show aired. I am Jewish. I was a kid at the time. Me and my dad watched the show all the time and we were the opposite of offended. I can understand later generations not getting the intent. If they can't accept the explanation of context that is their problem. WP is supposed to be supportive or at least tolerant of special interests as long as they are not harmful.

Screw SJW's, screw cancel culture, screw presentism.

First off: Were talking about "Hogan's Heroes". Not "F- Troop". The later was about blue jacket wearing soldiers in a fort in the American Old West, not the Sitcom inspired by "Stalag 17".

Second saying that you would "never mistake a person in a Sgt Schultz costume for a Nazi" is utter nonsense. You know full well that if you don a German army uniform of WWII of the type worn by Sgt Schultz you are indistinguishable from someone dressed up as a member of Waffen SS or any other part the army of third Reich. So you know full well that you would be indistinguishable from any generic Nazi.

I watched the show when it was current, when I was in Jr. high. But my WWII era parents almost never watched "that show about lovable Nazis" with me for some reason.