Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 5:36 pm

When I was working, I used to be fine with limited human interaction if I got to do my special interests...

But now being widowed, I can't stand being alone in my new apartment, to the point I'm depressed and I've lost interest in my special interests even (I've got a new bird book I need to still read for example).

I know once I get my vehicle (a relative got one for me and I just need to get it legal) and it gets warmer I can volunteer or even get a little job then I'll feel better, but this current feeling sucks...

Avatar: Image I took from New Pokemon Snap, edited with in-game filters

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2020, 6:10 pm

I think this is a huge problem for older and/or widowed/single etc AS women. We need to form somehow our own Autistic Women's Associations. No-one else will do this for us. But I know that takes a lot of energy. I am trying to establish a pilot group here in my city at the moment and meeting someone next week to discuss possible ways forward and exchange ideas.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 6:12 pm

Congratulations on getting the car. That's excellent.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 7:10 pm

Our senior center has social programs. They have made a special effort to target women who aren't seniors yet, but have issues like being a caregiver for a daughter over 18.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 7:25 pm

lonilyness can be a pain but at a point where most hope for decent personal interaction seems as a waste repeatedly . Lonilyness seems as a expected phenominon .
whereas there is a vaccum in nature , nature will seek to fill it .?. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 7:26 pm

It was rough for me to move through the grief that followed my losses (not a spouse). Some are a decade past and I still feel like I haven't processed them properly. That said, I did find new normals but it took at least one year and most recently up to three years to do so. I don't have advice as I muddled through.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2020, 12:52 am

I think volunteering is a good idea. Like the User above said, i wish there were social programs for people like us

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2020, 5:17 am

B19 wrote:
I think this is a huge problem for older and/or widowed/single etc AS women. We need to form somehow our own Autistic Women's Associations. No-one else will do this for us. But I know that takes a lot of energy. I am trying to establish a pilot group here in my city at the moment and meeting someone next week to discuss possible ways forward and exchange ideas.

The autistic community is very under-organized generally, compared to other disability communities, and compared to other minority communities generally. See this page regarding some of the many kinds of groups I think our community needs.

Good luck with getting your autistic women's association off the ground. Please let us know how it goes.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

It's very heartening to read your vision of the possibilities Mona. I am focusing on adult women, as there are mixed groups available here (not many). Some older AS women here (in New Zealand) have already established great blogs and written books about life as an AS women, and I am currently forming links with them to discuss what the specific aims of an AWA as a group might be and how to help it achieve "lift off" and connect with the women out there, and define what its specific ethos and goals might be.

I hope I will have enough energy left at this stage to see it blossom into something viable.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2020, 6:14 pm

To B19: I've replied to you in the separate new thread Starting and leading autistic peer support & social groups.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Feb 2020, 6:58 pm

It's a good initiative for a thread topic. I don't have anything useful to add at the moment Mona, so will look forward to replies.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
To B19: I've replied to you in the separate new thread Starting and leading autistic peer support & social groups.

one of those days , wish had better grasp of my own health situation ,
appears sometimes that includes my communication skills . 8O

where ever you go ,there you are