Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

29 Feb 2020, 4:46 pm

Sadly,when many people think of Autism,they think of Classic Autism,and they think if you have Asperger Syndrome,you can't struggle in life.Yes Asperger Syndrome is usually much more mild than Classic Autism(LFA or HFA),but this doesn't mean we don't have our own struggles.I usually don't tell people(outside of my parents) that I have AS/ASD unless it's absolutely necessary. However sometimes even my parents find it hard to believe that I'm on the Autism Spectrum because I'm not severe enough.Frustrating cycle.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2020, 12:22 pm

I don't tell people that I'am autistic learned to mask when real young to help not draw attention to myself.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 12:24 pm

sport wrote:
I don't tell people that I'am autistic learned to mask when real young to help not draw attention to myself.

Cool, glad that worked pretty good for you! I do a lot of masking. I also do three-month burnout cycles which aren't a bit of good.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm

I have strong chemical smells and noisy fans in my house because of a flood. The smell isn't bad, it's kind of like lemon ... but I have sensory processing issues and can't be around scent even if it's nice, without feeling ill.

I told the workers that I was autistic and the constant stream of scent was overwhelming.

He told me that it's completely nontoxic and you can drink the disinfectant because it's so safe.

I told him that's not the point. I can't even smell food cooking without feeling sick. I can't have flowers in my house. I added that the sound would keep me from leaving my bedroom. I would need earplugs to step out of my room. He said I would get used to the noise and should block it out.

Again, I told him I'm autistic and I can't do sound or scent without sensory overload.

He looked at me like he had no idea about autism and couldn't believe what I was saying. It was a look of compassion, but utter bewilderment.

Of course he's a tradesman and I don't expect him to be knowledgeable about autism, but I thought I'd educate him since he must work in homes of other autistic people. That was my sensitivity training for the day.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 12:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I have strong chemical smells and noisy fans in my house because of a flood. The smell isn't bad, it's kind of like lemon ... but I have sensory processing issues and can't be around scent even if it's nice, without feeling ill.

I told the workers that I was autistic and the constant stream of scent was overwhelming.

He told me that it's completely nontoxic and you can drink the disinfectant because it's so safe.

I told him that's not the point. I can't even smell food cooking without feeling sick. I can't have flowers in my house. I added that the sound would keep me from leaving my bedroom. I would need earplugs to step out of my room. He said I would get used to the noise and should block it out.

Again, I told him I'm autistic and I can't do sound or scent without sensory overload.

He looked at me like he had no idea about autism and couldn't believe what I was saying. It was a look of compassion, but utter bewilderment.

Of course he's a tradesman and I don't expect him to be knowledgeable about autism, but I thought I'd educate him since he must work in homes of other autistic people. That was my sensitivity training for the day.

That's pretty wild, Isabella--I hope he learned from this; it's not easy for people out there to understand just what it is like to experience the world in a way few other people do.

I hope your house repairs go well; it sounded like you had a right mess.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2020, 1:23 pm

That Isbella is why I don't say anything.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 1:24 pm

Borromeo wrote:
I hope your house repairs go well; it sounded like you had a right mess.

I hope you are OK too, Borromeo. Aren't you in Nashville?

I was there last year for a concert and really enjoyed the city.

I have a photo of me in front of the "I Believe in Nashville" sign on a brick wall. I saw that the wall collapsed. :(

BlueOysterCultist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2020, 12:01 pm

Magna wrote:
"Your autism must be mild."

Last time I got this, I said, "I've been hold it down at about 2 as a courtesy, but since you don't seem to appreciate courtesy I might as well go to 11."

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 9:41 am

When they say it's mild *they* are from the outside comparing it to level 3. When ASD & ASP were merged (DSM) it came with NT confusion. As many people who were mainstreamed know, it is not easy going through life like this. Every new situation can be stressful and a problem. Especially when you have been rejected, made fun of, abused, used, etc. Certain cluster-b personality disorders specifically seek out autistic personality traits to take advantage of and makes things harder compounding social struggles exponentially. Long-term rejection/depression/etc can cause other psychological co-morbidities. (requires some amount of study to know what I'm saying). All ASD/ASP is not the same. ASD is explained as being an umbrella for a spectrum but the differences can be voluminous.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2020, 12:03 pm

What is meant 2-11 is that the levels?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 12:40 pm

HE: "That's funny; you don't LOOK autistic!"

ME: "That's funny; you don't LOOK neurotypical!"

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 1:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
HE: "That's funny; you don't LOOK autistic!"

ME: "That's funny; you don't LOOK neurotypical!"

:lol:

me: "what's it supposed to look like?"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 7:14 pm

'Mild' does not necessarily mean 'low support' to 'no support and accommodations'.
Several of 'those with mild autism' have higher support level required than their 'severity of symptoms' suggests or rather presumed by professionals and onlookers.

Nor does 'severe' may mean 'high support' with 24/7 caretakers and unable to completely learn, grow and eventually accommodate self.
There exists 'those with severe autism' with less support level required than their 'apparent displays of symptoms'. Some of these people fare a better life than those with so-called 'mild autism'.

Basically, it severity does not always equal to support level required.

In my own case it's because I personally don't want them to know.
Not out of shame of being different, but out of pride that no one would have to question or be too concerned about. Also because I hate being reminded of human ignorance to the issue itself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2020, 8:08 am

I agree with you Edna my autism requires some support as I do get mixed up some of the time being mild but not being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2020, 10:01 am

sport wrote:
That Isbella is why I don't say anything.

^Same here. Overexplanation is just not worth it at all.Done too much of it for people that at the end of the day don't care. :( Too, I really have no support system.

MyNameisNic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2020, 5:19 pm

Them: Your autism must be mild.

Sarcastic response ideas:
Your ignorance must be severe.
What's that supposed to mean?! *stern face, then start laughing*
"Being normal is vastly overrated." (from Halloweentown)
Really? I thought my autism was hot. ;)

More realistic, brief responses:
Only until you scratch the surface.
It takes a lot for me to appear "normal".
Mild autism isn't a thing.
Autism is a non-linear spectrum.
My symptoms might appear mild but it doesn't mean that they are.

Diagnosed with ADHD, general anxiety disorder, chronic severe depression. In the process of obtaining an ASD diagnosis.

AQ from Psychology Tools: 45