Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 9:45 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ng-autism/

I can’t post any text from the article here like APOM often does since I’m not a WaPo subscriber, but this looks like an excellent article, written by an Autistic.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 9:51 am

You don't need to be a WaPo subscriber to do a copy-and-paste from their articles.

Quote:
... Imagine having the acuity of your senses turned up to 11. Imagine being keenly aware of every single element of your environment, all the time, especially those you normally, reflexively ignore. Imagine that every time you walk out your front door, it is like being forced to walk too close to a wall of spikes that constantly threaten to impale you.

Then imagine that, under this assault, you concentrate on maintaining an elaborate performance to relate to those around you while suppressing your natural mode of speaking and acting. Before I learned how to do this daily performance, people would cringe from my blank face, my monotone speech, my impatience with normal pleasantries. ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
You don't need to be a WaPo subscriber to do a copy-and-paste from their articles.

It literally wasn’t letting me read it at all without a subscription. Possibly a mobile thing?

#palestinianlivesmatter

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm

Great article—thanks for sharing!

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2020, 9:08 pm

It feels a little insulting that they put this in the "Lifestyle" section. I don't think HFA itself is a health problem, but the stress of almost always going against the current and upwind with inadequate support does lead to health problems.

Perhaps they'd get pushback for putting it in the Health section, but Lifestyle doesn't seem quite right, either.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison