Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2020, 4:25 pm

If you don't like to be autistic
The strange thing is that the greatest philosophers of the world were autistic. At least Heidegger was. Can we derive some meaning of that?
Here's what I tried to write about it:

https://medium.com/@mauriceE/heidegger- ... 28344340a2
https://medium.com/@mauriceE/heidegger- ... c62f0fe4cb

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 7:21 am

All I know about Heidegger I learned from Monty Python, and … that he was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table!

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2020, 3:50 pm

OK, but what's your point?
Heidegger really suffered, year after year, from his condition. He was not understood by other people, and - here's the real trouble - did not understand himself: not too many psychologists around by that time, no wrongplanet forums etc
He felt really alone sometimes
He was gifted, so he thought that might do it. But it didn't
That was no fun

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 3:51 pm

Unfortunately, there is no possible way to know that dead historical figures like Heidegger were truly autistic. All we have is one writer’s opinion on an obscure website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2020, 4:00 pm

You know what
Some person - forum veteran - watches Monthy Python and says Heidegger "he was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table"
And that is fine, no one comments on that
You're talking about Heidegger, man
"Unfortunately, there is no possible way to" I read in the last post
Of course there is. You can read his bio. Did you read Rudiger Safranski's 500 page Heidegger bio, how this man suffered from technology, from "das Man" (the 'they'), from all those talking heads, from city life, being uneasy in the big city Berlin, being happy in the countryside
Read it, and then try to understand him, ... a little; feeling sorry for him, as we can be sorry for ourselves; I am sorry for calling you a bunch of ignorants
Don't feel hurt because you won't
I'll check how to quit this forum

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 5:16 pm

You know what?

Most ordinary people understand that Monty Python skits are satirical, and not to be taken seriously. That is why I don’t question the “boozy beggar” statement - it was never intended to be taken seriously in the first place.

Heidegger was a member of the Nazi party, which tended to execute those exhibiting aberrant social behavior (i.e., aspies like us). I feel no sympathy for Nazis.

Exactly where in the biography does it state that Heidegger was diagnosed as autistic? Or are you trying to somehow connect Naziism with being autistic?

(By the way, if anyone wants to quit this website, they can just stop logging in. Simple.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2020, 5:32 pm

OK, no Heidegger on this forum apparently
First he was portraited as a drunk - satirical, but anyway
Now he is portraited as a nazi, not much better :(

Just black-and-white thinking, what else to expect on an autism forum?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 5:41 pm

If you had actually read his biography, you would know that he was a member of the Nazi party. This is not a slam against him, it is simply the truth.

Do you have a problem with autistic “black and white” thinking, with autistic people, with autism, with the truth, or just with people who disagree with you?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm

Facts:

1 He has been a member of the NSDAP

2 There is no reliable way of knowing if he was on the spectrum or not

3 This does not mean that people can't appreciate his work, his struggles or his personality

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 6:00 pm

For every philosophy, there is an opposing philosophy. Both are equally valid.

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2020, 6:01 pm

Yes, you are right, he was member of the Nazi party, definitely, period

And yes, you're even right that I have difficulty with people who disagree with me - and for that reason I am austic, blame myself ###

Just this thing: if you are happy to establish this fact and that's it, well, then you're done. Heidegger = Nazi, Grischa = idiot, blame, blame, this person = idiot, the other one = also an idiot
Just call everyone an idiot.
But be honest; be honest about what we are, me AND you (perhaps)
and Heidegger also, really, truly;
Apparently you question my thought about him; but ...
About one year after 1933 Heidegger was already done with nazism, you can read that in Safranski's biography
But Heidegger was still having troubles: if you are autistic, troubles are forever
And you can read, on every page of his bio, Heidegger had so much trouble with the noisy and overwhelming world.
On every page of his biography, this shows
And because of that he accepted everything to stop that
Even Hitler, because Hitler promised to stop all the talking of the talking heads at the time: Heidegger wanted it to be silenced! Because he could not stand noise = autism
Within a year Heidegger realised his mistake: you cannot detain/kill anyone for making noise, that is dishonest, unfair, brutal, unethical; yes he was in the nazi party, but not unethical
So he withdrew himself. And he found other ways to withdraw himself from the world of noise, such as in philosophy (again), poetry (Holderlin); in his hut in the mountains, all sorts of ways

In reply to the posts above: yes, no one can say he was autistic
He was "just" constantly withdrawing himself in solitude because he was overexposed by the noise of the world outside
Judge for yourself, what is the difference

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

Settle down, man, nobody called you an idiot 8O

The fact is that he was a member of the party, not necessarily that he identified or stayed true to their ideology. Those were troubled times and many fell into the trap in the beginning. One can form their own ideas as to what made him join and why he might have been afraid to officially cancel his membership. I don't necessarily see his philosophy aligned to Nazi rhetoric and they also used Nietzsche and others in a way he would have probably disapproved of.

The point is that we can only speculate on his motivations and neurology.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you taking this so personally?

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]For every philosophy, there is an opposing philosophy. Both are equally valid.

You speak some definitive, judgmental, know-better-than-thou crap sometimes, and now pure equivocation between all possible opposed ideas?

Will you not claim any stance about reality to be victorious? In your willingness to contort your words and logic in order to be victorious I see weakness. Fear, hatred, and weakness. An unwillingness to let the truth of reality disintegrate the lesser truths clung to like weapons. You hate religious fundamentalists, right? You vicariously, here, beat them with logic? Like one would with a club?

And yet any logic that eludes your immediate grasp is treated as an enemy. It's almost like you cling to your beliefs in the same way they do, you construct them in the same way they do, you are materially the same as them. And yet you hate them. From all the reflexively applicable premises you reach an un-reflexive outcome.

Would the reflexive understanding undermine you as much as them? Would the veneer of logical defense wither immediately?

I won't be here to see your response. I don't care. You are insignificant to my dispositions to reality. I require better arguments for the adoption or deletion of a belief than you can give. You're not as logical as you think. (neither am I - ad hominem, not denied, not applicable, not a valid refutation, etc etc countering exhausting lists of potential ontologic and epistemic defenses. Blah, blah, blah.)

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2020, 6:22 pm

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you taking this so personally?"

Well, not per se; but I read his biography and felt sorry for him; as he is; and feel like him

Then I see reactions coming like: he was a boozy beggar

And then I sort of explode

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2020, 6:32 pm

I posted that Monty Python thing to make gentle fun of... myself, and to both salute, but also, to poke some fun at you, Grischa.

Not to make fun of Heidegger.

Myself by saying something like "all that I know about the topic is what I read once in a comic book". Monty Python would be kinda like a comic book. Low brow pop culture.

But also of you: I am impressed with anyone who even knows who Heidegger was, much less knows anything about his life story. But by that same token I was trying to point out that this MAY be a bit of a non starter of a topic precisely because few other folks besides you know much about the topic.

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2020, 6:34 pm

OK< appreciate that; sorry for misunderstanding
Actually I like Monthy Python a lot, but did not get your point; till now; thanks for explaining

Last edited by Grischa on 07 Mar 2020, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.