Can anyone else 'feel' the rain coming?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2020, 11:46 pm

For me I have always had a feeling I get when I know its going to rain. Sometimes I get it hours before any rain even falls but any time it happens rain definitely falls. LIke its like I feel some kind of pressure difference in my head, plus I get like an energetic feeling...not anxiety like something else, like I can just feel an energy and I know it will rain.

Does anyone else have this?

I asked my NT boyfriend about it, and he said he has no idea what I am talking about when I say that....because he doesn't feel it at all. I used to think maybe everyone noticed stuff like that but turns out it is not the case. That said my NT boyfriend also cannot stand touching the material that's on stove top burners, like one time I saw him with cooking gloves trying to take them out to clean the the pans underneath them as they had gotten a little gunky. So I asked if he needed some help cause for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he was wearing cooking gloves to take out the stove top burner so he could clean the tray that goes underneath, and that's when he told me he can't stand touching those things...so I am perfectly willing to do the burner cleaning since it causes such discomfort to him. But yeah he is not even autistic and still has a sensory issue, luckily I do not have a sensory issue with stove top burners so I can always clean the stove instead.

He was only wearing the gloves because he didn't want to touch it. I also just found it kind of funny he didn't just tell me that and ask me to get the burners out like I would have helped in the first place, but maybe he was embarrassed about it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 5:36 am

Not sure... I may feel something as I get excited if I am cycling etc. I like wet weather cycling. Getting wet is not that pleasant, but once wet, as long as I am not too cold I am having fun!

What I can feel is when I go near strong electric fields like pylons, microwaves, and I can also feel wifi as that is very strong. However, as my brother said we should not turn wifi off at night... I can't feel it so much but I was switching it off before as I was going ill with it. I have been told it is all nonsence, but I am still not right, and the wifi is still on...
It is odd, as maybe it is why I am having so much difficulty going into shops as before I was ok. Now I am panic where simple things make me want to run out, and it is since wifi. I can no longer travel by train or bus unless I really need to.

Interesting. Other people have had nose bleeds since wifi has been set up near their homes. I get it more like a background headache.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 8:04 am

I could in Nevada. Here in Washington it rains so often not usually but sometimes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 8:06 am

I could sometimes “sense” that it’s going to rain/snow.

A vaguely red tinge in the night sky means snow.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 9:12 am

I’m very sensitive to upcoming rain. I get headaches. An old injury in my foot and wrist start tingling. My back also often hurts. I also sometimes get the feeling that the ground is somewhat spinning, which can make me dizzy. I once read that upcoming rain comes with changes barometric pressure, which can affect nerves, ears, joints, etc.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 9:14 am

Yes.

I get a huge feeling of pressure in my head. Also, I'm usually a positive, optimistic person but, when the pressure changes, I feel a corrosive sense of doom and depression.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 9:23 am

I can smell an approaching storm, especially if there is a lot of lightning. My various joint injuries start acting up when the barometric pressure drops quick enough or low enough. Plus, if I can get high enough to see the horizon, a sudden clearing of the air (as well as the obvious storm clouds) tell me that a storm is on the way.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Mar 2020, 9:34 am

Generally I can smell the rain beforehand, but only if I'm outside and thus in more contact with nature than sitting indoors. It depends how sensitive I am to my surroundings. And I do sometimes detect the change in pressure which heralds a storm.

My friend always has to get me away from standing in windows or open doorways to look out at a dramatic storm. I know it can be unsafe but it's so exhilarating.

Certainly rain gives me a very good feeling! Plants respond so much better to rain than to watering cans or hosepipes.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2020, 3:39 pm

I feel this pressure in my head, feel confused, and it gets worse and worse until it suddenly starts raining, and then I'm fine. It's such a release.

revlar
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2020, 9:39 am

I can feel it from the plate and screws in my ankle from a rugby injury. I believe I can smell when it's going to snow.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 10:50 am

My AS mother taught me to watch for tree leaves turning over before a rain. Presumably, there are updrafts and other turbulence ahead of a summer storm. I avoid wi-fi. How do sensitives feel about 'cell phones? I don't have that yet either.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 10:55 am

I feel a lightness in my chest when a big storm is coming, but not just for the bits of rain that happen throughout the year. When a hurricane is approaching I feel so light a have an irrational fear of floating away. I don't think this is predictive, but a reaction of my body independent of my conscious mind. I sort of like the feeling but it is also sort of weird at the same time.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 11:31 am

In the case of electrical storms, lots of people can feel the electrical tension in the air leading up to the storm, and also the increased humidity, too. In the case of non-electric rain or snow storms, not so many people can sense those coming, but there's still a good many who can. I can often smell rain in the clouds overhead before it starts to rain, and I can almost always smell the snow in the clouds before it starts to fall. What's really funny about it in my case is that I have a poor sense of smell for many things, but I can still smell some things, including the weather, which strikes me as odd, because water doesn't have a strong smell. On the other hand, I can't smell skunk, and yes, I've had the chance to smell skunk every time I've driven past dead ones, and the two times one of my dogs had run-ins with skunks. I was the only one in the family who could stand to be near him until after his tomato juice baths.

Anyway, I think this weather sense is kind of built into us, but in some people it's either missing, or defective, or just not used. :nerdy:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 12:37 am

I know that the smell of rain falling on dry ground is called petrichor. I look forward to smelling it when we have these dry Australian summers. A couple of weeks ago we had the threat of rain for days but it only rained a tiny bit, I was so disappointed. But there is rain forecast for the weekend so I'm looking forward to that.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 3:24 am

I get different kinds of feelings about approaching rain, depending on whether it's a thunderstorm or not (and, if so, how strong a thunderstorm), and depending on whether the rain is accompanying a warm front or a cold front.

At least around here, approaching warm fronts are usually accompanied by a gentle drizzle that gradually turns into a steady rain, sometimes heavy. An approaching warm front usually makes me feel sleepy.

Approaching cold fronts, on the other hand, are usually accompanied by intermittent showers and sometimes thunderstorms. To me, the feel of an approaching thunderstorm accompanying a cold front can be very energizing, especially if it's a strong thunderstorm.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 5:37 pm

I feel it in my legs and my joints. When I feel pain, I know the rain is coming.