Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 6:29 am

Like, with a passion???

I know I certainly do...I refer to them as "bobbleheads".
It's like their demeanor is antithetical to ours. Personality-wise, they present as the opposite of a high INTJ, as we tend to be.

I find they're consumed by self-serving confirmation bias, and use all kinds of subliminal tricks that I can actually see through, thanks to my more detached, objective, literal-mindedness.

For instance: he says "I'm giving you this extra widget today for 25% off as a special limited deal.". (No, you ain't _giving_ it to me pal, I gotta pay for it so you can make your numbers and get your bonus, and it disproportionately benefits you than me.)
've
Or the arbitrary BOGO or 20% off that just happens to expire _today_. :roll:
-
Or when you're resistant, they try to "common-sense-shame" you by asking incredulously, "So you're not interested in saving money?". To this hack I just retort sarcastically "no, not really, it's not high on my priority list." I was amused by the stunned reactions :P

I've also used the line "that would be about as useful to me as a solar-powered flashlight", when they try to pitch something that I would ostensibly have no need for, like the cliche of selling fridges to Eskimos.

Sometimes I think many salespeople are the ones with Asperger's, they ignore all clues, interrupt you and go on and on about their product or service when you find the pitch tedious...they're like Jehovah's Witnesses preaching to the anti-choir. :x

One caveat: when it comes to car-buying, you need to be more selectively indignant or dial it back, because if you come off as overly abrasive then if you are later inclined towards buying, the salesman may be less inclined towards getting you a good deal because they may feel upset and vindictive inside. Then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: you just _knew_ they were trying to screw you all along, right? :wink:

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 7:12 am

Jayo, you sound like you are trying to sell me something. :D

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

13 Mar 2020, 9:29 am

I wouldn't say detest but certainly dislike. It always feels like they're trying to trick and bully you. It's already bad enough having an uncomfortable conversation without any of that.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 10:55 am

Whenever I go into a large shop the staff pounce on you 'Do you need any help?' and my standard response is 'Nah, just looking.'

Works every time normally.

Do I actually like them? Not at all, they're trying to sell me something I don't need, want or have a use for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 11:47 am

Detest? Only the ones in America. When you need them, they're nowhere to be found. When you don't need them, they're hanging, around asking stupid questions, or trying to sell you something you don't want or need.

Now, the ones in Asia understand their purpose, which is to assist their customers, not annoy them. American salespeople could really learn a lot from their counterparts in Asia (not Asian salespeople in America).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 11:54 am

I don't really care for salespeople; unfortunately, that's their job to seemingly harass the customers.

I would never want that job.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2020, 11:58 am

I can't stand when I go into a store and someone immediately approaches me and starts asking questions. I want to be left alone when I shop, unless I need to ask a question. I will walk out of a store if people do this. I avoid stores where salespeople are pushy and in-your-face.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 12:04 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I can't stand when I go into a store and someone immediately approaches me and starts asking questions...
It's hard for me to say 'no' when a smiling young woman softly asks if she can be helpful while bowing toward me. I had this experience so many times in the Philippines that I really don't like shopping in America any more.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 1:59 pm

I don't encounter salespeople very often. This may be because I Really detest the customer service people who are supposed to make a purchase worthwhile. I'd rather buy surplus of uncertain pedigree and try to make it work myself. I learn more that way, and get far less frustrated with repeated busywork dictated by some cyborg's script.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:02 pm

no

they are just trying to do their job...as annoying as it is.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm

They are a lot less aggressive here and a simple "no, thank you" or "I'm fine" is usually sufficient. Sometimes they ask if I checked the current offers and leave it at that.

I often wear headphones while shopping and nobody bothers me.

I visited places with a different approach and I don't care if they're just doing their job, I have no obligation whatsoever to put up with it.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:27 pm

I can only remember two occasions where I’ve had to deal with a pushy sales tactic*: on both occasions I ended up buying something I couldn’t afford and didn’t need, just so I could get rid of them politely. :roll:
My wife has declared that I’m now banned from entering shops that have such predators without her there to defend me & my wallet from their foul designs. :mrgreen:

*by pushy, I mean they approach you at all.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:39 pm

Karamazov wrote:
I can only remember two occasions where I’ve had to deal with a pushy sales tactic*: on both occasions I ended up buying something I couldn’t afford and didn’t need, just so I could get rid of them politely. :roll:
My wife has declared that I’m now banned from entering shops that have such predators without her there to defend me & my wallet from their foul designs. :mrgreen:

This is why I despise people who stoop to such tactics: they know very well that they will only be efficient on those who are vulnerable in some way :( Predators is the right word.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:45 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

This is why I despise people who stoop to such tactics: they know very well that they will only be efficient on those who are vulnerable in some way :( Predators is the right word.

Indeed: one of the many jobs I failed to do in my twenties was door to door double glazing sales (why I even applied for that I have no idea), I arrived for the first day, was left in a room on my own to await induction... and overheard them joking and laughing about the tactics they used to get the maximum amount of money out of elderly women who live alone.
I walked out in disgust.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 2:53 pm

Salespeople are often just trying to survive, at something better than mugging. I reserve my outrage for advertisers. There should be no ads at all, just fairly administered search engines for people who already want something. I actively avoid products with high advertising budgets, on the assumption that they need them to make up for technical deficiencies. This has proven true plenty often.

Trivia Time: Marlboro Country is not even on Earth. I once saw an ad showing a full moon near the sun in a sunset behind the cowboy.
I once worked on a set filming an advert for Turtles Chocolates. A gorgeous actress went through about a box of them, smiling, biting, chewing, smiling and then, after hearing "cut" spitting it out into a bucket that appeared in a flash from the sidelines.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 3:06 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Salespeople are often just trying to survive, at something better than mugging. I reserve my outrage for advertisers. There should be no ads at all, just fairly administered search engines for people who already want something. I actively avoid products with high advertising budgets, on the assumption that they need them to make up for technical deficiencies. This has proven true plenty often.

Trivia Time: Marlboro Country is not even on Earth. I once saw an ad showing a full moon near the sun in a sunset behind the cowboy.
I once worked on a set filming an advert for Turtles Chocolates. A gorgeous actress went through about a box of them, smiling, biting, chewing, smiling and then, after hearing "cut" spitting it out into a bucket that appeared in a flash from the sidelines.

I can't have sympathy for anybody praying on the vulnerable. But as I said, we don't get that kind of stuff often in the shops here and I probably didn't get desensitised much.

But you're right, advertising is the much bigger fish. I block it and don't watch tv so I can't remember last time I've seen any of it, must be years.