Veteran

14 Mar 2020, 8:45 am

I used to love it! :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Mar 2020, 4:31 am

I loved those games for Super Nintendo. My parents had preordered two or maybe all 3 of them for me around the holidays & I got em for Christmas presents. They made a Donkey Kong game for Nintendo 64 but it's not a Country game. There's lots of minigames in it & other things that make it much less good. I struggle with lots of the minigames & my girlfriend beat some of em for me but we still never beat the game. They made at least one Donkey Kong game for the Nintendo Wii & I think it's a Country one but I don't have a Wii so I never played it. There was a Donkey Kong cartoon show that I watched a bit of on the Family channel or whatever they were called then. I don't know if they created the show or it was some canceled one that they were just airing.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2020, 12:51 pm

My Boyfriend has the Wii U- Donkey Kong Country Returns. We played for like 45 minutes until i got frustrated for him leaving me behind multiple times. It’s because i was wanting to get all the pieces of the puzzle i believe. I would love to play it by myself or try and get my BF and I to play it again. :)

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2020, 11:52 am

One of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2020, 6:48 am

I’m playing Tropical Freeze at the moment. It is my first DK game. It’s very creative and quite challenging, a nice change to the 2D Mario games which you can easily complete in a day.

botanical statue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2020, 8:06 pm

Definitely some of my favorite games.

AlanSmithee wrote:
One of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Same here. I listen to songs from the 2nd donkey kong country game on an almost daily basis. The soundtrack is very soothing.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 9:29 pm

I used to play with my kids (and when they weren't around). Fun!

ArnoldWilder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2020, 3:39 pm

I loved those games for Super Nintendo. My parents had preordered two or maybe all 3 of them for me around the holidays & I got em for Christmas presents. They made a Donkey Kong game for Nintendo 64 but it's not a Country game. There's lots of minigames in it & other things that make it much less good. I struggle with lots of the minigames & my girlfriend beat some of em for me but we still never beat the game. They made at least one Donkey Kong game for the Nintendo Wii & I think it's a Country one but I don't have a Wii so I never played it. There was a Donkey Kong cartoon show that I watched a bit of on the Family channel or whatever they were called then. I don't know if they created the show or it was some canceled one that they were just airing.

JeannaBee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2020, 2:34 pm

One of the best games to play two player so you can swap in and out. I love the music too. Now I want to play it again! :) So many memories attached to that game.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 6:15 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I’m playing Tropical Freeze at the moment. It is my first DK game. It’s very creative and quite challenging, a nice change to the 2D Mario games which you can easily complete in a day.

Super Mario Bros 2 laughs at your comment. It's a stupidly hard game (often in a bad way).

As for DKC, I think the second one is where the series started to hit its stride. The first one I felt was fairly mediocre in many regards, with not much need for exploration and weak boss fights. The addition of more sprawling level design, hidden collectables, bonus level challenges and a set of more challenging stages leading to an additional ending really added to the depth of the games.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2020, 7:43 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The first one I felt was fairly mediocre in many regards, with not much need for exploration and weak boss fights.
Which boss would you say was the weakest?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2020, 9:06 pm

They're all weak save for the last boss, but the beaver boss would be the worst. Thinking about the answer to that question though was like trying to tell you which bowel movement I've ever had was the worst. To add insult to injury, many of the game's boss fights make you fight the same boss later with a slight palette swap and a barely changed move set.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2020, 10:47 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
save for the last boss,
The fake-credits part was genius.
"King K. Rool"? More like "King T. Roll."
:lol:

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2020, 7:11 am

3 is my favorite, everyone likes 2 but I found it too hard (and you have to pay coins to save). I used to hate the art style but it grew on me, although these games haven't aged well. I finally get the joke with Cranky Kong being an older gamer set in his ways. Tropical Freeze is fun too but very tough.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jul 2020, 4:56 am

usagibryan wrote:
3 is my favorite, everyone likes 2 but I found it too hard (and you have to pay coins to save).
In 3(I think it was) I wasn't able to find all the coins needed to unlock all the corses in the bonus level. I haven't played those games since i got a computer & internet after graduating high-school in 2001. I should play the game again one day & use an online guide to find the 1s i cant on my own.

In my other post I forgot to say that I have the two DK games that were made for NES. The 1s where you play as Mario & climb ladders while dodging the barrels the ape throws. I barely played em thou. IDK if there was a 3rd or not. I only have 1 & 2. When my Super Nintendo cr@pped out 10-15 years ago, I bought a knockoff duel system that plays Super & NES games & I bought NES games on eBay & found some at pawn shop type places. I'm sure I would of played those DK games a lot more if I woulda had em growing up. In the Super Nintendo game Super Mario RPG Legend Of The Seven Stars, there is a room in bowers castle parodying those DK games.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition