Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 9:02 am

Being raised a catholic ,, your appearance , self identifying as a priest , and some of the rudimentary learnings regarding this religion . Causes me to wonder , if using titles in this venue , is apropriate.
The Phrase ' Recovering catholic ' is not lost on me. But for the sake of segragating Aspies by their faith might have useful purposes. Given my own experiences for myself . This concept of religious appearances . To assuage some peoples upbringing sentiments . Does fly in the face of my own more tangible science based belief systems , Brought upon me not necessarily by my choice.
Albeit a more fact based system , might be a common ground base for people here to interact from.
apologies for being abrupt , but merely a tip of the iceberg , of things concerning my sentiments seeing your title on this Planet.. Either way hope your stay is Rewarding in someway to you .

where ever you go ,there you are

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2020, 9:56 am

Jakki wrote:
Being raised a catholic ,, your appearance , self identifying as a priest , and some of the rudimentary learnings regarding this religion . Causes me to wonder , if using titles in this venue , is apropriate.
The Phrase ' Recovering catholic ' is not lost on me. But for the sake of segragating Aspies by their faith might have useful purposes. Given my own experiences for myself . This concept of religious appearances . To assuage some peoples upbringing sentiments . Does fly in the face of my own more tangible science based belief systems , Brought upon me not necessarily by my choice.
Albeit a more fact based system , might be a common ground base for people here to interact from.
apologies for being abrupt , but merely a tip of the iceberg , of things concerning my sentiments seeing your title on this Planet.. Either way hope your stay is Rewarding in someway to you .

My own sense is that autistics / aspies tend to either be those who believe and go every week (or at least attempt it if sensory issues, etc. allow it), or are agnostic / atheist and never go. We either believe or we don't and act based on that, while many NTs go a few times a year either because they leave the question of God unanswered (like how can you) or they go for social reasons (which we don't care much about). If God exists, trying to go to group worship regularly (like weekly) makes sense; if God doesn't exist why go ever?

In other words, while NTS are pretty even across weekly, monthly, a few times a year, and never regarding religious practice, we tend to be on the two ends far more and less in the middle.

Obviously, I'm in the go at least once a week. You seem in the opposite group.

I also think the overly emotive manner religion is taught in many Churches (often with sensory overload issues too) can be counter-productive; and we should work for a more rational, sit down, piece-by-piece explanation to explain the faith to fellow Aspies / autistics.

BTW, I'm not self-identifying as a priest, that's a publicly known fact.

Social Media: @AutisticPriest (autism specific) & @FrMatthewLC (gen Catholic)
YouTube: Autistic Priest
I did the ApsieQuiz Twice: Neurodiverse score 131/135, Neurotypical Score 61/64

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 10:03 am

I'm autistic and I'm in the middle group. I love attending, mainly for the sensory reasons: the scent of the church, the beauty of coloured stained glass, the creak of the pews, the feel of the soft-paged hymnals, my awe at the architecture. I find the sermons very comforting and I enjoy serving my community in charitable acts. However, I do not go weekly because the social aspect is too draining. I can't tolerate when others wear perfume, or stand in my personal space. I don't always have the energy to dress smartly (although not required), to smile, to make small talk, or to deal with leaving my home in general because I'm agoraphobic and have PTSD. I've always wanted to receive private ministry in church so I can ask my own questions without fear of public anxiety.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 10:36 am

Isabella Linton makes very saliete points on why going church serves in many ways but diserves those with , issues of sensory overload periodically . Consequently and obviously the differences in regular attendance , in spite of indoctrination , might be expected.As was written long before me about religion being the Panacea of the masses , plus a comfort issue exists , to be able to acknowledge a common ground between others in basic beliefs.. But your statement regarding not self identifying as a Priest , causes , me to wonder at the title of this thread ...? ( Just Saying )
btw TY for Replying.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 4:49 pm

Jakki wrote:
But your statement regarding not self identifying as a Priest , causes , me to wonder at the title of this thread ...? ( Just Saying )

That was a bit confusing to me too.

Perhaps by saying "I'm not self-identifying as a priest, that's a publicly known fact," he meant to say, "I'm not just self-identifying as a priest, it's a publicly known fact that I'm a legitimately ordained priest"?

The term "self identifying" can be taken as meaning "identified only by oneself and not by any relevant authorities," which I don't think is how you meant it. Apparently by "self identifying as a priest," you just meant "saying that he himself is a priest"?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 6:16 am

Welcome Father.

May I ask you about your opinion about the attempt to have Saint Thorlak recognised as the patron saint for those with autism?

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 6:30 am

AutisticPriest wrote:
My own sense is that autistics / aspies tend to either be those who believe and go every week (or at least attempt it if sensory issues, etc. allow it), or are agnostic / atheist and never go.

Hallelujah brother, church is a sensory nightmare for me! I attend church every week, but suffer with sensory overload. The echos of the PA system bouncing around the walls makes it very difficult to concentrate on the sermon. After church everyone mingles around for coffee and a chat, but the cacophony of 80 people all talking at once is unbearable and I find it difficult to fellowship in that context.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2020, 1:18 pm

I never thought in my life I'd meet a priest on the Spectrum. I've long considered this vocation as a possibility if I never find a girlfriend :P Did a lack of romantic success factor in to your decision at all?

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2020, 3:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm autistic and I'm in the middle group. I love attending, mainly for the sensory reasons: the scent of the church, the beauty of coloured stained glass, the creak of the pews, the feel of the soft-paged hymnals, my awe at the architecture. I find the sermons very comforting and I enjoy serving my community in charitable acts. However, I do not go weekly because the social aspect is too draining. I can't tolerate when others wear perfume, or stand in my personal space. I don't always have the energy to dress smartly (although not required), to smile, to make small talk, or to deal with leaving my home in general because I'm agoraphobic and have PTSD. I've always wanted to receive private ministry in church so I can ask my own questions without fear of public anxiety.

Maybe I should have clarified: I mean attempt to go weekly. I do understand some have overload, meltdowns, social anxiety that mean weekly is not possible.

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2020, 3:39 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Welcome Father.

May I ask you about your opinion about the attempt to have Saint Thorlak recognised as the patron saint for those with autism?

I think we need a patron. I support that and have seen at least 3 other possible saints suggested. I just got the biography of Thorlak by Aimee (who runs that site) but have yet to read it. I think I'll have a better perspective afterwards.

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2020, 3:45 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Jakki wrote:
But your statement regarding not self identifying as a Priest , causes , me to wonder at the title of this thread ...? ( Just Saying )

Perhaps by saying "I'm not self-identifying as a priest, that's a publicly known fact," he meant to say, "I'm not just self-identifying as a priest, it's a publicly known fact that I'm a legitimately ordained priest"?

The term "self identifying" can be taken as meaning "identified only by oneself and not by any relevant authorities," which I don't think is how you meant it. Apparently by "self identifying as a priest," you just meant "saying that he himself is a priest"?

Yes, this is pretty accurate. When I hear someone "identifies as," I take that to mean a self-assessment. Whereas other things are external things. (I have no issue with for example, someone identifying as autistic based on research but difficulty to seek a formal diagnosis in their situation.) Like, on Tuesday (St. Patrick's Day), I'm presuming many will self-identify as more Irish than they are: I'm about 1/4 Irish (about, as 1/16 we're not too sure about) but on St. Patrick's day, I emphasize that mom's maiden name is Irish, implying I'm more like 1/2 Irish.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 10:25 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Thank you Mona for clarification. ! Appreciated !. Am not usually about researching , posters here . Must say have followed some of your writing outside of here out of interest, But you are vetted on this site.
This fellow is new to me .. and the Catholic Religion holds little merit to me
these days . Or actual Interest , leastwise until i feel differently . So adding Fr. to his list name , leaves me wondering ... so that is why my reaction was what it was .

dilbertthefilbert
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2020, 5:26 pm

When did you start suspecting you were autistic? I guess it was after you were ordained and working as a chaplain, from what you said. Did you have any suspicions before then? How old were you when you started to get training pre-seminary? High school?
To be blunt, if it had been known before that you were ASD do you think you'dve washed out of training/seminary ~ at any level? I guess it's considered you'er okay now ~ Bluntly, the Church put so much investment in you, I suppose they don't want to throw it out :wink: ! Seriously, I know you're good. I have read that the contemporary U.S. military won't let people in known to be SD but, if it's discovered, it's not a Get Out pass, they'll keep you (whether wanting to stay in or no).

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2020, 9:29 am

dilbertthefilbert wrote:
When did you start suspecting you were autistic? I guess it was after you were ordained and working as a chaplain, from what you said. Did you have any suspicions before then? How old were you when you started to get training pre-seminary? High school?

I did two years of computer engineering before entering the seminary. I had heard various descriptions of Asperger's in the media before and thought "maybe that's me" but I kind of thought of it as just a slight difference, kind of like a personality trait, not as completely different as it really is. Thus, before I kind of failed as a school chaplain I didn't really take the possibility seriously. The change in the DSM-5 combining autism and Asperger's under ASD happened just before then so prior descriptions I'd heard of autism did not really get me to think "maybe that's me" like descriptions of Asperger's at the time did.

dilbertthefilbert wrote:
To be blunt, if it had been known before that you were ASD do you think you'dve washed out of training/seminary ~ at any level? I guess it's considered you'er okay now ~ Bluntly, the Church put so much investment in you, I suppose they don't want to throw it out :wink: ! Seriously, I know you're good. I have read that the contemporary U.S. military won't let people in known to be SD but, if it's discovered, it's not a Get Out pass, they'll keep you (whether wanting to stay in or no).

I don't know what would have happened in my case. My thoughts are that in 2001, clarity might have been lacking about Asperger's so the community might have taken it as a bit of a red flag. Had I stayed in computer engineering without a diagnosis, there is a good chance I never would have been diagnosed.

In the past year since I've been public, I've been in contact with individuals on the spectrum about discerning a vocation or vocational directors about seeing if they fit. I don't see it as a black and white issue as a lot depends on which manners this person's autism is manifest. If you need lifelong full-time support, religious life or priesthood probably isn't for you. Also, in religious life, can the person live a healthy and fulfilling life in a community of 5-10 others and do ministry. I don't think an autism should be a disqualifier, but I also don't want to push someone into a situation where they won't have a fulfilling life even if from the outside it looks good to them. (I'm thinking a lot about this an might write something up in a magazine for priests.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2020, 10:50 am

Hi Father!

Welcome (back) to WP.

I was a newly diagnosed seminarian when you went public with your diagnosis, and it was very helpful to see.

Chris

AutisticPriest
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2020, 2:57 pm

eeVenye wrote:
Hi Father!

Welcome (back) to WP.

I was a newly diagnosed seminarian when you went public with your diagnosis, and it was very helpful to see.

Chris

Glad I could help.