Page 1 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 6:48 am

It seems to me that most autists are unemployed, live either by their parents, live on welfare, or disability payments. My question ist why is that? Why ist it so Hard for most Autists to geht even a simple job? What makes it exactly so difficult? And what would have to change that more autists could find a job?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 7:14 am

I have a job and live on my own. But unfortunately, it's only a part time job and I'm renting, but I'm convinced I'll get it to change some day.

As for why so many of us are unemployed, there are probably many reasons. Here's a few:

From what I've seen, some of us lack even the most basic understanding of communicating with other people and of social rules, so it's natural that these people won't get jobs. I mean, you wouldn't hire someone who doesn't speak the language your business uses well enough, right? It's the same thing. As for how to fix it, it is not to give those on the spectrum a free pass on not following the rules, it's to put in more effort to teach the rules. If someone who was diagnosed at early age got good coaching on what is socially acceptable etc. right away, they're likely to adabt to the society easier and would be likelier to get jobs.

Another reason is sensory issues. Sometimes it's small stuff, like letting the person use noise cancelling headphones or something, but if someone has serious sensory issues that need lots of adjustments, it's easier to just hire someone else who doesn't need such adjustments.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 7:20 am

A lot of jobs are customer focused, which means you need to do your job without offending the customers.
This can be hard for a lot of people on the spectrum. This can be hard when you are given a lot of conflicting messages and expect to *wink* *wink* know which ones are real and which ones aren't.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 7:25 am

Thats why most autists will always be lonely, right? Not all of course, but most. But i personally dont warnt to live on welfare, or disability payments. Atleast not forever. I want a normal life. And i will try everything in my possibility to achieve a normal life in the future. I dont want to be lonely either. Maybe im not an Autist?

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 7:28 am

BTDT wrote:
A lot of jobs are customer focused, which means you need to do your job without offending the customers.
This can be hard for a lot of people on the spectrum. This can be hard when you are given a lot of conflicting messages and expect to *wink* *wink* know which ones are real and which ones aren't.

I believe many autists are coddled too. If they are coddled too much, they will never ever learn to survive independently.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 7:37 am

Taranos262 wrote:
Thats why most autists will always be lonely, right? Not all of course, but most. But i personally dont warnt to live on welfare, or disability payments. Atleast not forever. I want a normal life. And i will try everything in my possibility to achieve a normal life in the future. I dont want to be lonely either. Maybe im not an Autist?

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. None of those are signs of not having autism (or having autism.) Most people want to be financially independent and make their own money, but some just can't. No one wants to be lonely, but some people need more human contact in order to not feel lonely than others. Many people would probably be very lonely if they lived a life like mine, but to me, who needs less human contact than an average person apparently, this is fine. It's rare for me to be lonely.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 7:46 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. None of those are signs of not having autism (or having autism.) Most people want to be financially independent and make their own money, but some just can't. No one wants to be lonely, but some people need more human contact in order to not feel lonely than others. Many people would probably be very lonely if they lived a life like mine, but to me, who needs less human contact than an average person apparently, this is fine. It's rare for me to be lonely.

The problem is they think im not really able to work. But i didnt even try, now they wont let me try. I dont want to be dependent in welfare or disability. No i want a normal life, not a life in poverty. I live in Switzerland and its called Invalidenversicherung. They dont help me by finding an "Ausbildung", they want to give me disability benefits which would mean im unable to work.

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2020, 7:54 am

It might be the same reason why most of us (especially aspie men)can't get dates and will stay alone forever.Most jobs likely won't hire someone with terrible social skills,just like most women will not date someone who has terrible social skills.Most jobs also won't hire someone with sensory issues and needs accommodations ,just like most women will not date someone with sensory issues for the same reasons.Also some of us also suffer from overprotective parenting,which also effects job and dating prospects.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 7:57 am

Taranos262 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:

The problem is they think im not really able to work. But i didnt even try, now they wont let me try. I dont want to be dependent in welfare or disability. No i want a normal life, not a life in poverty. I live in Switzerland and its called Invalidenversicherung. They dont help me by finding an "Ausbildung", they want to give me disability benefits which would mean im unable to work.

Who do you mean by "they?" And why do they think you can't work, what skills do you lack that makes them think so?

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 7:59 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:

Who do you mean by "they?" And why do they think you can't work, what skills do you lack that makes them think so?

Probably because im 20 and have never worked a job in my life. But that was mainly laziness. But now i cant afford to be lazy.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 8:00 am

rick42 wrote:
It might be the same reason why most of us (especially aspie men)can't get dates and will stay alone forever.Most jobs likely won't hire someone with terrible social skills,just like most women will not date someone who has terrible social skills.Most jobs also won't hire someone with sensory issues and needs accommodations ,just like most women will not date someone with sensory issues for the same reasons.Also some of us also suffer from overprotective parenting,which also effects job and dating prospects.

So its actually easier to be a gay Autist? Because im gay.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 8:15 am

Men are expected to initiate in hetrosexual relationships. Women don't ask men. If you have social issues it is generally easier if someone else does the initiating. So, yes, being gay and merely making yourself socially available is more likely to result in relationships than expecting someone who has social issues to initiate. At least in cultures where you can make yourself socially available, not those where you have to remain closeted.

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2020, 8:29 am

Taranos262 wrote:
rick42 wrote:

So its actually easier to be a gay Autist? Because im gay.

I do believe it's easier to be a homosexual Autistic man than a heterosexual autistic man, being that men are usually more accepting of social difficulties and being weird/different compared to women. The thing is that women usually ether ignore autistic men, and refuse to even a conversation with us or treat us like sh*t,and accuse us of lacking empathy,being weird,acting childish,etc.However men may be accepting or not accepting of us of depend on personality,their situation etc,but rejection is still often the case.Being gay,you have a better shot of finding love/romantic partners than a straight autistic man,however in ether case,don't expect things to be easy when it comes to dating.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 8:50 am

If you're disabled or mentally Ill it seems you have no rights at all. Or am i wrong?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 8:59 am

People are hired not just on the basis of ability to do the work, but also to maintain the feeling that the workers are a friendly team. Since there are not enough jobs to go around, that leaves out the misfits. Still, my main barrier to employment was wanting to do good work, not just survive. This led to considerable self employment.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2020, 9:04 am

My future looks very bleak, its either homelessness or assisted living, they dont give me another choice, they dont give me any freedom. I have no rights at all.