Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 5:51 am

An extended travel ban plus economic sanctions might make them shut down these breeding grounds for the next pandemic

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 7:21 am

Considering they seem to have known about this earlier than they say and used the meantime to funnel western medical supplies into China and then later shipping faulty medical supplies out of China and into Italy on such a scale that one can't help but suspect that it's on purpose, I'd say a punishment on a grander scale than that is in order.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 7:26 am

Time for everyone to start calling it the Chinese Flu.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 8:25 am

Or several other creative names that I've heard tossed about but which I won't replicate. Because we wouldn't want to be racist to the Han Chinese, who are very sensitive when it comes to race and not currently engaged in a genocide at all.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 9:18 am

The world needs China like WWE needs Lesnar , China is holding the best cards , theyre the ones that will call the shots

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:02 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Or several other creative names that I've heard tossed about but which I won't replicate. Because we wouldn't want to be racist to the Han Chinese, who are very sensitive when it comes to race and not currently engaged in a genocide at all.

People are PC carping over Trump calling it the Chinese Flu. I think after what I have been hearing that is exactly what it should be called. Probably more like Shame on the Chinese Flu. Or the Thanks a Lot China Pandemic. Because I do not want to ever see this happen again. Oh but that's racist, as if this thing had played out the same way from Scandinavia, that would make it alright with the whities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:31 am

We must make sure not to be racist against individual Chinese people. It’s the fault of their government and the government’s political ideology.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We must make sure not to be racist against individual Chinese people. It’s the fault of their government and the government’s political ideology.

I think the reason for calling it "Chinese Flu" is more of an attack of the culture of the country than a mere racial attack. The government doesn't own the wet markets, so the fault is just as much on the people who run or support the wet market as it is the government for not regulating things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:49 am

There really should be sensible thoughts applied to seeking to ban the “wet markets.” At least the sale of live, wild animals.

But we still must refrain against racism against Chinese individuals.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:58 am

I didn't understand what a wet market is until I saw a video of someone who recorded a vlog while visiting China during their lockdown and social distancing period. It was only then that I learned what they are. Honestly, everything in those tanks was very gross. Then they also showed an uncooked bat in a soup bowl.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 11:01 am

But identifying a virus that originated in China, spread through Chinese traditional practices, was covered up by the Chinese goverment and ultimately spread from China to everywhere else as "the chinese coronavirus" is not a case of racial prejudice but rather of factual accuracy. And if there's a degree of blame going along with the term, I'd say it's not unjustly assigned.

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I didn't understand what a wet market is until I saw a video of someone who recorded a vlog while visiting China during their lockdown and social distancing period. It was only then that I learned what they are. Honestly, everything in those tanks was very gross. Then they also showed an uncooked bat in a soup bowl.

If that's disturbing to you, don't look up the guy eating white mice dipped in soy sauce, or the guy frying a dog alive.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 11:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Exactly. Same thing as when the PC folks go on about the Russians.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 11:18 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think the reason for calling it "Chinese Flu" is more of an attack of the culture of the country than a mere racial attack. The government doesn't own the wet markets, so the fault is just as much on the people who run or support the wet market as it is the government for not regulating things.

There are a lot of countries where a wet market would be against the law for health reasons. But the citizens as well need to shake off some ancient customs regarding what they consume, if there's chance it is going to cause a global plague.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 11:21 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
But identifying a virus that originated in China, spread through Chinese traditional practices, was covered up by the Chinese goverment and ultimately spread from China to everywhere else as "the chinese coronavirus" is not a case of racial prejudice but rather of factual accuracy. And if there's a degree of blame going along with the term, I'd say it's not unjustly assigned.

Summer_Twilight wrote:

If that's disturbing to you, don't look up the guy eating white mice dipped in soy sauce, or the guy frying a dog alive.

I think I saw a video a while back where people would eat a monkeys brains out if it's skull while it was still alive. Was that something you would see in China or was it a different country?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 11:23 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I think I saw a video a while back where people would eat a monkeys brains out if it's skull while it was still alive. Was that something you would see in China or was it a different country?

I think that movie was called: Faces of Death and was a VHS movie that gained cult status in the 1980s.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 11:33 am

Magna wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I think that movie was called: Faces of Death and was a VHS movie that gained cult status in the 1980s.

Had to watch clip. Very gruesome. Apparently eating monkey brains gives you wisdom and brings you closer to god. And it was Western tourists at the table.

But that's the thing with a lot of these exotic animals being consumed, they supposedly give you mystical powers.