Hobby Lobby: no paid sick leave, God didn’t tell me to pay

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 9:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
I know of a white collar worker who was not only allowed to work from home but tried to steal furniture from his office and then filed workers compensation when he couldn't fit the chair into his car.

I think we may be straying too far from the subject here, but the last email from my work was a warning that we are not allowed to take office furniture to work from home. It took my company awhile to approve taking desktop computers home, I never considered someone might try to take furniture :roll:

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 10:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I think they own one of the fast food brands...maybe chick fill a?

I rarely eat fast food, but I won't go to this one.

Two different companies. Two different owners. Both Evangelical religious. Both separately ventured into controversy.

The Chick-Filet guy refused to cater same sex weddings.

I remember Hobby Lobby being in litigation that took them to the surpreme court, but like Fnord, I forgot why.

Had to look it up. The problem was the affordable care act, and the morning after pill. Mr. Green, owner of Hobby Lobby felt it was against his religion to participate in the ACA because it would mean he would pay for the morning after pill - which violtes his religious beliefs. According to Wiki the Supremes finally ruled in his favor.

But there were other religion related controversies according to Wiki. A customer asked "why are there no Jewish hoiday things stocked in your store?" and an employee told the customer that it violted the owner's religious beliefs. The customer publicly complained.

Now they are starting to stock Jewish holiday things.

He also got into trouble for smuggling ancient artifacts out of Iraq to give to a Bible museum.

The stores are closed on Sunday so the employees can have the sabbath off, but ...God told his wife to tell him...NOT to give them sick leave! Somehow she got a sign from God. Maybe he texted his wife. Or maybe God talked to her from a burning bush?

The burning bush only makes sense about the morning after pill, not covid-19. The refusal to pay for birth control was an idea after his wife's bush was burning one year on their anniversary, so he started by refusing her treatment then later expanded the refusal to pay to employees with similar situations.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 1:54 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Two different companies. Two different owners. Both Evangelical religious. Both separately ventured into controversy.

I remember Hobby Lobby being in litigation that took them to the surpreme court, but like Fnord, I forgot why.

Had to look it up. The problem was the affordable care act, and the morning after pill. Mr. Green, owner of Hobby Lobby felt it was against his religion to participate in the ACA because it would mean he would pay for the morning after pill - which violtes his religious beliefs. According to Wiki the Supremes finally ruled in his favor.

But there were other religion related controversies according to Wiki. A customer asked "why are there no Jewish hoiday things stocked in your store?" and an employee told the customer that it violted the owner's religious beliefs. The customer publicly complained.

He also got into trouble for smuggling ancient artifacts out of Iraq to give to a Bible museum.

The stores are closed on Sunday so the employees can have the sabbath off, but ...God told his wife to tell him...NOT to give them sick leave! Somehow she got a sign from God. Maybe he texted his wife. Or maybe God talked to her from a burning bush?

The burning bush only makes sense about the morning after pill, not covid-19. The refusal to pay for birth control was an idea after his wife's bush was burning one year on their anniversary, so he started by refusing her treatment then later expanded the refusal to pay to employees with similar situations.

If you're gonna take a Biblical reference, and turn it into a dirty joke, at least do it right!

Crabs might make a person's "bush" feel like its "burning". But not pregnancy. AFAIK.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 2:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

If you're gonna take a Biblical reference, and turn it into a dirty joke, at least do it right!

Crabs might make a person's "bush" feel like its "burning". But not pregnancy. AFAIK.

I guess I was a bit too broad with my use of terminology. I meant to make burning bush more of just a general reference to having sex out of marriage.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 2:33 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
In Seattle you get paid sick leave no matter who the employer is.

Because they want you staying home instead of spreading germs.

And a lot of people take advantage of that by taking sick days when they are not really sick.

Why those evil working stiffs! Taking advantage of their rich employers!

I was not attempting to render a judgement.

However as a Christian you condone lying and stealing? I'd be interested in seeing what scripture backs up your ethics.

No, I don't condone lying and stealing. But having been raised in a union household, I know that business commonly attacks their employees as "faking it" when they're legitimately sick and need time off.

You are dodging as usual. I was talking about calling in sick when they weren't, and you said how dare they take advantage of their employers, as though you approved of it.

By the way my understanding of fake sick call offs comes from the working stiffs in the family. They get screwed over by it because they have to cover part or all of the faker's shift, if someone can't be found to come in on their day off.

No, I'm talking about accusations made by employers that are nothing but false and vindictive.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 3:00 pm

And then there are covidiot managers at employers trying to guilt people on 14 day quarantines or self iso into coming back to work early. Someone posted about their manager at Canada Post doing this and everyone collectively told her to file a complaint with her union and tell the manager to F off, basically.

So ridiculous that any employer thinks they can call people back up to the frontlines early from quarantine or self iso rn. Like F off ya greedy jackasses; there’s a global pandemic going on ffs.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 3:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And then there are covidiot managers at employers trying to guilt people on 14 day quarantines or self iso into coming back to work early. Someone posted about their manager at Canada Post doing this and everyone collectively told her to file a complaint with her union and tell the manager to F off, basically.

So ridiculous that any employer thinks they can call people back up to the frontlines early from quarantine or self iso rn. Like F off ya greedy jackasses; there’s a global pandemic going on ffs.

:cheers:

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2020, 11:11 pm

No paid leave means I take meds to suppress my symptoms enough no one thinks I am sick and I go to work and make management sick.

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 11:46 pm

Brehus wrote:
No paid leave means I take meds to suppress my symptoms enough no one thinks I am sick and I go to work and make management sick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2020, 12:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Brehus wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Realistic tho..

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 7:31 am

Well, maybe God didn't tell them to get sick, so they won't (that'll probably work great). Considering who we're talking about, might be they don't believe in viruses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 11:21 am

What a cop-out.  "G^D didn't tell me to support you when you get sick."  This so-called "Christian" should open his Bible (for once) and read from the Gospel according to Luke, 10th Chapter, verses 30 through 37, to wit:

Quote:
... Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.  A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.  So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.  But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.  The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him', he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'  Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him".

Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 4:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
What a cop-out.  "G^D didn't tell me to support you when you get sick."  This so-called "Christian" should open his Bible (for once) and read from the Gospel according to Luke, 10th Chapter, verses 30 through 37, to wit:
Quote:
... Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.  A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.  So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.  But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.  The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him', he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'  Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him".

Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise".

You'd be amazed how religious hypocrites can rationalize away anything Jesus specifically said.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 7:29 pm

CarlM wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I know of a white collar worker who was not only allowed to work from home but tried to steal furniture from his office and then filed workers compensation when he couldn't fit the chair into his car.

I think we may be straying too far from the subject here, but the last email from my work was a warning that we are not allowed to take office furniture to work from home. It took my company awhile to approve taking desktop computers home, I never considered someone might try to take furniture :roll:

There no limits to what humans are capable of....