Want to Move Out of the US/ Have You left Your Home Country?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 3:56 pm

With Constitutional Rights going down the toilet and the US stealing from allies, I think I have gotten fed up enough that I want to leave this country. I just found out Canada, Australia, and other countries allow expedited residency based on being a stock broker While I get taxes might be a bit higher, I am tired of things like FOTSA, the EARN IT ACT, the Patriot Act, and the out of control spending Washington is pushing us into. I was thinking of either moving to Canada or Colombia as both seem to have a live and let live attitude. Further I feel more at home with foreigners than I do Americans. I would consider other countries but getting Canadian residency and then citizenship would still allow me to visit the US and I plan to work for a few more years/ Have any of you left your home country because political stupidity got too bad?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 6:44 pm

I know some people have threatened to leave the U.S. and have posted about it on here within the last three years, but I don't recall anyone actually saying they did. I could be wrong on that.

Since open borders are supposed to be the best way for the world to live according to most in Academia, Media, the EU, Democrat and Progressive ideology, I would be surprised and also very disappointed in the Canadian government if it didn't freely welcome any and all U.S. citizens who wanted to move to Canada. The U.S. has been criticized strongly from a large part of the rest of the Western world for wanting to tighten borders. Canada should freely welcome anyone. Canada should freely welcome you. Open borders = good, right?

This was many years ago (early 1990s), but I tried to cross into Canada with my girlfriend for a simple day trip and was denied entry at the border because I was told I didn't have enough money to go into Canada even if only for a day trip.

Last edited by Magna on 04 Apr 2020, 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 9:23 pm

zacb wrote:
With Constitutional Rights going down the toilet and the US stealing from allies, I think I have gotten fed up enough that I want to leave this country. I just found out Canada, Australia, and other countries allow expedited residency based on being a stock broker While I get taxes might be a bit higher, I am tired of things like FOTSA, the EARN IT ACT, the Patriot Act, and the out of control spending Washington is pushing us into. I was thinking of either moving to Canada or Colombia as both seem to have a live and let live attitude. Further I feel more at home with foreigners than I do Americans. I would consider other countries but getting Canadian residency and then citizenship would still allow me to visit the US and I plan to work for a few more years/ Have any of you left your home country because political stupidity got too bad?

Did I read correctly, you are considering moving to Colombia because the stupidity and corruption in the US has become untenable?
The south American nation of Colombia?

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 9:58 pm

Canada does try to keep government out of the bedroom, and religion doesn't have much influence on policy but it's not exactly live and let live. We have a ton of laws and internet police too. Don't hurt anyone, don't take advantage of anyone - especially children and women and minorities and the disabled and so on and so on and so on. Because all of these people have rights too.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 11:41 pm

shlaifu wrote:
zacb wrote:

Did I read correctly, you are considering moving to Colombia because the stupidity and corruption in the US has become untenable?
The south American nation of Colombia?

Yes because of the warmth, cost of living, and it was once of the places I felt most at home in. I found a really nice town I would not mind living in, the only downside is it is hard to find work that would transfer well and I eventually want to do the perpetual traveler thing so I wanted to set up base outside the US and eventually move to Colombia. It seems pretty live and live outside firearms, but honestly most places are not too pro firearm but Colombia seems laid back and is rather cheap. And yes I have visited there and it is beautiful :) .

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 11:50 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
Canada does try to keep government out of the bedroom, and religion doesn't have much influence on policy but it's not exactly live and let live. We have a ton of laws and internet police too. Don't hurt anyone, don't take advantage of anyone - especially children and women and minorities and the disabled and so on and so on and so on. Because all of these people have rights too.

That was my understanding. I was looking at British Columbia as it seemed laid back on things. As I mentioned the non-absolutist stance on free speech and the higher taxes, along with gun laws were my main concerns, but even within those the US makes exceptions to those that makes the Bill of Rights useless. Further it does seems like Justin Trudeau is ironically more fiscally conservative than Donald Trump, even though President Trump is a Conservative. Further Trump seems like he would be all in favor of monetizing the debt. whereas other countries do not. I think what made me flip on the US is that they want to control encryption and some of the responses to the coronavirus situation seems down right authoritarian (banning Walmart from selling anything but food in Vermont). I get that the response in Canada was comparable to the US (maybe a bit better), but if I am going to compare Apples to Apples Canada seems better at this point.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2020, 3:51 am

Colombia, like quite a lot of countries, has a good climate and lots of natural beauty, but the government has a lot of corruption. It has also been plagued by a decades-long drug war and still has active paramilitaries. It doesn’t have the worst human rights record but safe to say it is a fair way behind the USA: https://www.hrw.org/americas/colombia

Of course, it is up to you what you value in a country.

If you are working in finance, might I suggest Switzerland? It is not as close to how as Canada, or as warm as Australia, but it has a lot of scenic beauty and good access to the rest of Europe.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 4:05 am

Quite frankly I'd like to leave the UK ASAP and move to New Zealand.

Why? Because the UK is NOT a democracy only pretending to be one.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 4:12 am

I moved to Switzerland. It didn't live up to my expectations. My first impressions were that it was like the UK but without all the crazy people but they have their own problems. Living there you hear the word Switzerland ( or die Schweiz) and the word for "foreigner" multiple times daily and people spend a lot of time moaning about taxes, it's a real theme. Apart from that, the police aren't anywhere to be seen after 10pm and the city center starts to resemble Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Colombia, like quite a lot of countries, has a good climate and lots of natural beauty, but the government has a lot of corruption. It has also been plagued by a decades-long drug war and still has active paramilitaries. It doesn’t have the worst human rights record but safe to say it is a fair way behind the USA: https://www.hrw.org/americas/colombia

Of course, it is up to you what you value in a country.

If you are working in finance, might I suggest Switzerland? It is not as close to how as Canada, or as warm as Australia, but it has a lot of scenic beauty and good access to the rest of Europe.

For work it is crap I agree, but in terms of a live and let live attitude it is pretty decent. Also there are a few cities that are pretty safe and are drawn out from the drug war. Places like Medellin and Cartegena are pretty safe, but I was eyeing a city that has relatively low unemployment rate (like 3%) and crime is low as well. It is not one of the main cities but I don't want to draw attention to it because real estate is super cheap. Also when I was there I felt quite at home.(ironic as they are more extroverted and I am more introverted).But I don't plan on going there in the short term but might eventually buy a place there.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 12:10 pm

domineekee wrote:
I moved to Switzerland. It didn't live up to my expectations. My first impressions were that it was like the UK but without all the crazy people but they have their own problems. Living there you hear the word Switzerland ( or die Schweiz) and the word for "foreigner" multiple times daily and people spend a lot of time moaning about taxes, it's a real theme. Apart from that, the police aren't anywhere to be seen after 10pm and the city center starts to resemble Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video.

Interesting. I would have considered a few places a few years ago (Switzerland, New Zealand, Chile), but it seems they have taken an illiberal bent as of late. Canada is not perfect but it seems a little less authoritarian than the US and does not tax it's citizens worldwide. Now inside Canada that is another story.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 12:15 pm

zacb wrote:
domineekee wrote:

Interesting. I would have considered a few places a few years ago (Switzerland, New Zealand, Chile), but it seems they have taken an illiberal bent as of late. Canada is not perfect but it seems a little less authoritarian than the US and does not tax it's citizens worldwide. Now inside Canada that is another story.

I moved there in 98. Maybe it has a more multicultural feel now.

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2020, 9:58 am

There is no escape for people like me except through death. :skull:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 10:08 am

The Missus and I are already constructing our retirement home in her home-country.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 9:13 pm

Tw1ggy wrote:

SIGHES .... fears this maybe the ultimate reality ...... but would consider Schweiz erste

where ever you go ,there you are

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 10:46 pm

Jakki wrote:
Tw1ggy wrote:

SIGHES .... fears this maybe the ultimate reality ...... but would consider Schweiz erste

Yeah... :( as I said before frankly the only bright I can see in all this is knowing that the USA is finally getting exactly what it deserves. Like the old saying goes you make the bed you sleep in. :shrug: