Hi I have read that there is such a thing as Water Intoxicat

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2020, 12:21 am

Hi I have read that there is such a thing as Water Intoxication and or Breathing too much Oxygen Too Much Air Toxicity my question is Water Intoxication and or Oxygen Intoxication the same as Alcohol Intoxication Drunkenness or getting High on Smoking Weed or doing Drugs can water intoxication and or oxygen intoxication make you Lose your Mind like getting Drunk Drunkenness Alcohol Intoxication can or does water intoxication and or oxygen intoxication can make you feel Sick or can Kill you or make you Dizzy or you don't not Think Clearly because you are Sick or Throw Up Vomit from Drinking Too Much Water Really Fast if you Drink Too Much Water Water Intoxication Excessive Water Intake ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_intoxication
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2020, 1:06 am

One time, before an ultimate Frisbee tournament on a very hot day, after a brief warmup my team drank some water to make sure we began hydrated. One of my friends drank too much water too fast and he felt too sick to play and missed the first game. I'm pretty sure he was fine after that, though it was a long time ago, and I can't remember whether it cost him half a game, one game, or 2. I'm not sure what his symptoms were beyond nauseau, but I know for sure that he never chose to do it again.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 12:44 am

Water intoxication, AKA dilutional hyponatraemia.
Excess fluid consumption without corresponding electrolytes can cause issues because the amount of sodium in the blood is massively diluted. This diluted (low) sodium level leads to cells in the body swelling up due to osmotic shift. The cells in the brain also swell and can cause seizures and then death. Water drinking competitions and endurance athletes who don't manage their fluids well can cause it, along with diabetes insipidus. In ultramarathons there is sometimes a requirement for a first aid person to speak to you as you pass through a checkpoint at around 45-60Km and assess your mental status and check your fingers aren't swelling.

The human body has a fantastic ability to regulate it's own fluid and electrolytes, but people who force oral fluids and inappropriate intravenous fluid use in hospitals can defeat the body's attempts to keep things as they should be.

Oxygen toxicity is also a thing but cannot occur without a supply of concentrated oxygen. It is impossible to get oxygen toxicity by breathing deeply on room air. In hospitalised patients supplemental oxygen is always run at the lowest effective concentration. Room air is a whisker under 21% oxygen and oxygen delivered through a standard face mask with oxygen flow at 6-8 litres per minute gives you a fraction of inspired oxygen of around 50%. Higher concentrations for prolonged periods can cause harm to lung tissue and in babies can cause issues with blindness.

Whether it be water or oxygen "sola dosis facit venenum" which means "it's the dose that makes the poison" or everything is poisonous in excess.