Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 7:05 am

A friend posted a picture of her 4-week-old baby on Facebook, and the baby was wearing something that had a huge tag right at the front under her chin that looked as if it was a nuisance being tucked in or out, and the mother probably didn't want to cut it out in case it made a scratchy area, which would be uncomfortable for the baby.

The tag was twice as big as the baby's hands and I wondered why some of these garments have such oversized tags.
I had a pair of underpants once that had a tag that was almost bigger than the underpants. Why? Why so big? Why not just a small, neat tag tucked away with just the store brand on and the washing instructions?

I hate tags!! !! !

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 7:56 am

Just hunted down a shirt I haven’t got round to removing the labels from yet: it has a very small amount of information on a very big label, but the label is full because it’s in seventeen different languages.
In this case I think the purpose is to be able to produce garments for multiple national markets from one unified production process: it would probably cost more to have smaller labels that were country specific.
Also, it probably means that unsold surplus stock in, say, France can be shipped to Poland, for example, and sold there instead with minimum hassle and cost for the business.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 8:06 am

I'm quite amazed that people leave those tags in place. I've cut all tags off of my clothing for many years. I can't stand them. It's not just tags for me, it's also elastic bands. I wear my underwear inside out because of the elastic bands. I like the T-shirts that are tagless, but recently my favorite T-shirts have been an organic cotton-hemp blend in black. I'm surprised I like them because the texture of them isn't entirely smooth. I bought 6-7 of them and had to cut the tags out of them. No big deal.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 8:09 am

And what's up with the shoe laces that are way too long. I have to tie them many times to keep them from dragging on the ground.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 8:24 am

CarlM wrote:
And what's up with the shoe laces that are way too long. I have to tie them many times to keep them from dragging on the ground.

Do you double knot your shoes? I do. My wife thinks it's silly but I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to double knot them. My laces never come untied on their own.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 8:34 am

And I favour ridiculously overlong laces in my boots so I can tie a first knot, double loop them around my ankles and then tie a bow knot: feels more securely supported that way.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Apr 2020, 8:39 am

Magna wrote:
I'm quite amazed that people leave those tags in place. I've cut all tags off of my clothing for many years. I can't stand them. It's not just tags for me, it's also elastic bands. I wear my underwear inside out because of the elastic bands. I like the T-shirts that are tagless, but recently my favorite T-shirts have been an organic cotton-hemp blend in black. I'm surprised I like them because the texture of them isn't entirely smooth. I bought 6-7 of them and had to cut the tags out of them. No big deal.
My parents cut the tags on my shirts sense I was little due to me having issues with the tags. The tShirts I wear nowadays have their label stuff printed on the inside of the shirt itself where the tag would be so they don't have tags. My underwear does the same thing nowadays. I don't get those shirts & underwear because their tagless(cutting tags is no big deal usually) but that is a nice bonus :D

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 9:56 pm

Double knotting is not nearly enough. I end up with like 3 or 4 extra knots to keep them off the ground. I have a way to shorten them and replacing the aglet, but haven't done it for my latest shoes. You can use properly sized shrink-tubing to replace the aglet. Shrink-tubing is used for wiring insulation and is readily available. When heated it will shrink and tighten.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 11:52 pm

I hate tags. Ughhh

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 12:37 am

Karamazov wrote:
Just hunted down a shirt I haven’t got round to removing the labels from yet: it has a very small amount of information on a very big label, but the label is full because it’s in seventeen different languages.
In this case I think the purpose is to be able to produce garments for multiple national markets from one unified production process: it would probably cost more to have smaller labels that were country specific.
Also, it probably means that unsold surplus stock in, say, France can be shipped to Poland, for example, and sold there instead with minimum hassle and cost for the business.

On most clothing tags I've ever seen there's been no foreign languages written on them.
All most clothing tags need is the store brand where they are from and washing instructions in symbols.
And no clothing tags should be made out of scratchy material. One time I had a t-shirt that had a gigantic orange tag in the back in the shape of the store brand title, and it would stick right out, so I cut it out. Who would want that dangling out the back of their clothes?
I think all clothing tags should be in the side, on neat and comfortable material, with only necessary information on, that or just having the necessary information printed on the inside so that there are no clothing tags at all.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 2:01 am

If tags are made out of really soft material they might end up surviving, otherwise they get immediately cut off. I hate the tags that they seem to have gone out of their way to make it out of the most itchy and scratchy material they could find.

What is more difficult to cope with is the seams of shirts, particularly around the collar, those bother me a lot not just cause of autism but also chronic hives. I have been wearing my shirts inside out to cope with that issue. Wish more companies made clothing with flat lock seams, seems only common on sports clothing. If I shop online there's really no way to tell how the seams are made or how soft the materials are.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 4:07 am

I only just learnt that there is a right way and a wrong (less secure) way to tie shoe laces. I've ruined tops cutting labels off using scissors and now unpick the stitches with a stitch ripper.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 4:14 am

^ watch out for the manufacturers who use one set of stitches for both the seam and the label.
I have several t-shirts with little inch long holes in the side :oops:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 4:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

On most clothing tags I've ever seen there's been no foreign languages written on them.
All most clothing tags need is the store brand where they are from and washing instructions in symbols.
And no clothing tags should be made out of scratchy material. One time I had a t-shirt that had a gigantic orange tag in the back in the shape of the store brand title, and it would stick right out, so I cut it out. Who would want that dangling out the back of their clothes?
I think all clothing tags should be in the side, on neat and comfortable material, with only necessary information on, that or just having the necessary information printed on the inside so that there are no clothing tags at all.

Ahh! I went straight to the side-tag because those are the ones I’ve always found most obnoxious.
(Well, along with the ones underwear manufacturers seem to think are a great idea to stick in the exact back centre :roll: )

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm

I cut the tags off my grandson's clothes when he visits, as well as wash and dry everything "properly" (not shrunk or tight). Some people have commented he may be autistic (smart, early talker, ignores kids, etc). If he is I am doing him a favour, but his parents think I'm just ruining the resale value of his stuff. :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 2:21 pm

I definitely have this though:

indumentisappendicemaphobia

Clothing tags phobia, where you are afraid of your's or someone else's clothing tags being seen. I've had this since I was about 5.
I remember one time when I was about 8 I was walking home from school with my mum and she was carrying my coat over her arm, and it had a large clothing tag that was sticking right out, and I couldn't stop looking at it and worrying because I could see it.

Weird phobia, I know.