Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2020, 9:34 am

Do you feel that the coronavirus panic is causing a great increase in people pushing mean beliefs on people on the Autism Spectrum? I can't get over the feeling that the excessive defeatist comments and thought patterns that neuraltypicals are giving in to are especially mean spirited and flat out wrong.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 9:36 am

Hokieman7 wrote:
Do you feel that the coronavirus panic is causing a great increase in people pushing mean beliefs on people on the Autism Spectrum? ...
No, but the current crisis may make some people more aware and defensive of the pejoratives directed at them (and at people like them, as well).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 9:43 am

It’s a repeat phenomena throughout human history called “scapegoating”: when a large enough group of humans lose a degree of material comfort, financial security, freedom, even relative status with everything else intact, they will turn on any clearly identifiable minority and declare them to be responsible in some way.
It’s never been true, or rational.

Hadn’t noticed an increase in hostility to folks with ASDs, but I’m a continent and an ocean away.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 12:01 pm

Can’t see anything targeting autistic people myself.

A lot of unfortunate racism and hatred against Chinese people though originating from the media and trump which is very wrong.

- George Bernie Shaw

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2020, 12:20 pm

I'm refering to the rather extreme views on coronavirus which aggravate my sensitivity to negative emotions.The emotions are intense and hurt very badly. I don't seem to have enough luck with any techniques to help myself with.Really any suggestions could be helpful and if you figured out the best thing for me to do I'd be very thankful.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 12:38 pm

No.

It has had a negative effect on autistics because coronavirus has taken away attention away from everything not coronavirus. Even here there seems to be less autism related posts then before the pandemic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 1:55 pm

Hokieman7 wrote:
I'm refering to the rather extreme views on coronavirus which aggravate my sensitivity to negative emotions.The emotions are intense and hurt very badly. I don't seem to have enough luck with any techniques to help myself with.Really any suggestions could be helpful and if you figured out the best thing for me to do I'd be very thankful.

I don't know if you usually work and thus not used to "being indoors", but I would recommend keeping busy by doing things you`ve maybe never done before like painting, artistic creativity, computer games, learning a language, pc flight simulator, online learning (not just career related), joining online discussions (not just autism related) just some examples I can think of.

Also try to keep up with the general news every now & then, maybe once a day to maintain awareness, but not enough for it to consume you.

Keeping fit and active through home exercises & keep taking meds if your on them.

- George Bernie Shaw

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 2:23 pm

Yeah: limiting news consumption is a very good piece of advice.

Although there were many other factors in it spending 4+ hours a day reading news or watching news related YouTube stuff definitely contributed to me losing the plot over 2007-10 (financial crash-credit crunch).

The sheer wall of negativity which comes off even the most respectable & responsible media outlets during major crises is definitely bad for the mental health of their readers/viewers.

In addition if you’re going to comment/opinion sections of news media, limit yourself to two or three writers who you can rely on to be either cool-headed or witty about events: avoid the panic-mongers and prophets of doom.

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2020, 2:30 pm

Thank you! I like your reply!

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Coolness 8)