Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 10:58 am

It occurred to me that what makes the Baby Boom unique (at least in the US) is that they were the first generation, as a group, to not feel obligated to do what was expected of them. Of course, there have always been rebellious youth, "bohemians", non-conformists etc. but the vast majority basically did what was expected of them.

Some examples. In the US, when the military began to draft young men to serve in the Vietnam War, a great many openly resisted either in word or deed. Preceding generations were appalled because when they had been called upon to serve in war, they did so because it was expected of them. Another thing is sex before marriage. In reality, a large percentage of the population did this, but it was still generally expected that women in particular remain virgins before marriage, and if not, then to at least keep up the pretense that they were. Baby Boom women were by and large quite open about their lack of determination to remain chaste (even those who themselves were still virgins) which shocked many members of earlier generations.

One often hears that the same things happen with each generation, it just seems new to them. But I think this represents a clear and unprecedented change of direction that has never been fully reversed by subsequent generations.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 6:42 pm

MaxE wrote:
Most important "accomplishment" of Baby Boomers...
We produced Generation X, for one thing.

You're welcome.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.