Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

redchidragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2020, 7:18 pm

Any of you all on the Keto? What's it like and is it doable?

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 7:46 pm

I've never been on a keto diet but several years ago I was sick and a symptom was smelly urine caused by ketosis. It was frigging disgusting!! ! Even after you flushed the smell would linger. :eew:

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2020, 1:29 am

About a year ago I had some problems with my liver and needed to go on a diet. My GP recommended what I later found out to be a kind of keto diet: no sugar, no white flour, no fruit (has too much sugar), no alcohol (I hardly drink alcohol anyway), no canned foods, no processed meat, lots of vegetables and salads, turkey instead and lots of fish. I am not a huge fish-lover and where I live we can only rarely get fresh fish. So that last think wasn't really an option for me.

I also found out soon that I just cannot do without carbs. However, I exchanged all the white flour things (mainly bread) with full-grain products and cut out pasta (which I had eaten a lot before).

I also don't like most vegetables and am allergic to some as well. I like green salads, so I ate a lot of those, I ate zucchinis, peppers and leek. I also found that couscous has lots of protein and ate a lot of that instead of rice or noodles. For snacks I ate walnuts, pecan nuts and almonds.

After two months my liver was healthy again and I had lost 8 kg. However, I decided to go on with the diet because I actually liked that kind of food and I wasn't really missing anything.

After about 8 monts I'd reached my ideal weight I decided to go on with that kind of diet on weekdays and am cooking "normal food" (including my beloved pasta) on weekends when I cook for me and my husband. On occasions I bake a cake and I find that's not a problem either as long as I go back to my diet on weekdays.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 1:43 am

I don't do strict keto but I have started eating a lot of keto type meals but trying to really limit dairy. It actually makes me feel really good.

Wreck It Ralph