Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 7:02 am

Men with satchels and backpacks are very common here, and it’s a relatively conservative area of England: mostly in subdued earthy colours though.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 7:58 am

A satchel bag is actually a part of my general attire. I think it is probably healthier on my gut to switch to put my phone and wallet in the bag instead of having the pressure of my belt digging into to keep my pants up from the extra weight. Plus, with the doing away of plastic bags in a lot of stores it is good to have the bag ready to carry things, as well as I keep a couple of extra reusable bags inside of it. I hardly think that it is common in my part of the world though, can be pretty difficult to find even some okay bags. Also, stops my embarrassment over sneaking snacks into the movies

But I am also not too concerned with keeping just a masculine image. I like to think of it as like my bag of holding, because I am a geek.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 9:44 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
But guy with bag was equivalent to trans to this jerk.

I'm sorry that happened. :(

I've never understood why men aren't "supposed to" carry a handbag. Don't they also have wallets and keys and sunglasses and devices and chargers .... or other assorted miscellanea? I don't carry cosmetics but I still need to have a small handbag so I'm not cluttered.

Seems to be an American thing (if you ever watched Seinfeld, there's the episode with "it's not a purse, it's European") - here guys carry backpacks, messenger bags or "saddle" bags, and everybody has one of these (usually carried on the shoulder, like a handbag):

Granted, it's the kind of place where I could go out sporting a flamboyant pink purse and nobody would bat an eye :lol:

Mine is over the shoulder and I have seen guys wearing them on occasion for a long time now, basically since laptops arrived. You can purchase them cheaply on Amazon.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:28 am

Yes I've seen lots of men's satchels (generally wide open at the top, or with one small flap closure) and backpacks (bearing weight on men's backs and looking like they're travellers). I just wish it was common to see men with the types of bags women carry. I wish there were more styles for men's cross-body bags with zippers and different compartments for sunglasses, phone, etc. that don't look like camera bags. Men's bags always seem to have that look of "Oh don't worry this bag is actually for my camera / lunch / laptop / trip to the market, and I don't have any other reason to carry it".

Just my daily quip. :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:38 am

I wish woman’s trousers had more pocket space for wallets, keys, etc.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish woman’s trousers had more pocket space for wallets, keys, etc.

My wife has a few pairs of cargo trousers, but she doesn't like to weight down the pockets a lot.

I dislike bulging/heavy pockets too and don't like carrying more than a slim card wallet in my pocket either and it's not the safest way to keep it either :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:54 am

There are trousers with pretty deep pockets...and even some with special places for cell phones.

I feel safest when an item is safely in my front pocket. NOT back pockets. Even more than in my knapsack.

I don’t like shoulder bags or messenger bags at all

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 02 May 2020, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 10:56 am

^
I'm partial to inner jacket pockets for my wallet and phone :)

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:03 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
I'm partial to inner jacket pockets for my wallet and phone :)

Poachers pockets are the business :D
(That’s what my grandmother calls them)

Mrs K tells me off for having bulky pockets full of all sorts of stuff, but then fills them up herself with her things! :lol:
(She doesn’t do “girly bags” :P )

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:16 am

My wife rarely carries anything else with her beside keys and wallet, but has a couple of those over-sized bags where you could hide a small child :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:19 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
My wife rarely carries anything else with her beside keys and wallet, but has a couple of those over-sized bags where you could hide a small child :lol:

Me: Keys, phone, sunglasses, the banking card I will need (seldom my whole wallet unless I'm driving), and lip balm.

The kidnapping bags are cute but I've always wondered what all goes in them? ^

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:40 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Me: Keys, phone, sunglasses, the banking card I will need (seldom my whole wallet unless I'm driving), and lip balm.

The kidnapping bags are cute but I've always wondered what all goes in them? ^

Yeah, I forgot about sunglasses.

When going to work she often carries her laptop and a bunch of files and such and she can usually fit her evening grocery shopping in there too.

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2020, 11:54 am

Bradleigh wrote:
A satchel bag is actually a part of my general attire. I think it is probably healthier on my gut to switch to put my phone and wallet in the bag instead of having the pressure of my belt digging into to keep my pants up from the extra weight. Plus, with the doing away of plastic bags in a lot of stores it is good to have the bag ready to carry things, as well as I keep a couple of extra reusable bags inside of it. I hardly think that it is common in my part of the world though, can be pretty difficult to find even some okay bags. Also, stops my embarrassment over sneaking snacks into the movies

But I am also not too concerned with keeping just a masculine image. I like to think of it as like my bag of holding, because I am a geek.

I remember in high school having to carry a giant Windows laptop to and from school. I'd carry it in my back and after awhile of doing this, I realized that arms would get all prickly-feeling because of the straps digging into my shoulders; so I carried my backpack like a bag for the rest of me high school years. You must not have that many problems with shoplifters in your area, because here in my area, prior to the Coronavirus hitting, a lot of stores here have banned people carrying backpacks and bags because of all the shoplifting.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 12:52 pm

One Word: Trump;
All That Is: STiLL
Toxic About 'Man';
Please Note: Verily
Not Just Limited to Men or 'He';
In Other Words An 'Old Testament
God'
Before: 'Love'

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 6:07 pm

It's a collective term for all the toxic, self-defeating and maladaptive behaviours and traits that people (primarily but not exclusively those who identify as men) are sometimes prone to, more specifically when those behaviours are motivated by needing or wanting to demonstrate masculinity.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2020, 3:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's a collective term for all the toxic, self-defeating and maladaptive behaviours and traits that people (primarily but not exclusively those who identify as men) are sometimes prone to, more specifically when those behaviours are motivated by needing or wanting to demonstrate masculinity.

This.

And before anyone asks, yes, there is such a thing as "toxic femininity."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)