Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 7:12 am

Do people on the spectrum have a stronger sense of right and wrong , or merely an atypical one?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 7:33 am

That's what I've read, yes. I think it's a result of a bit of black and white thinking and wanting clear answers on things. On the down side, if an aspie were to be raised in an enviroment where certain things that are usually considered wrong are acceptable, then he or she might have way harder time to adjusting to different society later on than someone else from that same enviroment.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 8:04 am

Recently I've joined several high IQ societies based on verbal scores . I tried one of the society's tests. I did the test two times as you're allowed to do. The 2nd time I reckoned I got at least 4 more right . The result? 2 more right . The first part involves = Order(keep letters in order after removal)For example,Cold: Remove 1 letter for a type of fish: _ _ _ (Cod) where a certain amount of letters has to be removed. That part was the easier part.

The second part(the harder part) involves removing a stated number of letters and then rearranging at least one of the remaining letters to get the answer . Well I methodically did that(it's an untimed test) and am certain of having got at least 4 more answers right i.e removing certain letters to the amount specified produced an answer that fitted with the question asked.

If I'm honest it's completely rankled me to the point I've asked to be removed from the society .

itz_personal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2020, 5:45 pm

I read it was more to do with Aspies having a preference for 'rules' and sticking to them fairly rigidly.

Last week, I logged into my account with a local government body. At the end of what I was doing, an annoying 'short survey' popped up asking me whether I was more likely or less likely to be dishonest in the current climate. I was surprised to say the least: I hadn't ever seen an honesty-type survey before. I felt you were asking for trouble if you answered 'more likely' :) when you've first logged into an account which held your name, address, etc.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 5:51 pm

I do better with rules /structure , but I'm a double gold medal winner at the disorganised Olympics .

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 12:11 am

firemonkey wrote:
Do people on the spectrum have a stronger sense of right and wrong , or merely an atypical one?

I'd vote for stronger, because it takes NT skills to cheat.

Can anyone tell me why I don't get notifications of replies any longer?

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 1:41 am

I definitely have a black and white sense of right and wrong - but I don't always apply it, or expect it in those around me. I don't judge people in the typical way. It's more like "I wouldn't do that myself" than thinking "shame on you".

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 12:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I get more angry about cheating, bullying, and exploitation than most people do. I still have trouble understanding how people can tolerate leaders when they do very nicely for themselves while making decisions that kill, harm and mess up the lives of so many others. I don't see why they tolerate marketing ploys and other shameless propaganda. To me it's blindingly obvious that we're being treated like idiots, but there's no sign of anything being done to stop it. Are people stupid, blind, powerless, or do they just not mind? Just thinking about it sends me into a rant. So yes, I do seem to have a stronger sense of right and wrong than most people. I don't think it's just a different code of conduct. Although I tend to decide what's right and wrong for myself rather than accepting received wisdom from others without question, when you look at my values they're pretty commonly held notions - fair play, equality, sincerity, and co-operativity, that sort of thing. Just that they don't seem to be respected much in the real world. Of course perfectionism, pathological honesty and a liking for order comes into it, but although it's hard to objectively measure this, I get the strong impression that ethics are ignored more often than they're respected.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 1:13 pm

I had a real problem with this growing up and as a young adult. It made me too inflexible in my dealings with others. I'm a lot older now--early 60s, and still have the problem, but have learned to overlook the looseness about the sense of right and wrong in others, on minor issues. I don't feel you can or should accept true wrongness on major stuff, because that can result in harm to others, and in a breakdown in the overall morality of society. This will only lead to even worse harm to others, so I still won't compromise on the big stuff.

Part of what helped me to accept some variation of minor right and wrong stuff in others was when I was finally able to accept that we are all different, and that nobody's perfect, and nobody can really attain perfection, but that this doesn't mean you need to have a fit about it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 1:35 pm

Dear_one wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I'd vote for stronger, because it takes NT skills to cheat.
Have to agree with dearone on this topic......and

Can anyone tell me why I don't get notifications of replies any longer?

Me too .. what is going on please.

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 1:48 pm

So am older now and still have this right and wrong thing , and still do NOT understand other variables . And feel so strongly about this i feel that , ( the allowing for slight variables of perception) Staunchly support this basic concept .Which has been my undoing i feel .... So I feel good about distancing from people with out principals ,, But still allow for others misgivings is prolly my best course of action . But finding Solace in my thoughts can be hard , given the climate of our current society .
Dearly wish was more consolable on this issue , 8O :?

where ever you go ,there you are

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 2:17 pm

I definitely have a very strong sense of right and wrong. I considered becoming a policewoman for this reason. Some of my closest friends were in the Australian police force. When someone I had huge respect for and who meant alot to me, chose to do something so “wrong” and hurtful to others, something I couldn’t ever imagine doing, from that moment, it destroyed our friendship and knowing they could do such a thing, proved to me that they ultimately weren’t trustworthy. I don’t judge other people for their wrongdoings generally, as we all make mistakes, we’re all human, but when you see the impact that people’s behaviour can have on others, it can cement your own values. To hurt others purposefully, seems incomprehensible to me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 3:17 pm

I believe we do have a stronger sense of right and wrong and of sticking to the rules. I think we are also much more angry at hypocrisy.

Wreck It Ralph