Former Republican Presidents/Candidates don't like Trump

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2020, 7:14 pm

It is not Trump they are afraid of it his voters. 90 percent of Republican voters support him and most of them are very very loyal to him. Trump once famously said that if he shot someone on 5th Avenue his voters would still support him.

Republican congressmen know if they go against him a Trump supporting candidate would run against them in the primaries and beat them. So the only Republicans that can say anything against are non office holders with nothing to lose.

These other people may call themselves Republicans but it is not their party anymore. All they can do is criticize from outside the corridors of power.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2020, 7:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is not Trump they are afraid of it his voters. 90 percent of Republican voters support him and most of them are very very loyal to him. Trump once famously said that if he shot someone on 5th Avenue his voters would still support him.

Republican congressmen know if they go against him a Trump supporting candidate would run against them in the primaries and beat them. So the only Republicans that can say anything against are non office holders with nothing to lose.

These other people may call themselves Republicans but it is not their party anymore. All they can do is criticize from outside the corridors of power.

Once again, I would like to see the connection between this, and being ex-president or ex-hopeful. Is it because people that are not ex-anything are still wanting to keep the doors open for future (so they don't want to piss off Trump voters) but people that are ex-something don't really care about the future since they have the past to get the sense of fulfillment? I guess this would be true for ex-president (Bush). But what about ex-hopefuls (mcCain and Romney)? Are you saying they have a sense of fulfillment that they won their respective primaries (even though they lost an election) and "thats why" they don't really care about their future prospects? Or is it somewhat of an opposite: losing an election made them kinda give up?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 4:36 am

QFT wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Once again, I would like to see the connection between this, and being ex-president or ex-hopeful. Is it because people that are not ex-anything are still wanting to keep the doors open for future (so they don't want to piss off Trump voters) but people that are ex-something don't really care about the future since they have the past to get the sense of fulfillment? I guess this would be true for ex-president (Bush). But what about ex-hopefuls (mcCain and Romney)? Are you saying they have a sense of fulfillment that they won their respective primaries (even though they lost an election) and "thats why" they don't really care about their future prospects? Or is it somewhat of an opposite: losing an election made them kinda give up?

Some people will risk a tremendous amount for principle.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 4:59 pm

QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
There are anti-Trump Republicans who are not former Presidents or nominees. For example, Joe Walsh, Bill Weld, Gary Johnson, Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, Jeff Flake, Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, John Huntsmann, Justin Amash, Michael Bloomberg, and Jeb Bush.

I thought Gary Johnson is Libertarian, which would preclude him from being Republican since you can't be in two parties at the same time. Or can you?

As far as Bill Weld and Jeb Bush, they both tried to compete in Republican primary against Trump so it makes sense why "they" don't like him. That is quite a bit different from McCain and Romney, since Trump didn't participate in the elections when they were running.

Johnson was in office as NM governor from 1995-2003. He switched parties in 2011.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!