Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2020, 5:17 pm

I'm sorry you're struggling with this - I went through something similar but because of different reasons (the first time I was able to get counseling through my college the counselor 'diagnosed' me after having a few sessions and I asked for a more formal evaluation; still, it was never official). I felt kind of like I wanted to be in autistic spaces (like this forum) but was worried I was an imposter. I personally sought out a professional diagnosis but I don't think everyone should feel that way. Since you've been diagnosed I don't think you should over-analyze whether you are actually autistic/have Asperger's, but I know that's easier said than done. For example, I have a great adeptness for sarcasm (although I can sometimes be literal when other people use it) and I enjoy humor which a lot of people might say autistic people don't 'get' comedy. I don't have a scientific brain (at least it never has shown up for me) and I studied English literature and writing in college despite hearing that autistic people are more STEM-oriented. I just wanted to give those personal examples because I hope it can help you realize that autism is quite different for everyone. Another example - I've never dated (despite wanting to) and I thought maybe that's a common problem for autistic women/men but I've found that a lot of people with autism have a variety of dating experiences; i.e., we are not all the same, even socially!
Finally, as CarlM wrote, it's common for women/girls with autism to learn to mask traits at a young age because a lot of social behaviors associated with autism aren't 'acceptable' for girls and therefore we learn to adapt to what is expected of us. I behaved poorly in school until I was about 9-10 (3rd, 4th grade) and all of the sudden I had adjusted my behavior so that by the time I was in high school I had a reputation for being a so called 'goody-two-shoes.'

Regardless of personal experience, you shouldn't hold yourself to some standard of being 'autistic enough.' I hope you find some peace on this issue, but you have my support :heart:

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 5:23 pm

Asperger syndrome doesn't requires you having additional autistic comorbids. You are mentally different enough for having trouble with bodylanguage, behaviour and emotional connections. I don't have noticeable autistic comorbids as well. :wink:

Last edited by quite an extreme on 05 Jun 2020, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 5:27 pm

Although I got the Asperger's dx over a year ago I go through phases of doubt as to whether I really am or not. I'll admit a lot of it stems from comparing myself to other members here .

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jun 2020, 5:37 pm

Just want to reinforce what everyone else is saying really.

If you don’t have every symptom that other people are reporting then that does not mean you are not autistic.

If you don’t think you have achieved as much as other people then that does not mean you are a failure.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

I relate well to the definition of Asperger's (Aspie) but not the definition of Autism. It is a shame that they merged the two definitions together. I have learned to cope with most problems that the condition produces. I use my great strengths to overcome my great weaknesses.

In general, I have minimal sensory issues. But I am affected by florescent lighting. It cause me severe ocular migraines.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 6:02 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I relate well to the definition of Asperger's (Aspie) but not the definition of Autism. It is a shame that they merged the two definitions together.

I too feel frustrated about taking the Asperger's label away and lumping it in with autism. It's like so many people have argued about everyone with autism being SO massively diverse from one another that it's annoyingly near impossible to have an Asperger's label existing.
I rather not be lumped with autism myself. If autism was called something else, like Communication and Sensory Disorder or something like that, then maybe I wouldn't mind. But autism sounds so much more serious than what it is, like if my mum said to someone that her daughter has autism the first thing they'll probably think of is a non-verbal girl that needs 24-hour care, when in actual fact I am living in an apartment with my NT boyfriend, working at a job that I like, able to look after myself and live an independent life, and can easily hold conversations with other people and I have friends and colleagues that I get along with.
Also the definition of autism means "self", and that doesn't describe me at all. It's as if according to our label we're all supposed to be selfish, unable to relate to or bond with anybody, and don't give a crap about anyone. None of those fit me in offline life (maybe I come across as self-obsessed on WP but believe me I am NOT as self-obsessed in real life at all).

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 6:40 pm

I relate to both 'extremes' of both spectrum labels and yet cannot relate to both presentations either.
Nonetheless, I'm still formally qualify. :shrug:

I cannot relate because I don't react the same way with the same circumstances.
Nor do relate because I don't have the same circumstances to start with.

In my opinion, even to a point of observation of autism -- traits, preferences and behaviours themselves could be outright meaningless. Those factors are but indicators at best, the same logic as to a disruptive child is more likely be diagnosed and labelled based on those factors than someone who isn't, despite having the same case or being more severe.

There's just something that whatever autism truly is, is that none of these factors could ever hope to reach it.
I've found mine, I've reached mine and graduated from levels of label works within my own inner works.

Whatever may be the reason who were diagnosed in the first place isn't simply about identifying with the label in it -- but to see said label as a form of reference, a first step for support and self-knowledge.

Identification, in my opinion, is completely optional and something that can be considered to keep or not to keep.
Just like one choses whether they are autistic or an aspie, or someone with autism or aspergers.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 8:01 pm

I concur with the extremes theory. I am the hypersensitive and expressive ASD type, but my ASD-like BFF is the hyposensitive and non expressive ASD type. I am a sensation seeker and out in the world and have meltdowns. She is a sensation avoider and tightly controls her environment and has no (visible) meltdowns. I am positive that she has them on the inside. I can see her body tense up, I've seen her pick at her skin or some other tick - but she'll say she doesn't feel anything and that she's not. All types.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 12:16 am

Personally, I'm not quite sure how to describe the Autism Spectrum. I've long felt that AS/HFA can be described as a not disabled - yet not able enough dichotomy - that is that "never-never land of sorts!"

Kitenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 1:06 am

QFT wrote:
Kitenna wrote:
It's mainly when I find out about coping mechanisms/stims used by other autistics, and then start using them myself that I feel less autistic, because I wasn't using it before I found out so it feels like I'm faking.

Don't do that, that is a horrible idea! Why would you want to purposely make yourself more autistic?! Its really self defeating. You are LUCKY that you don't do them, so continue not to!! !

Lets put it this way. They use the word "spectrum" for a reason. Most autistic people don't have all the symptoms, only some. And then again normal people have some symptoms too, just less. So the line between autistic and normal is arbitrary. A couple of decades ago it would have been drawn differently. So forcing yourself to be more autistic simply because you fell on that side of the line is a stupid idea.

Some autistics can't speak. So are you going to purposely learn not to speak?!

I'm not "making myself more autistic." Autism involves masking from a young age so by unmasking I find coping mechanisms that help me in different situations. This happens naturally anyway. You start acting "more autistic" after a diagnosis because you're unlocking natural behaviours.

No I don't want to go nonverbal. But since my diagnosis I find I am stimming more which is good as it helps me to calm down and focus and releases negative energy. Yesterday stimming and engaging in special interests helped to relieve some of my frustration. Sometimes I try out stims that other autistics use (e.g. echolalia), and I find it helps.

Unmasking is good. But it sometimes makes me feel like I'm faking, that's the problem. I guess I'm just too hard on myself.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 1:52 am

Kitenna wrote:
QFT wrote:
Kitenna wrote:
It's mainly when I find out about coping mechanisms/stims used by other autistics, and then start using them myself that I feel less autistic, because I wasn't using it before I found out so it feels like I'm faking.

Don't do that, that is a horrible idea! Why would you want to purposely make yourself more autistic?! Its really self defeating. You are LUCKY that you don't do them, so continue not to!! !

Lets put it this way. They use the word "spectrum" for a reason. Most autistic people don't have all the symptoms, only some. And then again normal people have some symptoms too, just less. So the line between autistic and normal is arbitrary. A couple of decades ago it would have been drawn differently. So forcing yourself to be more autistic simply because you fell on that side of the line is a stupid idea.

I'm not "making myself more autistic." Autism involves masking from a young age so by unmasking I find coping mechanisms that help me in different situations. This happens naturally anyway. You start acting "more autistic" after a diagnosis because you're unlocking natural behaviours.

No I don't want to go nonverbal. But since my diagnosis I find I am stimming more which is good as it helps me to calm down and focus and releases negative energy. Yesterday stimming and engaging in special interests helped to relieve some of my frustration. Sometimes I try out stims that other autistics use (e.g. echolalia), and I find it helps.

Unmasking is good. But it sometimes makes me feel like I'm faking, that's the problem. I guess I'm just too hard on myself.

Masking = putting an effort into being something you are not
Unmasking = doing what you would be naturally doing if you didn't put that effort

But you are not doing what you would have been natrually doing. You wouldn't have been stimming if you didn't read that autistics stim. So its not unmasking.

In fact you even admit this yourself. You said that when you try to stim it doesn't seem to work and thats why you question your diagnosis. Well, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to stim on the first place.

Trying to learn to do autistic traits (such as stimming) is just as bad as trying to learn to be NT (masking). I think you shouldn't do either.

Kitenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 2:27 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't stim really when I'm having a panic attack or meltdown, no matter how bad it is. The only 'stimming' I do is throw myself on to the bed or couch and cry, and pick up my phone to rant on WP or phone a close family member and pour my heart out. I don't rock or flap my hands.

So whenever you see another thread of me ranting about something, it's usually because I'm having a meltdown over something and it is my way of dealing with it. Letting humans know how I'm feeling really helps a lot.

I guess everyone has different traits. I find I stim more in this pandemic (and historical revolution) and I also find stimming calming.

Kitenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 2:36 am

greenmm37 wrote:
I'm sorry you're struggling with this - I went through something similar but because of different reasons (the first time I was able to get counseling through my college the counselor 'diagnosed' me after having a few sessions and I asked for a more formal evaluation; still, it was never official). I felt kind of like I wanted to be in autistic spaces (like this forum) but was worried I was an imposter. I personally sought out a professional diagnosis but I don't think everyone should feel that way. Since you've been diagnosed I don't think you should over-analyze whether you are actually autistic/have Asperger's, but I know that's easier said than done. For example, I have a great adeptness for sarcasm (although I can sometimes be literal when other people use it) and I enjoy humor which a lot of people might say autistic people don't 'get' comedy. I don't have a scientific brain (at least it never has shown up for me) and I studied English literature and writing in college despite hearing that autistic people are more STEM-oriented. I just wanted to give those personal examples because I hope it can help you realize that autism is quite different for everyone. Another example - I've never dated (despite wanting to) and I thought maybe that's a common problem for autistic women/men but I've found that a lot of people with autism have a variety of dating experiences; i.e., we are not all the same, even socially!
Finally, as CarlM wrote, it's common for women/girls with autism to learn to mask traits at a young age because a lot of social behaviors associated with autism aren't 'acceptable' for girls and therefore we learn to adapt to what is expected of us. I behaved poorly in school until I was about 9-10 (3rd, 4th grade) and all of the sudden I had adjusted my behavior so that by the time I was in high school I had a reputation for being a so called 'goody-two-shoes.'

Regardless of personal experience, you shouldn't hold yourself to some standard of being 'autistic enough.' I hope you find some peace on this issue, but you have my support :heart:

Thank you so much for this. I think I am being way too harsh on myself and I need to just slowly accept that I may be autistic.

I feel a much stronger sense of intimacy with autistics than I do with neurotypicals, sometimes no matter how close the neurotypical is to me.

Kitenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 2:38 am

firemonkey wrote:
Although I got the Asperger's dx over a year ago I go through phases of doubt as to whether I really am or not. I'll admit a lot of it stems from comparing myself to other members here .

I compare myself to many other autistic people as well.

Kitenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 3:43 am

QFT wrote:
Kitenna wrote:
QFT wrote:
Kitenna wrote:

Masking = putting an effort into being something you are not
Unmasking = doing what you would be naturally doing if you didn't put that effort

But you are not doing what you would have been natrually doing. You wouldn't have been stimming if you didn't read that autistics stim. So its not unmasking.

In fact you even admit this yourself. You said that when you try to stim it doesn't seem to work and thats why you question your diagnosis. Well, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to stim on the first place.

Trying to learn to do autistic traits (such as stimming) is just as bad as trying to learn to be NT (masking). I think you shouldn't do either.

You clearly are misunderstood and have a huge stigma about autism. I hope that in time you can educate yourself and come to accept autism.

Have a nice rest of the day.

Kitenna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2020, 3:48 am

SharonB wrote:
I concur with the extremes theory. I am the hypersensitive and expressive ASD type, but my ASD-like BFF is the hyposensitive and non expressive ASD type. I am a sensation seeker and out in the world and have meltdowns. She is a sensation avoider and tightly controls her environment and has no (visible) meltdowns. I am positive that she has them on the inside. I can see her body tense up, I've seen her pick at her skin or some other tick - but she'll say she doesn't feel anything and that she's not. All types.

I think what your BFF is experiencing is known as a shutdown. It's basically taking all of the frustration and emotions you feel during a meltdown and internalising. It's almost like a dissociative/catatonic state