Page 16 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
What coffin? All those “anti woke” laws recently passed are still on the books. I just have a bit of trouble believing because Ms. Mandel get owned big time every anti woke or person not quite fully woke are saying “OMG I was wrong, Kendi and DeAngelo are right, I am so sorry, where is best place to give reparations?”

The laws are not based on "intellectual input" they are 100% political
The whole premise of banning CRT is false (you know that) as CRT is not taught from K1 -K12 education in the US

It's like passing a law to ban calculus from being taught in kindergarten :roll:

I created a thread where "rogue" teachers of young children DID indoctrinate a twisted form of CRT.
If I have the "spoons", I may dig it up.

"Woke gone Rogue"...
That might make a good youtube clip title. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:52 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I love belko61 wrote:
... Apathy has created this mess - it's time to make a choice and stand by it. What kind of a person are you?
The kind of person who used to get involved in causes only to get exploited and burned by those in charge.

Never again.  Got a cause?  Good luck with it.  Let me know how it turns out.

Agreed. The very few times I tried to even get someone to change their mind, I’d get my fat f!cking arse handed to me.

Nowadays, I’d rather stay behind the locked doors of my apartment and watch cartoons, waiting to drop dead!

Sounds like a plan. 8)

I am not interested in changing someone's mind.
Never really have been.
You can't reason with a closed mind, so why waste the "spoons".
<shrug>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
What coffin? All those “anti woke” laws recently passed are still on the books. I just have a bit of trouble believing because Ms. Mandel get owned big time every anti woke or person not quite fully woke are saying “OMG I was wrong, Kendi and DeAngelo are right, I am so sorry, where is best place to give reparations?”

The laws are not based on "intellectual input" they are 100% political
The whole premise of banning CRT is false (you know that) as CRT is not taught from K1 -K12 education in the US

It's like passing a law to ban calculus from being taught in kindergarten :roll:

Right Wing academics such as Christopher Rufo are influential in the anti woke backlash. You can be political and intellectual at the same time. That is what think tanks are about.

Think tanks funded by right wing conservatives are not intellectual. Take Praeger University for example.

And, of course, this...erm...
Well, you know...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:57 pm

Pepe wrote:
I created a thread where "rogue" teachers of young children DID indoctrinate a twisted form of CRT.

Individual teachers might go overboard on over-emphasising particular historic events (I think its called catastrophising) which might be overenthusiasm but it's not CRT.
Primary and Secondary school teachers are not trained in CRT. just like a kinder teacher is not trained in calculus.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:58 pm

FlaminPika wrote:
And The Daily Wire, and Rebel Media, and Fox News, and the vast majority of reactionary Youtube channels that I've been seeing. It's all very anti-intellectual in nature. I don't know how much better the left wing side of things is either though. Unbiased news seems very hard to find. But most of these sources don't even pretend to be unbiased.

I watch Sky News, where you can find intelligent, professional critical thinkers with integrity.
cyberdad and I both consider Andrew Bolt to be such a person.
(cyberdad hates him, hence the joke. :mrgreen: )

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
FlaminPika wrote:
And The Daily Wire, and Rebel Media, and Fox News, and the vast majority of reactionary Youtube channels that I've been seeing. It's all very anti-intellectual in nature. I don't know how much better the left wing side of things is either though. Unbiased news seems very hard to find. But most of these sources don't even pretend to be unbiased.

I watch Sky News, where you can find intelligent, professional critical thinkers with integrity.

Andrew Bolt (unlike Rowan Dean) is intellectual.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
What exactly is a left wing biased media source?
The Guardian?
Vice media?

The BIG one, over here in Australia, is the ABC.
I am sure you would agree...NOT, as Borat would say.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
FlaminPika wrote:

Andrew Bolt (unlike Rowan Dean) is intellectual.

I like them both, but I do find Rowan more humorous, creative, and satirical.
"The Outsiders" is the number one watched political show on Sky News, I believe.
I find it extremely entertaining since I DO like satire/absurdity.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I agree.
She is NOT a good example and shouldn't be used as a representative of ppl who have a problem with "woke" culture.

She is actually quite articulate, very intelligent and (beyond wokeness) otherwise intellectual. I am not sure why you are trying to cancel her?

I based my opinion on the video YOU presented.
It was cringe-worthy.
Before that time, I never heard of her.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 10:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I agree.
She is NOT a good example and shouldn't be used as a representative of ppl who have a problem with "woke" culture.

She is actually quite articulate, very intelligent and (beyond wokeness) otherwise intellectual. I am not sure why you are trying to cancel her?

It was cringe-worthy.

Oh ok, The point of the video was to demonstrate that intellectuals (Like Charles Murray for example) can support unsubstantiated ideas because of personal bias. Mandel has specific conservative values which she has tried to use wokeism as a crutch to support, but from her bungling on the podcast she actually doesn't understand (or at least spent much time on) the concept.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 10:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I agree.

It was cringe-worthy.

Oh ok, The point of the video was to demonstrate that intellectuals (Like Charles Murray for example) can support unsubstantiated ideas because of personal bias. Mandel has specific conservative values which she has tried to use wokeism as a crutch to support, but from her bungling on the podcast she actually doesn't understand (or at least spent much time on) the concept.

OK, Dr Jekyll. I will take your word on it.
I don't know much about this topic, so I will defer to your greater knowledge. 8)

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2023, 9:54 pm

I'm tired of the abliesm, racism and misogyny in the workplace, academia, and pop culture. I have been verbally abused, sexually harassed and told to my face that I did not know anything about jobs and scientific fields I was overqualified for. Down with the good old days; oppressed people of the world have nothing to lose bu our chains, all power to the Woke Generation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 12:14 am

RandoNLD wrote:
I'm tired of the abliesm, racism and misogyny in the workplace, academia, and pop culture. I have been verbally abused, sexually harassed and told to my face that I did not know anything about jobs and scientific fields I was overqualified for. Down with the good old days; oppressed people of the world have nothing to lose bu our chains, all power to the Woke Generation.

Not EVERYTHING/K "woke" is good. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 2:47 am

RandoNLD wrote:
and told to my face that I did not know anything about jobs and scientific fields I was overqualified for. Down with the good old days; o.

Willing to share?

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2023, 2:56 pm

Yeah, been called "boy" on the job a few times, was sexually harassed in front of everyone by the D.O.O's mom; who was only supposed to be the lab's GMP consultant and knew the assessor personally, but was given a no work position without a title (why settle for 1 conflict of interest when you can get a three fer?). Was effectively fired from an understaffed lab mere weeks after the Head of R&D thanked me for hitting the ground running so quickly because I told a condescending, less skilled coworker not to call me "sweetie", pretty sure I'd have been axed on the spot if roles had been reversed. Most recently, a new chemist told the entire lab I didn't know anything about what the company does, in person and on a conference Zoom. This, and potentially fatal accidents caused by coworkers who are out 30% of time, get no questions asked PTO, cry themselves into raises and still get promotions etc. At some point I realized my working conditions are no better than those my grandfathers endured in the mid twentieth century, only they had union representation, defined benefit plans and some semblance of progressive mass movements that made headway until the mid '70s.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 3:29 pm

I am glad people are starting to wake up and realize that this woke nonsense is just plain evil. I also found out that libraries are pulling Agatha Christie's classics.