Does the heterogeneity of autism undermine the neurodiversit

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 2:43 am

Quote:
Abstract

The neurodiversity paradigm is presented by its proponents as providing a philosophical foundation for the activism of the neurodiversity movement. Its central claims are that autism and other neurodivergent conditions are not disorders because they are not intrinsically harmful, and that they are valuable, natural and/or normal parts of human neurocognitive variation. This paper: (a) identifies the non‐disorder claim as the most central of these, based on its prominence in the literature and connections with the practical policy claims that the paradigm is supposed to support; (b) describes the heterogeneity of autism at the behavioural and causal levels, and argues that at the behavioural level this encompasses ways of being autistic that are harmful in ways that cannot be not wholly attributed to discrimination or unjust social arrangements, challenging the claim that autism is not a disorder; (c) considers and rejects responses to this challenge based on separation of high‐ and low‐functioning autism, separation of autism from co‐occurring conditions, and viewing autism as part of an individual’s identity. Two of these responses fail for reasons that are themselves connected with the behavioural and/or causal heterogeneity of autism.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... tY.twitter

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 3:24 am

This thread prob belongs in the political section but never mind.

The central pillar of neurodiversity of autism being “harmless” is a bad joke.

One only has to read the comments on this site to see the trail of destruction to and misery autism gives many but not all.

It’s just Pseudoscience, which is why apart from “accommodations” neurodiversity will never be fully accepted by those in power.

Mainly given the societial burdens and financial cost mental disabilities cause. You don’t need a degree in economics and sociology to see this.

If someone can’t look after themselves someone or some people have to step in to help them and this costs time and money that may not be so available.

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 4:36 am

If, as suggested, this belongs in the political section then please could it be moved to there.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 4:38 am

Please do move.

On topic:

The answer is no.
Neurodiversity exists for it's own purpose, with or without the label autism and no matter in what way it is defined.

It won't even matter whether or not neurodiversity is founded by so-called high functioning autistics.
It won't matter how heterogeneous autism is. It might be the whole point of neurodiversity at all.

Just who the heck puts too many eggs in one basket label?
Or worse, define the label with limited models and definitions?

Which left some of my questions; questions about Neurodiversity outside autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 4:48 am

Autism as a Spectrum is a concept diametrically opposed to the premise of the paper.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 5:05 am

I never understand what these articles are talking about. Too many big words that I've never heard of.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 6:36 am

The concept of Neurodiversity in the pure meaning will exist in the short to medium term.

Flat earthers still exist, there’s a Netflix documentary on them if anyone is interested.

The question was can it move on from its current position of being a fringe movement into something accepted in full by government and society.

By that I mean accepting autism as a natural difference which shouldn’t be touched.

The answer is no because like it or not sometimes autism is a burden to many of those effected, to NTs and government in terms of human time, energy and financial.

Common sense says science & gov isn’t going to say that a grown man who is incapable of looking after himself, living independently and working and paying taxes is “normal”.

The sooner advocates evolve accept and understand that the better they can concentrate on helping autistic people in a more realistic way than wasting time on dead end causes.

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 7:36 am

I think there needs to be a distinction between those who will at least function adequately if barriers are removed , vs those who no matter what barriers are removed will still struggle to reach an adequate level of functioning .

Of course that would require a definition of 'adequate functioning' . Should it be based on how the average person of the same age and intelligence is functioning ?

Speaking personally I don't think I 'd be doing as well as age and intelligence matched non ASD people would be doing, even if those barriers were removed .

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 10:18 am

It’s coincidental that someone has started a thread about the “Sally Ann test” and theory of mind.

It’s suddenly occurred to me that the more extreme ND enthusiasts that deny severe autism and cannot understand the basic logic of why autism is categorized as a disorder and not a natural difference is lack of theory of mind.

So basically it’s a product of the disorder itself.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 11:42 am

Or, with your own conclusions, a product of bitterness that neurodiversity fails you.

But worry not, some people here can sympathize -- with their loneliness, their desire to conform, their anxieties because uncontrollable behaviors and be, oh, I dunno, 'fitting in'.

If you talk about society and government, you have to look at how dysfunctional NTs are and can be first before trying to redirecting advocates.

Truth? NTs are practically the biggest victims. And they had been for centuries. :lol:

As of now? They're too busy panicking in pandemics and moral provocations.
Let alone push for whatever direction of 'progress' you speak of.

And in which from my point of view specifically:
Governments and taxes. :lol: LOL. OMGLOL.
I'm sorry -- but this argument just NOT apply in my country. But that's just me, eh?? :twisted:

And, really...
To say neurodiversity won't last long as you say will always mean to eventually stop progress of several mediums of learning, psychiatry -- specifically mental hygiene and several degrees of emotional support along with it -- which is a recently developing thing already.

And about, uhm, 'low functioning' autistics?
Do you speak for them? Do you speak for their parents? Do you also speak for the community and professionals who are involved or as you say, affected?
How much do you know whether or not those who are involved are all against neurodiversity?
And if you are one -- tell us your story then.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 3:18 pm

edna3362 wrote:
Or, with your own conclusions, a product of bitterness that neurodiversity fails you.

But worry not, some people here can sympathize -- with their loneliness, their desire to conform, their anxieties because uncontrollable behaviors and be, oh, I dunno, 'fitting in'.

If you talk about society and government, you have to look at how dysfunctional NTs are and can be first before trying to redirecting advocates.

Truth? NTs are practically the biggest victims. And they had been for centuries.

As of now? They're too busy panicking in pandemics and moral provocations.
Let alone push for whatever direction of 'progress' you speak of.

And in which from my point of view specifically:
Governments and taxes. LOL. OMGLOL.
I'm sorry -- but this argument just NOT apply in my country. But that's just me, eh??

No one said NT`s didn't have their own issues but the bottom line is they can look after themselves in nearly all cases
unless they have another medical issue.

Just saying the central pillar of ND, the idea that somehow science & government are going to turn around and say those who are severely disabled by their autism & living in 24/7 care are not disabled and is a natural difference is not going to happen.

Nor should it, imagine the conversation at the welfare / social services office, man walks in with a carer:-

Helper: - "Hi I found John my next door neighbour sleeping rough since his elderly mother died, he`s severly autistic and needs help - someone to look after him"

Receptionist: "Congratulations how wonderful he`s severly autistic, but didn't you know autism is no longer regarded as a disability, so we cant really help him im afraid"

Helper - "What do you mean he`s not disabled, he`s non verbal with severe executive function problems, he cant cook or look after himself, he`ll probably die or live on the streets unless someone helps him"

Receptionist : "im sorry autism isn't a disability anymore, since neurodiversity made it law, can he just not get a job?, the jobs board is over there"

Helper - "I told you he`s severly autistic and cannot work"

Receptionist " what do you mean cannot work, you mean he will not probably. Like I said autism is not a disability anymore and certainly not a barrier to getting a job or being forced to get a job"

Helper - "Can you just not give him welfare to just sit at home all day even if he`s not disabled?"

Receptionist "What makes you think people are happy to pay their taxes to those who are capable of work but don't want to? Those workmen outside over the street, construction workers covered in dust and sweat in 40c heat, are they happy to work all day so people who are capable of work can get up at 11 do nothing all day and get paid for it?"

Helper - "Probably not, what can we do?"

Receptionist : "There`s a homeless shelter down the street you can take him there, but he`ll have to look after himself im afraid like a said its law now"

---------------------------

Like I say never going to happen. Nor should it for the example given, pretending & denying people their disability is a form of ableism anyway.

Advocates could achieve so much more if they didn't waste their time on pointless unscientific ideology.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 4:39 pm

Never gonna happen you say. :lol: So you see the future now?
Don't you think outside the damnable box, or think of humans so low that they can't?

Advocates do as they please.
Utilitarian ways are usually not one of them. :twisted:
You even expect *NT* scientists to do so too?? That's even less realistic.

carlos55 wrote:
No one said NT`s didn't have their own issues but the bottom line is they can look after themselves in nearly all cases
unless they have another medical issue.

Just saying the central pillar of ND, the idea that somehow science & government are going to turn around and say those who are severely disabled by their autism & living in 24/7 care are not disabled and is a natural difference is not going to happen.

Nor should it, imagine the conversation at the welfare / social services office, man walks in with a carer:-

Helper: - "Hi I found John my next door neighbour sleeping rough since his elderly mother died, he`s severly autistic and needs help - someone to look after him"

Receptionist: "Congratulations how wonderful he`s severly autistic, but didn't you know autism is no longer regarded as a disability, so we cant really help him im afraid"

Helper - "What do you mean he`s not disabled, he`s non verbal with severe executive function problems, he cant cook or look after himself, he`ll probably die or live on the streets unless someone helps him"

Receptionist : "im sorry autism isn't a disability anymore, since neurodiversity made it law, can he just not get a job?, the jobs board is over there"

Helper - "I told you he`s severly autistic and cannot work"

Receptionist " what do you mean cannot work, you mean he will not probably. Like I said autism is not a disability anymore and certainly not a barrier to getting a job or being forced to get a job"

Helper - "Can you just not give him welfare to just sit at home all day even if he`s not disabled?"

Receptionist "What makes you think people are happy to pay their taxes to those who are capable of work but don't want to? Those workmen outside over the street, construction workers covered in dust and sweat in 40c heat, are they happy to work all day so people who are capable of work can get up at 11 do nothing all day and get paid for it?"

Helper - "Probably not, what can we do?"

Receptionist : "There`s a homeless shelter down the street you can take him there, but he`ll have to look after himself im afraid like a said its law now"

---------------------------

Like I say never going to happen. Nor should it for the example given, pretending & denying people their disability is a form of ableism anyway.

Advocates could achieve so much more if they didn't waste their time on pointless unscientific ideology.

And as for the dialogue -- if that's all that you have, then...
Was this the primary reason why you're anti-ND the whole time????

Are you that misinformed?
Do you think of humans so low to go with this kind of misunderstanding???

You think that is neurodiversity is all about?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Even families, caretakers, professionals and teachers involving LFAs knew better than that, and plenty of them practices neurodiversity and recognizes differences.
Disability components are not mutually exclusive.

You know who else 'believes' the same thing?
Those who are so busy panicking, they see nothing but hopelessness and brought every false hopes that a conman can bank.

This 'nightmare' of yours is as unscientific as to any person jumping to conclusions.
I think you have better luck with accusing neurodiversity for a cult for a conclusion. :|

I think I wasted my time.
I'm really sorry, I thought you're anti-ND because the world failed you or something.

I'm so disappointed. :oops:

Please, just please -- get more experience or understanding next time. Suggestion? Stay away from supremacists.
And I won't hold my breath on it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 7:17 pm

I don't believe sensible, pro ND, people are against help being given to those with severe autism , and against such people being regarded as disabled .

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 3:41 am

It’s all very simple.

Some people prefer talking in semantics and riddles others straight forward facts.

Does the social model of disability ND promote fit John? Yes or No

Would removing all Stigmas attached to johns condition help him live and support himself - yes or no

Will removing all stigmas and worshipping him like a god give him the executive function and ability to work and live on his own - yes or no

For all it’s No

What condition has John been diagnosed with - severely autism, officially

Is severe autism a disability that goes beyond social stigmas (see above) - yes

What can removing stigmas do to help John in his day to day life - not a lot

The question was will severe forms of autism that are actually disabilities prevent the condition from being “de disableised” - yes

Why?

Because johns condition ruins and shortens his life, cost money, time and energy to all who have to look after them.

Because where rubber meets road facts are important.

Whoever says facts don’t matter has never filled in a government form asking for money or help.

Are you disabled yes or no?

There’s lots of Johns around however inconvenient they are for ND and they get made all the time and are not going away soon.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 4:04 am

There's a good reason why professionals exists. :roll: Why debates exists between advocates.

Quote:
Some people prefer talking in semantics and riddles others straight forward facts.

And clearly, you never met professionals involved and discussing these things -- both positive and negative sides of neurodiversity.

But something you claim 'simple'?? :lol: Facts?

You want semantics and facts?
News flash: that's not how the world works.
Quote:
The question was will severe forms of autism that are actually disabilities prevent the condition from being “de disableised” - yes

Why?

Because johns condition ruins and shortens his life, cost money, time and energy to all who have to look after them.

Do you also take humans for a fool?
And what part of humans don't do utilitarianism you don't get?

I'm beginning to doubt you even know advocates are -- except being selective and having this imaginary dystopia.

If see everything as yes or no portions, you don't present neurodiversity in either negative or positive in realistic ways.
You seem to portray either kids who thinks they knew it all, the fools who don't bother to read.

But honestly?
Unless you got something solid, something bigger than whatever world you're imagining or move out of it...

I'm done with you. :lol: That very post only gave me the suspicion that you're either too inexperienced.
Or a troll who likes to provoke others into guilting that autistics are burden, neurodiversity is a product of impairment.

It's been fun.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 4:12 am

Anything about "neurodiversity" belongs here in the "Autism Politics" section

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman