Does the heterogeneity of autism undermine the neurodiversit

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 9:42 am

carlos55 wrote:
By the way Edna when gov get involved with ND it’s disability opportunities they are promoting. ND is just a catchy word for it. They are not promoting the paradigm for reasons given.

Autism will never be de-Disabalised the severe end will remain like cartoon cat Toms finger on Jerrys tail in Tom and Jerry. It’s not going anywhere.

Do I have to spell it out for you?? :lol:
The Government is irrelevant.
I.R.R.E.L.E.V.A.N.T. :mrgreen:

If your beliefs of representing the medical model is based on that, you're not representing the medical model.
Or against the social model.
Or being an aversary of neurodiversity.

Who knows, maybe you're just some yeller who is failed by the government yourself and blame neurodiversity for it. :twisted:

In the real world, at this present, putting 'John' at the mercy of government and the current system would do nothing.
This 'John the LFA' would just die on the streets for all they care. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can say the same with any disabilities in mind. Or any differences.
Whatever you're pointing here, again, is a waste of time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

But if you are so hung up with the government systems "promoting" neurodiversity... :o Since you keep mentioning UK, I shall tell you mine:

In my country, we don't rely much on the government. Ever.
They're focused on the bloody drug wars, territorial disputes and whatever debt this country is involved.
The system exists from where I live barely accommodated NTs, let alone enter the idea of NDs.

My social mentors, direct accounts of disability movement, direct accounts of teachers and professionals make their own tools.
Any attempts of promoting neurodiversity with government is irrelevant.
Enumerating how taxes and labor system works is irrelevant.

By the way, I live in a country where divorce is illegal. :lmao:

If you can't wrap your head around that :o that ain't my problem.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 10:06 am

The"neurodiversity movement" isn't one thing.

I support "neurodiversity" inasmuch as I obviously think we should acknowledge that "neurodiversity" (or behavioral idiosyncracy) isn't necessarily bad and veer away from constantly pathologizing everything we can. (The way the mental health system in the USA works, the more you diagnose, the more money you make, sooo...)

But the article is correct that "Autism" is too broad a label to be classified as "just like an ethnic minority group" (did Nick Walker actually try to compare medical treatment for Autism to the Final Solution in Nazi Germany? Reductio ad Hitlerum is a huge fallacy in this discussion.)

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: even if we are only talking about "high functioning" Autistics who do not have pervasive developmental problems, the kind of social ostracization and isolation we face as Autistics cannot be rectified by "cultural change" especially when Autism is a label that is rarely perceived day to day anyways. If I come off as rude, offensive or plain uninteresting to others, they'll exclude me. "Discrimination" and "prejudice" have nothing to do with it, and the ND movement can do nil for those problems. (Social skill training for them via therapy is also pretty abysmal ime.)

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 11:39 am

When autistic people are against Neurodiversity such as myself it’s the paradigm they are against.

Many find their pushing of their anti cure stance along with their whitewashing of the more serious symptoms as “left handedness” as disingenuous at best offensive at worst.

Of course if it was some type of zen movement like alternative medicine ( that Edna kind of implies that is happening in her country) that minded it’s own business in not controlling how people think, didn’t try to bully others into accepting their point of view (see nick walker types) people like me wouldn’t care.

We still support accommodations whether societal or workplace and if people are happy the way they are good luck to them.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:13 pm

^ Zen movement? Alternative medicine??
You make my night hilarious. :lol:

And does anyone had any evidence that I'm anti-cure? Anti-medical stance? No??? :lol: :lol:

I'm anti-panic and anti-misinformed, not anti-cure and not even anti-'wanna-conform-or-be-normal'. :twisted:

I've met anti-NDs and those who covet NTs that I can respect, but you're not one of them definitely.

By the way, any attempt of persuading you would be a useless. :o
I mean why should I?? You already had made up your mind. I can respect that.

But please, educate yourself.

Whale_Tuune wrote:

I support "neurodiversity" inasmuch as I obviously think we should acknowledge that "neurodiversity" (or behavioral idiosyncracy) isn't necessarily bad and veer away from constantly pathologizing everything we can. (The way the mental health system in the USA works, the more you diagnose, the more money you make, sooo...)

Oh yes!! :lol: :cheers:

Whale_Tuune wrote:
But the article is correct that "Autism" is too broad a label to be classified as "just like an ethnic minority group" (did Nick Walker actually try to compare medical treatment for Autism to the Final Solution in Nazi Germany? Reductio ad Hitlerum is a huge fallacy in this discussion.)

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: even if we are only talking about "high functioning" Autistics who do not have pervasive developmental problems, the kind of social ostracization and isolation we face as Autistics cannot be rectified by "cultural change" especially when Autism is a label that is rarely perceived day to day anyways. If I come off as rude, offensive or plain uninteresting to others, they'll exclude me. "Discrimination" and "prejudice" have nothing to do with it, and the ND movement can do nil for those problems. (Social skill training for them via therapy is also pretty abysmal ime.)

:lol: Yes.
To split which is really autism and which isn't.

Hopefully determine the underlying reasons for social and communication issues, because the outcomes the generally same as any human are just as affected.
There's already a thread about this -- a discussion that social issues are not uniform or the same amongst autistics or the entire spectrum.

And neurodiversity doesn't shield one from one's faults.
Rather, neurodiversity gives one a chance to make out from those faults than giving it up entirely.

The real issue of neurodiversity is using said practice as though it's something to justify the get-out-of-jail card.
The same with the label autism.

Or any labels for that matter -- the bigger issue involve are those who obtain any label and didn't helped them develop or grow...

Either stances, anti-ND or pro-ND, would do make anyone give an excuse not to grow, or refuse support. :shrug:

Humans can generally find a way not to exercise patience and effort, not to practice empathy and compassion.
vermontsavant wrote:
That is one hole in the neurodiverse theory,without disability,what is societies motive to exclude and discriminate.

Society is angry with us because we communicate poorly. :|

I sought the day humans don't need neurodiversity and advocacy, for the same reasons one would sought the day that humans don't need medicines, cures and doctors. :twisted:

Without conflict, there's no need for a solution.
And I'm aware how neigh improbable this is in real life. :lol:

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:52 pm

edna3362 wrote:
^ Zen movement? Alternative medicine??
You make my night hilarious. :lol:

And does anyone had any evidence that I'm anti-cure? Anti-medical stance? No??? :lol: :lol:

I'm anti-panic and anti-misinformed, not anti-cure and not even anti-'wanna-conform-or-be-normal'. :twisted:

I've met anti-NDs and those who covet NTs that I can respect, but you're not one of them definitely.

By the way, any attempt of persuading you would be a useless. :o
I mean why should I?? You already had made up your mind. I can respect that.

But please, educate yourself.

Whale_Tuune wrote:

Oh yes!! :lol: :cheers:

Whale_Tuune wrote:

:lol: Yes.
To split which is really autism and which isn't.

Hopefully determine the underlying reasons for social and communication issues, because the outcomes the generally same as any human are just as affected.
There's already a thread about this -- a discussion that social issues are not uniform or the same amongst autistics or the entire spectrum.

And neurodiversity doesn't shield one from one's faults.
Rather, neurodiversity gives one a chance to make out from those faults than giving it up entirely.

The real issue of neurodiversity is using said practice as though it's something to justify the get-out-of-jail card.
The same with the label autism.

Or any labels for that matter -- the bigger issue involve are those who obtain any label and didn't helped them develop or grow...

Either stances, anti-ND or pro-ND, would do make anyone give an excuse not to grow, or refuse support. :shrug:

Humans can generally find a way not to exercise patience and effort, not to practice empathy and compassion.
vermontsavant wrote:
That is one hole in the neurodiverse theory,without disability,what is societies motive to exclude and discriminate.

Society is angry with us because we communicate poorly. :|

I sought the day humans don't need neurodiversity and advocacy, for the same reasons one would sought the day that humans don't need medicines, cures and doctors. :twisted:

Without conflict, there's no need for a solution.
And I'm aware how neigh improbable this is in real life. :lol:

I have no idea where you stand on things like cure etc.. but when we in the west refer to the "neurodiversity movement" we are referring to the paradigm that doesnt recognise the life destroying aspects of autism as a real disability, and is anti cure.

I have no idea what your personal interpretation of ND is but im refering to the paradigm.

Perhaps we as us brits say are talking apples and pears (different things)

For example if someone says they are gay it nearly always means same sex attraction not happy & jolly as the word has an old & new meaning.

If someone says they support the neurodiversity movement it usually means the anti cure anti bio research paradigm.

The Zen alternative medicine was just a metaphorical example of something that`s unscientific thats generally there for people to take or leave and doesnt bully its way to power over scientific view.

- George Bernie Shaw

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:17 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_in_autism

The paradigm so we’re clear

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 9:04 pm

Wikipedia wrote:
Neurodiversity paradigm

The neurodiversity paradigm is a view of autism as a different way of being rather than as a disease or disorder that must be cured.

Relative. Unknown factors.
Discrepancies between this statement from real 'practice'.

Wikipedia wrote:
Autistic people are considered to have neurocognitive differences[34] which give them distinct strengths and weaknesses, and are capable of succeeding when appropriately accommodated and supported.

Which is true, not exclusive.

Wikipedia wrote:
Efforts to eliminate autism should not be compared, for example, to curing cancer but instead to the antiquated notion of curing left-handedness.

Both comparisons are absurd.

Wikipedia wrote:
There is no leader of the neurodiversity movement and little academic research has been conducted on it as a social phenomenon.[34]

Not enough data. Justified.

Wikipedia wrote:
As such, proponents of the neurodiversity paradigm have heterogenous beliefs,[34]

In which is the most true statement.

Wikipedia wrote:
but are consistent in the view that autism cannot be separated from an autistic person

Relative. Unexplored and unknown factors.

Wikipedia wrote:
.[40] Advocacy efforts may include opposition to therapies that aim to make children "indistinguishable from their peers,"[40]

Which proven to be a real mental health detriment.

Wikipedia wrote:
accommodations in schools and work environments,[44] and lobbying for the inclusion of autistic people when making decisions that affect them.[45]

Justified, not exclusive to autism.

Wikipedia wrote:
Neurodiversity advocates are opposed to medical research for a cure,

Debatable/relative.

Wikipedia wrote:
believing that it will lead to eugenics,

Just as ridiculous as debating about homeless LFAs and justifying about being against it.

Wikipedia wrote:
and instead support research that helps autistic people thrive as they are.[40]

Relative. Unpredictable factors.

Wikipedia wrote:
For example, NeuroTribes author Steve Silberman noted a lack of research in regards to seizure-controlling drugs and autistic brains;

Not enough data. Pointing out justified.

Wikipedia wrote:
that sensory differences in autistic people were unheard of until Temple Grandin spoke about her experiences;

True.

Wikipedia wrote:
and that only a small percentage of research funding goes towards the needs of autistic adults.[42][44][46]

Relative. Limited.

Sigh. :|
Verdict? :lol: There's nothing for me to agree or disagree.
It only made me look forward to any sort of progress and those changes regarding to the label that is autism. :mrgreen:

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 3:25 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Neurodiversity paradigm

The neurodiversity paradigm is a view of autism as a different way of being rather than as a disease or disorder that must be cured.

Wikipedia wrote:
Autistic people are considered to have neurocognitive differences[34] which give them distinct strengths and weaknesses, and are capable of succeeding when appropriately accommodated and supported.

Wikipedia wrote:
Efforts to eliminate autism should not be compared, for example, to curing cancer but instead to the antiquated notion of curing left-handedness.

Wikipedia wrote:
There is no leader of the neurodiversity movement and little academic research has been conducted on it as a social phenomenon.[34]

Wikipedia wrote:
As such, proponents of the neurodiversity paradigm have heterogenous beliefs,[34]

Wikipedia wrote:
but are consistent in the view that autism cannot be separated from an autistic person

Wikipedia wrote:
.[40] Advocacy efforts may include opposition to therapies that aim to make children "indistinguishable from their peers,"[40]

Wikipedia wrote:
accommodations in schools and work environments,[44] and lobbying for the inclusion of autistic people when making decisions that affect them.[45]

Wikipedia wrote:

Debatable/relative.

Wikipedia wrote:

Just as ridiculous as debating about homeless LFAs and justifying about being against it.

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
For example, NeuroTribes author Steve Silberman noted a lack of research in regards to seizure-controlling drugs and autistic brains;

Wikipedia wrote:
that sensory differences in autistic people were unheard of until Temple Grandin spoke about her experiences;

True.

Wikipedia wrote:
and that only a small percentage of research funding goes towards the needs of autistic adults.[42][44][46]

Relative. Limited.

It only made me look forward to any sort of progress and those changes regarding to the label that is autism. :mrgreen:

Thanks for pointing out and breaking down the absurdities, i take it you don`t believe in the whole paradigm from your comments, in which case good for you, the only problem no one cares what you and i believe in, its the direction of the herd that`s important.

If you say you support the neurodiversity movement then its presumed you support the paradigm and are anti cure and in many ways dismissive of the severe life destroying symptoms of autism as they can`t be separated.

You`ve stood up to be counted as a supporter. Its common in revolutions that people support things thinking they are coming along for the ride and have the power to change the course of things to their point of view later on, then they start shooting people and then they say "well i never wanted this!", but they were part of the engine by supporting it.

Anyway another absurdity and scientific illiteracy is the idea of developing cures and bio treatment of people being eugenics. Eugenics is about selective breading or reproduction with a particular goal. Curing / treating is the opposite of eugenics as it gives those who have a genetic problem a chance to live a full life rather than dumping in a corner and given a label.

You know what is a form of "soft eugenics" though, labelling people. All this obsession with adult diagnosis to uncover more milder autistic people in the population.

Of course one could interpret this as just trying to help adults who have had life long problems, if only they could really offer them something.

The result of this is many of those identified become scared or guilty of having children, this includes siblings of autistic people.

Women / potential partners also now know who to avoid if they want healthy children by our label.

All this may in the long run have an effect of reducing the autistic genes in the population. What do neurodiversity want to do - create an identity movement. :lol:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/eugenics

Quote:
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, especially by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics).

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 5:12 am

Quote:
All this obsession with adult diagnosis to uncover more milder autistic people in the population.

From that acidic response it seems you don't have much time for those of us dxed as adults . The truth is you have no idea how well I or anyone else does away from this forum .

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 5:50 am

Writes provocatively and has a very rigid definition. :lol:

Writes as if this one speaks for other anti-NDs. :o

Never answered my questions if involved with parents or relatives, caretakers professionals involved with LFAs.
Nor shown any knowledge other than some selective view base on viewing things in extremes. :lol:

And is equally dismissive to other autistics. By telling himself that he's smarter than that and is able to predict the future. :mrgreen:

I understand the need for concrete definitions, but learning to have more flexible definitions than that would be the point of wanting to be more than just an aspie with parlor mental tricks? :twisted:

carlos55 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Neurodiversity paradigm

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Debatable/relative.

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

True.

Wikipedia wrote:

Relative. Limited.

Thanks for pointing out and breaking down the absurdities, i take it you don`t believe in the whole paradigm from your comments, in which case good for you, the only problem no one cares what you and i believe in, its the direction of the herd that`s important.

If you say you support the neurodiversity movement then its presumed you support the paradigm and are anti cure and in many ways dismissive of the severe life destroying symptoms of autism as they can`t be separated.

You`ve stood up to be counted as a supporter. Its common in revolutions that people support things thinking they are coming along for the ride and have the power to change the course of things to their point of view later on, then they start shooting people and then they say "well i never wanted this!", but they were part of the engine by supporting it.

Anyway another absurdity and scientific illiteracy is the idea of developing cures and bio treatment of people being eugenics. Eugenics is about selective breading or reproduction with a particular goal. Curing / treating is the opposite of eugenics as it gives those who have a genetic problem a chance to live a full life rather than dumping in a corner and given a label.

You know what is a form of "soft eugenics" though, labelling people. All this obsession with adult diagnosis to uncover more milder autistic people in the population.

Of course one could interpret this as just trying to help adults who have had life long problems, if only they could really offer them something.

The result of this is many of those identified become scared or guilty of having children, this includes siblings of autistic people.

Women / potential partners also now know who to avoid if they want healthy children by our label.

All this may in the long run have an effect of reducing the autistic genes in the population. What do neurodiversity want to do - create an identity movement. :lol:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/eugenics

Quote:
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, especially by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics).

Is so? :lol:

I'd rather have these colorful sets of data speak for me then.

https://autisticnotweird.com/2018survey/

Educate. Yourself.

If you accuse me of anti-cure and being dismissive of LFAs, I'd accuse you of loud ignorance. :lol:

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 7:42 am

Nothing wrong with being identified in adulthood firemonkey I was identified as an adult.

Just making a point ND are so dead set on being seen as anti eugenics by being anti cure they not only don’t know what eugenics is, they actually promote policies that NTs who wanted a form of soft eugenics would favor.

This is mainly governments though , ND just adds to it

i.e identity a genetic trait in a population deemed negative by encouraging those who potentially have such a traits even mild be officially diagnosed and labeled.

ND add to it by trying to create an identity out of it so we are marked out in society more openly leading to us being avoided by potential partners so we are less likely to have children.

Of course I accept this policy could have other less negative more benevolent interpretations.

But even if benevolent one still can’t avoid the Inadvertent potential outcome over the long term.

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 8:59 am

When you add in comorbids ,what may seem mild when focussing just on the ASD becomes less mild when those comorbids are included.

For me those comorbids are highly probably dyspraxia(mentioned in assessment report, but not dxed as the assessment was purely to say yay or nay about being on the spectrum), schizoaffective disorder and very possibly learning difficulty .

I don't in any way see myself as homo sapiens 2.0 or 3.0 . I'm someone who doesn't compare well to age and intelligence matched people from the general population . I live a rather basic lifestyle.

How I am on these ,and other, forums doesn't reflect how I am in situations where more practical intelligence is required .

On father's day my stepdaughter gave me a hidden disabilities lanyard (amongst other gifts) . Some here might be offended if given such a lanyard. For me,however, it showed she cared and was aware of the difficulties I have .

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 9:03 am

Edna:

You seem to take things very personally getting angry at opinions that differ from yours. I don’t believe I have been anything but courteous of your opinion but you seem to want to insult, get angry and accuse me of all kinds of things.

1. I never said I was psychic just said it’s unlikely that someone who is severely disabled would be classed as “normal“. Maybe in a dystopian future it would and johns experience would be the normal. Like palmyra was a nice place to visit in 2010, in 2014 ISIS were cutting off heads there so you never know. Let’s hope not.

2.To answer your missed questions do I have any involvement in LFA?

My cousin had low functioning autism, he’s dead now for a few years but i remember many things.

Im a member of a local autism support group so I know of a few parents of LFA children, one an adult now self harms and never leaves his room, another is ok in his self but has ID.

I don’t know any professionals in that field but an old British saying I don’t need a weatherman to tell me when it’s p***ing down. I don’t need an expert to tell me LFA is very bad Indeed.

But according to ND it’s just like being left handed.

I don’t represent LFA, who cares if I did, it doesn’t invalidate what I’ve said.

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 12:13 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Edna:

You seem to take things very personally getting angry at opinions that differ from yours. I don’t believe I have been anything but courteous of your opinion but you seem to want to insult, get angry and accuse me of all kinds of things.

1. I never said I was psychic just said it’s unlikely that someone who is severely disabled would be classed as “normal“. Maybe in a dystopian future it would and johns experience would be the normal. Like palmyra was a nice place to visit in 2010, in 2014 ISIS were cutting off heads there so you never know. Let’s hope not.

2.To answer your missed questions do I have any involvement in LFA?

My cousin had low functioning autism, he’s dead now for a few years but i remember many things.

Im a member of a local autism support group so I know of a few parents of LFA children, one an adult now self harms and never leaves his room, another is ok in his self but has ID.

I don’t know any professionals in that field but an old British saying I don’t need a weatherman to tell me when it’s p***ing down. I don’t need an expert to tell me LFA is very bad Indeed.

But according to ND it’s just like being left handed.

I don’t represent LFA, who cares if I did, it doesn’t invalidate what I’ve said.

Then I shall apologize.

I do not care whether or not the cure comes true. Because I do not see it as a threat to the neurodiversity. :twisted:

Like you, it won't happen either.
It's just as impossible as any sensible person to take the paradigm statement legally enforced. You take too seriously.

It's like worrying over making law enforcing homosexuality and heterosexuality illegal. :lol:

Autism itself is the enigma.
I'd rather hope the change brings a clearer picture than further confusion.

The change itself can potentially have pro-ND and pro-cure possible.

If a pro-cure person sees autism as a disease to be cured, openly suffering for it or wants it best for their love ones -- I'm fine with them.

If anything, I'd made sure if they're willing to bleed for it.

But you are aware of the discrepancies of the paradigm you spoke of and the real practice isn't one to be taken to extremes, yes??

From what I can see, you are pro-cure and anyone here would understand any justifications about it.
But being you seem to be anti-ND just for the sake of it. :roll: By hiding behind the LFA's flight.

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2020, 7:47 pm

It would only reinforce the concept of neurodiversity.
This is a bell curve within a bell curve. Why do you ask.