Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:30 pm

While we are at it, let's change the name of the state from Montana to Paradise Island and make the name of the capital Port Happiness or something like that just because Rhode Island is already falsely advertising itself as an island

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
While we are at it, let's change the name of the state from Montana to Paradise Island and make the name of the capital Port Happiness or something like that just because Rhode Island is already falsely advertising itself as an island
With -5 degree winters and 100 degree summers,Paradise Island would be false advertising too. :D Grizzly Bear Island might be better.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:35 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Sounds like it is changing to the name that everyone likes to call it anyway
Yea,people always say Rhode Island.The Rhode Island and Providence Plantation is for official state documents only.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:39 pm

There already are places in Michigan with the names Hell and Paradise, Michigan is probably worse than Montana for winter's because of the proximity to the great lakes

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:06 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
There already are places in Michigan with the names Hell and Paradise, Michigan is probably worse than Montana for winter's because of the proximity to the great lakes
You could be right,those lakes are misery in the winter,but Michigan likely doesn't get the hot summers that Montana or Wyoming get,those states have the biggest contrast between summer and winter.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:09 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
You could be right,those lakes are misery in the winter,but Michigan likely doesn't get the hot summers that Montana or Wyoming get,those states have the biggest contrast between summer and winter.

While I am at it, I am going to ask the governor of Florida to rename Pensacola Beach to Pensacola Mountain

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

Exactly.

The new name for Rhode Island will be....RHODE ISLAND!! !! !

And its not even like rock star Alice Cooper officially changing his name to Alice Cooper (when everone already knew that that wasnt his original real name).

Its like Prince Charles changing his name to...Prince Charles. But deleting out his forty middle names and his last name of Windsor- getting rid of the larger part of name that no one ever uses or knows about, and just keeping the well known part of his original actual born name that everyone knows.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:19 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
When my parents flew back from Europe the French accent pilot announced that "we are now approaching the Island of Rhodes". Which caused mom and Dad to freak out and think that they were on the wrong plane, and they were headed east across the Aegean, instead west back to the States. Turns out that the pilot meant "Rhode Island". Not the Greek island off the coast of Turkey.

But if the state legislature is gonna mess around with the name there is another thing they should change. Since "Rhode Island" isnt even a friggin island they ought to drop the "Island" part. Trouble is that the name "Rhodesia" is already taken. They could just call the state "Rhode Land".
Now that Rhodesia is Zimbawe,Rhodesia is open for the taking.It's a mystery why it's called an Island when it's not at all,it has some prominent islands like Block Island though.Maybe "Block Island" would be a better name.There is also Aquidneck Island which was called Rhode Island in colonial times,hence the name.

A similar thing happened to Puerto Rico. Originally the island was called "San Juan" (Saint John), and the city on the island was called "Puerto Rico" (rich port). You can still see it labeled that way on old colonial era maps. Then somehow sometime in the last five centuries it flipped, and the island became "Puerto Rico" (which doesnt really make sense as a name if ya think about it), and the city became "San Juan".

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Exactly.

The new name for Rhode Island will be....RHODE ISLAND!! ! ! !

And its not even like rock star Alice Cooper officially changing his name to Alice Cooper (when everone already knew that that wasnt his original real name).

Its like Prince Charles changing his name to...Prince Charles. But deleting out his forty middle names and his last name of Windsor- getting rid of the larger part of name that no one ever uses or knows about, and just keeping the well known part of his original actual born name that everyone knows.
I could be wrong but isn't Charles last name Mountbatten because that's his father's name.If royal last names went through the maternal,then wouldn't the royal family's name still be Hannover.

When Victoria died Edward the VII became a Saxe Coburg Gotha,which George V changed to Windsor.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:45 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

While I am at it, I am going to ask the governor of Florida to rename Pensacola Beach to Pensacola Mountain
Arn't there mountains near Pensacola.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:48 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Arn't there mountains near Pensacola.

To my knowledge, there are no mountains anywhere in Florida. Nearest ones are in North Alabama.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 4:01 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Exactly.

The new name for Rhode Island will be....RHODE ISLAND!! ! ! !

I could be wrong but isn't Charles last name Mountbatten because that's his father's name.If royal last names went through the maternal,then wouldn't the royal family's name still be Hannover.

When Victoria died Edward the VII became a Saxe Coburg Gotha,which George V changed to Windsor.

Charles surname is Mountbatten-Windsor. The surnames of the royals is a weird thing, they use different ones due to family or land entitlements. Harry is sometimes called Harry Windsor and sometimes Harry Wales. And his real name isnt even Harry anyway!

What a confused mixed up bunch. :lol:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:25 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Charles surname is Mountbatten-Windsor. The surnames of the royals is a weird thing, they use different ones due to family or land entitlements. Harry is sometimes called Harry Windsor and sometimes Harry Wales. And his real name isnt even Harry anyway!

What a confused mixed up bunch. :lol:
Wonder why Victoria didn't come up with something clever to save the Hanover name then.

Last edited by vermontsavant on 25 Jun 2020, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:29 pm

I like Family Guy's suggestion: Petoria.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 5:36 pm

"Plantation" in this context meant "colony"... remember Ulster Plantation?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

(Non-jokingly, this was probably a good move, even if it is just a name. Hey, at least they save some money on ink by not having to type out "and Providence Plantations".)
They could just go the Prince route and change their name to something like R1ndP^2: The State Formerly Known as Rhode Island and Providence Plantations

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Lets name it for Joe Biden. Bidenstan.

Wouldn't that be Delaware? We could call Rhode Island Williamstan (after Roger Williams? ??)

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides