Do You Get Treated Like You Are A Child?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 12:23 pm

I am not saying this has happened to me today, but sometimes in the past I have. Is it common? I find it strange as I am intelligent enough.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 3:46 pm

No, I get treated as if I have always been invulnerable.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 3:48 pm

Actually no.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 4:06 pm

People treat me somewhat like I'm a child. They seem to not believe I'm aware of things enough or prepared to be an adult, and they patronize me sometimes. It's probably from my mannerisms and the way I talk or something, because people in my family definitely treat me like that and make remarks about those things (that aren't always negative, but show that they regard me as childish). I can't think of any other reason why people do that.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 4:12 pm

The department I work in have a number of women with adult children about my age, so...kind? Not because of AS, though.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 4:37 pm

Most often I’m treated like I’m just part of the decor, like a fake potted plant or something (because a real one at least gets watered on a regular basis) - I might get some perfunctory notice at first, but after that, I may as well not even be there.

When I am noticed, I get treated like a child, yes. It seems that no matter what I do, there’s something that screams that there’s at least something “off” about me (don’t know what it might be), and people tend to assume it’s some sort of intellectual and/or developmental disorder (at least they’re right on the second one, but I don’t think it’s as severe as most people assume, I certainly don’t need to be treated like a child, certainly at least a teenager in most ways), and I think that’s why, because they assume I’m essentially a child in most ways regardless of what they think the cause is.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2020, 4:53 pm

Ouuhhh that's a big one.

:lol:

Yes, sometimes that happens.
If my parents do it, I can forgive them to a certain degree, cause they use to fall back into old patterns of thinking. But if someone outside of the family does it... :evil: :wall:
I have more the feelings it might have something to do with my looks, since I look quite young. And of course it happens in particular with people I'm a bit more reserved or shy with. Especially in moments I have difficulties to talk. That unfortunately still happens sometimes.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 8:15 pm

No. More like an adolescent.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2020, 9:27 pm

Not everybody knows how to act around people they know or think are on the spectrum. Maddening but understandable.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2020, 9:32 pm

Yes, I have no freedom and no responsibility.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 3:26 am

not anymore.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:03 am

LunaticCentruroides wrote:
Ouuhhh that's a big one.

If my parents do it, I can forgive them to a certain degree, cause they use to fall back into old patterns of thinking. But if someone outside of the family does it... :evil: :wall:
I have more the feelings it might have something to do with my looks, since I look quite young. And of course it happens in particular with people I'm a bit more reserved or shy with. Especially in moments I have difficulties to talk. That unfortunately still happens sometimes.

I feel really similar. I understand it coming from my family because they probably still see me as a kid because I'm one of the youngest family members and I also still look about 16 or 17 (18 if I'm lucky :lol: ). I try to be understanding of non-family people who maybe just talk like that to a lot of people, whether they have ASD or not and those who just don't think about how they come off to others but it definitely can leave me feeling a bit offended, like they don't respect my intelligence or me in general.

My Tumblr

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2020, 10:49 am

AriaEclipse wrote:
LunaticCentruroides wrote:
Ouuhhh that's a big one.

I feel really similar. I understand it coming from my family because they probably still see me as a kid because I'm one of the youngest family members and I also still look about 16 or 17 (18 if I'm lucky :lol: ). I try to be understanding of non-family people who maybe just talk like that to a lot of people, whether they have ASD or not and those who just don't think about how they come off to others but it definitely can leave me feeling a bit offended, like they don't respect my intelligence or me in general.

Yeah these are the feelings I go through as well.
I'm actually easily pissed about my parents if they do it. In these moments I have to remind them over and over again that how they treat me is inappropriate. It's tiring..

If someone outside of the family does it and I see they do it with everybody, okey. Forgiven. But if they do it only with you? 8O

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:56 am

Sometimes I'm, sometimes I'm not.

Because while I can act, think and feel like a real adult -- yet not true all the time and this 'switch' isn't my doing.

Sometimes I'm an adult in mind and body who can't express herself like an adult.
Sometimes I'm actually just a child who happened to look the part and have to pretend to act like an adult.

Those who knew me well knew of my own inconsistencies and that how one judges me isn't straight forward as it is.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 11:16 am

At one point ,yes. At 63 it's more likely I'll be treated as though I'm entering into my dotage .

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 10:24 am

Not anymore. Not in my age (66) - but in large parties, I often end up as a plant :mrgreen:

What bothers me more is, that "people" tend to "read" things into my remarks, so a quite innocent, rather direct comment or question are causing them to accuse me of having said things, I didn´t even think - or having intentions, I would never have!
They simply hear, what goes on between their own ears - and they apparently believe, that double-talk is the norm.
Now - who´s normal? :lol:

I am beginning to identify with the marsian on the wrong planet :(