Washington Redskins reviewing name after advertiser pressure

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 11:39 am

Dan Snyder to review, consider Washington Redskins name change; after pressure from officials, FedEx and Nike

Quote:
Dan Snyder has felt pressure before as owner of the Washington Redskins, but not like this. There have long been calls for Snyder to change the name of the team from what is viewed as a racial slur toward Native Americans, but he's consistently refused to do so, at one point going as far as to say it would "never" happen. That was then, however, and this is now. Following a damning message (read: ultimatum) from federal officials, a wiping of the mascot and name from Nike's online database, and the request by FedEx CEO Frederick Smith -- who is also a minority owner in Snyder's franchise as well as head of the company that sponsors the team's home stadium -- Snyder is softening his stance.

He'll now open up the floor internally for an official review of the name, per an official press release from the club, which strongly hints at the likelihood of a looming name change.

”In light of recent events around our country and feedback from our community, the Washington Redskins are announcing the team will undergo a thorough review of the team's name. This review formalizes the initial discussions the team has been having with the league in recent weeks.

"Dan Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins, stated, 'This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise, but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community it is proud to represent on and off the field.

"Ron Rivera, Head Coach of the Washington Redskins, remarked, 'This issue is of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our military.'

"We believe this review can and will be conducted with the best interest of all in mind."

This marks the first time Snyder has been open to such discussions. This consideration follows the murder of George Floyd by the Minneapolis Police, social injustice has fueled global protests and the tearing down or removal of racially-charged statues around the U.S. -- one of which being that of Washington's first team owner, George Preston Marshall. Snyder has taken the added step to commit to wiping Marshall from the organization altogether, but calls for a name change have hit fever pitch and simply erasing Marshall hasn't curbed them.

While this press release doesn't guarantee a change is on the horizon, the logic is if Washington were going to stick with the current name -- they likely wouldn't need to open the floor to an extensive review process (for the first time in the team's history as it relates to the name/mascot). Time will tell if it occurs, and what the new name would be, as well as what process would be in Snyder and minority owners like Smith would use to determine it, but what's clear is anything that does or does not occur will include as many meaningful voices as possible; versus Snyder simply putting his foot down as he has in the past on the issue.

IMHO “Washington Redskins” is going into the history books it is a matter of if not when. Now about the “Washington” part of the name.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 12:57 pm

It's changing the name of one of the original 8 NFL teams at the leagues inception,up until 1927 they were the Boston Redskins,they lost the 27 NFL championship.Them moved to D.C in 1928 and won the NFL championship,this of coarse predated the super bowl which didn't start until 1967.

Boston would not have another football team until 1960 with new Patriots franchise.

Here are the original 8 NFL teams long before the AFL's inception and the super bowl tradition.

Boston Redskins (now Washington)
Chicago Cardinals (now Arizona)
Chicago Bears
Cleveland Rams (now Los Angeles)
Pittsburg Steelers
New York Giants
Detroit Lions
Brooklyn Dodgers (now Indianapolis Colts)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 12:57 pm

...I feel like this has happened before.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:04 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

What do you mean?
There was discussion of a name change to the team a few years ago. If thats what you mean.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:05 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
There have been many name changes in pro sports,however none have them have concerned Native American logo's.

Baseball's Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves still carry there original names.Football's Washington Redskins is considered an especially offensive name with the refference to skin color and Indian rights groups have been complaining for decades but nothing has come of it.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:08 pm

Tampa Bay's baseball team changed it's name from the Devil Rays to simply the Rays back in 2012 or so,no Indian logo has ever changed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:11 pm

Fun fact.

The song "Hail to the Redskins" has changed over time.

In the Fifties it contained the line "fight for the Southland!! !!" which makes zero sense today. But back then Washington was the farthest southern town to have an NFL team, so they were considered the representative team of the entire South!

Wasnt until like 1960 that that distinction vanished when the Dallas Cowboys joined the NFL.

In the Sixties there was a big expansion of the NFL south and westward, and then a second big expansion in the eighties and Nineties.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fun fact.

The song "Hail to the Redskins" has changed over time.

In the Fifties it contained the line "fight for the Southland!! ! !" which makes zero sense today. But back then Washington was the farthest southern town to have an NFL team, so they were considered the representative team of the entire South!

Wasnt until like 1960 that that distinction vanished when the Dallas Cowboys joined the NFL.

In the Sixties there was a big expansion of the NFL south and westward, and then a second big expansion in the eighties and Nineties.
College football traditionally ruled in the south and in Texas High school football is king.

College also dominated the west as well,with the two Chicago teams being closest until the Oakland Raiders arrived in 60 and SF 49's as well and the Seahawks in 1978

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

What do you mean?
There was discussion of a name change to the team a few years ago. If thats what you mean.

The whole suddenly realizing that "redskins" might be a somewhat charged term, and the reviewing and the soul-searching and all the rest of it. And then that just kinda went away until the next time racial tensions got high.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:47 pm

Today racial tension's are more extreme than in history.

These riots of the last month far exceed the Watts riots of the late 60's and Rodney King riots of the 90's.

I think we are in a new era

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jul 2020, 1:53 pm

It does sound offensive and reminds me of certain terms that used to be in use here.

On a lighter note, the name can also refer to a type of peanut!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 2:00 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
It does sound offensive and reminds me of certain terms that used to be in use here.

On a lighter note, the name can also refer to a type of peanut!

Or a kind of potatoes!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 2:01 pm

New name: Washington Spuds.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 2:20 pm

I wonder if they will move to Colorado and take a jab back at South Park then call themselves the Colorado Fat Asses named after Eric Cartman in retaliation for the south park episode where Eric named his company the Washington Redskins.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 7:54 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

These riots of the last month far exceed the Watts riots of the late 60's and Rodney King riots of the 90's.

George Floyd riots estimated 25+ have died. 200 curfews issued, National Guard called out in 42 states, Protests in 2,000 cities and towns, 60+ countries
Watts riots 34 died
Rodney King Riots 63 died
Riots following the assassination of MLK over 100 cities 42 deaths
Long Hot Summer of 1967 159 riots 85+ deaths
New York City Draft riots 119-120 dead, deadliest single riot in U.S. history, arguably the second biggest insurrection against the U.S. outside of the Ciil War itself.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 6:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

George Floyd riots estimated 25+ have died. 200 curfews issued, National Guard called out in 42 states, Protests in 2,000 cities and towns, 60+ countries
Watts riots 34 died
Rodney King Riots 63 died
Riots following the assassination of MLK over 100 cities 42 deaths
Long Hot Summer of 1967 159 riots 85+ deaths
New York City Draft riots 119-120 dead, deadliest single riot in U.S. history, arguably the second biggest insurrection against the U.S. outside of the Ciil War itself.
I can't deny your statistics but I was a young adult during Rodney King and it feels these riots are more comprehensive then previous riots.In Rodney King no one took over six blocks in LA and called it an autonomous zone.I have read and watched programs about the Watts riots,these riots regardless of statistic feel on an emotional level more profound and influencial on history.