Can one hate racists and still support donald trump?

Page 1 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Can one hate racists and still support donald trump?
No. 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
NO! Obvs not, duh. djt is racist. 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 7:04 pm

:chin:

TuskenR
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2020, 7:10 pm

Turn into doubts

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 8:04 pm

One can claim it, but they've failed to put their money where their mouth is when it counts.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 8:10 pm

Sure. There's all sorts of confusion, willfull blindness and cognitive dissonance in the world.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 8:25 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Sure. There's all sorts of confusion, willfull blindness and cognitive dissonance in the world.

Or their name is Inigo Montoya and Hillary Clinton is actually the six-fingered man who murdered their father.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 8:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Or their name is Inigo Montoya and Hillary Clinton is actually the six-fingered man who murdered their father.

Prepare to die!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 10:06 pm

I think it's possible, and maybe they just saw the '16 election as the "douche vs. turd" moment South Park was warning us about.

I didn't vote for him (or for Hillary Clinton), and I do plan to vote for Biden. But I don't want moderate/centrist Republicans to be discouraged from running from office because of Trump either.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 11:36 pm

To call him a racist misses the point of why he is such a poor president. I believe he truly isn't thinking about whether his supporters are racists when he acknowledges them.

I know it's frowned upon to diagnose based on limiting information. But I want to go a step further and propose a new condition. He seems to have a ND which is the flip side of ASD. Superior social skills and a total lack of analytical skills. I'm sure everyone knows of people on this "spectrum", but he seems to cross the line in a dysfunctional zone. His childhood was as rocky as an aspie's, from what I know. These people can do fine in occupations that suit them as he had dramatically proven. When they're in the wrong occupation they should be fired. Please remember this for the election.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 1:33 am

CarlM wrote:
To call him a racist misses the point of why he is such a poor president. I believe he truly isn't thinking about whether his supporters are racists when he acknowledges them.

I know it's frowned upon to diagnose based on limiting information. But I want to go a step further and propose a new condition. He seems to have a ND which is the flip side of ASD. Superior social skills and a total lack of analytical skills. I'm sure everyone knows of people on this "spectrum", but he seems to cross the line in a dysfunctional zone. His childhood was as rocky as an aspie's, from what I know. These people can do fine in occupations that suit them as he had dramatically proven. When they're in the wrong occupation they should be fired. Please remember this for the election.

That IS a good summary of his aptitudes. He does have a good instinct for what gets a crowd excited. But he is poor on analytic skills. The real author of the "Art of the Deal" testified that Trump couldnt even analyze his own deal making skills, and had too short of an attention span to be interviewed about it, and so the real author had to just hangout in Trump's office and just watch Trump on the phone -to figure out Trump's style of "deal making".

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jul 2020, 7:38 am

(This thread has clearly been created to troll, however some of the posts have breezed right past that into a high-quality conversation, so I am going to leave it for now)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 8:02 am

The_Walrus wrote:
(This thread has clearly been created to troll, however some of the posts have breezed right past that into a high-quality conversation, so I am going to leave it for now)

Correct.
We must always reward trolling behaviour. :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 8:31 am

Any statement that starts with "Can one hate racists..." is a contradiction of itself. (think about it).

You should have said "can one oppose racism, and still support Donald Trump?".

To answer that later question:

One cannot oppose racism and support someone like George Wallace, David Duke, or Farrakhan, for high office.

But back in 016 a fair number of Blacks did support Trump, and despite the fact that Trump's favorite scapegoats are immigrants some of his most enthusiastic supporters were recent immigrants because of jobs- the economy did well under Trump.

But now things have changed. The economy/jobs have been taken out of the deck by this crises, so that eliminates the one and only "Trump" card (pun unavoidable). The fact that Trump didnt screw up the economy and allowed the rise that began under Obama to continue to rise is Trump's one and only achievement. Since thats gone he has just retreated into the womb of his narrow base, and talks divisive rhetoric- and pretty much shows his true racist colors. So now its both hard to deny his racism, and hard to find reasons to hold your nose and vote for him anyway despite his racism. So as it stands today- the answer is no. You cant both support him and oppose racism.

TuskenR
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2020, 9:20 am

The_Walrus wrote:
(This thread has clearly been created to troll..... so I am going to leave it for now)

Awesome.

Judge people individually, never crassly as a group.

Turn into doubts

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jul 2020, 9:51 am

I agree with Walrus that this thread should not have been created in the first p[lace - blatant trolling but will let it pass as it has improved.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 3:08 pm

https://www.wgbh.org/news/commentary/20 ... ters-exist

Be the hero of your life.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 3:16 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
I agree with Walrus that this thread should not have been created in the first p[lace - blatant trolling but will let it pass as it has improved.

This isn't trolling, it's a perfectly legitimate question about real ethics. This is why I left.

Don't vote racist.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: