Am I the only one who has never gone to concerts ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 5:04 am

First of all really the question is false, I have been to a couple of concerts such as Pearl Jam and Status Quo with my dad in 2010 (only because my dad liked status quo), but its just I have hardly ever since gone to see bands perform live and I seem to think everyone else in their twenties and early thirties have except me and this is because I won't go on my own because I feel it would be less enjoyable and become a bit of an awkward loser with everyone else with their mates and boyfriends and girlfriends all around me and I seem to think it would be more awkward if I had a parent to accompany me again and also I few friends who like what I like and not the going-out types. I do watch live gigs and feel envious watching the crowds especially watching live aid 1985 with queen's performance and wishing I was there and obviously I wasn't even born and my parents both went to Wembley a year after Live Aid to see Queen perform live. These things do leave me with a sense of regret and makes me feel like I have wasted the twenties not doing these things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 5:50 am

I went to about the same amount of concerts as you.

I don’t really care all that much for loud, live music, crowds, etc.

I don’t feel like I “missed out.”

You’re too much into “keeping up with the Joneses.” Do your own thing.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2020, 6:01 am

I go to gigs on my own all the time and I never feel like a loser because I’m alone. In some ways, it’s actually better to go on your own. You can show up when you want and you can leave whenever you want. I do sometimes feel a bit awkward prior to the band or singer taking the stage if everyone around me is talking to each other but once the main act comes on, I forget about the rest of the audience and turn my attention towards the stage and the music.

It is nice to go to concerts with others sometimes but it’s perfectly possible to still have a great time even if you go by yourself. Most of my favourite gigs have been ones where I was on my own. Try going to a local show by yourself if you can and see how you feel. There’s really no big deal in going to gigs on your own.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 6:28 am

If it makes you feel better I have never been to a concert in my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 6:31 am

But you’ve been on many rollercoasters.......

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 6:31 am

I've been in concerts more often than I'd choose to.

Never because I'd go to any concerts -- but because I stumbled upon concerts too many times.
Live bands are plenty here and festivities happens regularly.

Heck, there's a live band that performs at least trice a week, no more than 20 feet away from my house's door.
Next closest would be a minute walk away, another one would be less than 2 mins walk away, then another more than 2 mins walk away, festive venues at 2-3 blocks away and then another 5-6 blocks away. Bigger festivities happens no more than 10 mins walk away, and another 12 mins away, and another 15 mins away on foot. Etc.

That's at least 7+ venues I could just walk into, and it's only one of my routes on my way from home to exiting the village.

I'd say it's already chaotic here, then add more loudness into the mix. :lol: So... I may not able to appreciate as much for seeing it too often. :?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 6:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
But you’ve been on many rollercoasters.......

I can't even do that any more though, as I suffer severe grey-outs afterwards due to vertigo. Lacking oxygen due to g-force can make vertigo worse even if I take sickness pills.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 6:39 am

I really don’t like going on amusement park rides, either.

England’s Blackpool is like New York’s Coney Island.

Chris: are you back at your job yet?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 7:18 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I've been in concerts more often than I'd choose to.

Never because I'd go to any concerts -- but because I stumbled upon concerts too many times.
Live bands are plenty here and festivities happens regularly.

Heck, there's a live band that performs at least trice a week, no more than 20 feet away from my house's door.
Next closest would be a minute walk away, another one would be less than 2 mins walk away, then another more than 2 mins walk away, festive venues at 2-3 blocks away and then another 5-6 blocks away. Bigger festivities happens no more than 10 mins walk away, and another 12 mins away, and another 15 mins away on foot. Etc.

That's at least 7+ venues I could just walk into, and it's only one of my routes on my way from home to exiting the village.

I'd say it's already chaotic here, then add more loudness into the mix. :lol: So... I may not able to appreciate as much for seeing it too often. :?

I'm torn as to whether that's my idea of Paradise, or my idea of Hell...

I went to classical concerts regularly as a student, on my own or with others. Lack of money and transport has put paid to that. I've been to very few rock gigs, and only with friends- the noise level and crowds are hard to deal with, even with earplugs. That's despite me actually playing in a band for a few years! At our gigs, I prefered to listen to the other acts from the green room where I could hear the music properly through the wall- in the audience, it just sounds like random roaring and thudding sounds to me. Rather listen to a CD, frankly. Folk gigs hit a nice compromise between the energy of rock and the sound levels of classical.

Worth noting that classical concerts start at the announced time. Anything else, there's well over an hour to wait before anything happens on stage, so it's worth getting your ticket and going somewhere quieter for a bit!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 1:10 pm

I have only been to one concert (Tool, my favorite band and the only concert I would go to), and I had to leave early due to sensory issues. So I’ve never been to a full concert. I’d love to try again, but I expect the results would be the same.

And I too hate roller coasters, and spinning rides, and anything involving heights, which pretty much means there’s no point in me going to an amusement park because that eliminates all except maybe one or two rides.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 1:28 pm

chris1989 wrote:
First of all really the question is false, I have been to a couple of concerts such as Pearl Jam and Status Quo with my dad in 2010 (only because my dad liked status quo), but its just I have hardly ever since gone to see bands perform live and I seem to think everyone else in their twenties and early thirties have except me and this is because I won't go on my own because I feel it would be less enjoyable and become a bit of an awkward loser with everyone else with their mates and boyfriends and girlfriends all around me and I seem to think it would be more awkward if I had a parent to accompany me again and also I few friends who like what I like and not the going-out types. I do watch live gigs and feel envious watching the crowds especially watching live aid 1985 with queen's performance and wishing I was there and obviously I wasn't even born and my parents both went to Wembley a year after Live Aid to see Queen perform live. These things do leave me with a sense of regret and makes me feel like I have wasted the twenties not doing these things.

MY dad loves pearl jam. His favorite band however is Counting Crows. I've never considered going to concerts except maybe an eminem concert.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 1:51 pm

Wow, it seems that a lot of Aspies have been to concerts. I never, ever have.

Unless a school trip to the Royal Albert Hall in London counts as going to a concert, but probably not.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 3:03 pm

Most concerts both rock and classical hold the stress of being in large groups of people I feel ,
With the exception of seeing The Grateful Dead , in which most attendees are usual passively high , or intentionally.
And so with this prevailing in the crowd . Everyone is generally very calm , and no one. Seems to seek out any stress causing activities . The crowd was very mellow, I might add . But it still was a crowd . Ear plugs. Are a must for these type of events , for myself . Seems the crowd applause and that GT concert was louder than the band .

where ever you go ,there you are

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 9:13 pm

I have to love the band, because then it's an experience of such joy that it makes up for how miserable the nitty-gritty of attending a concert is.

It's very loud, there are obnoxious people doing all kinds of things to make it less enjoyable, like pushing and shoving, or holding up their phones right in front of your face, or just saying stupid and thoughtless things, the venue is usually very ugly and big and an unpleasant space to be in, there are too many people, and you have to stand for many hours (because getting a seat instead of being in the standing area in front of the stage is a bummer). It's pretty terrible, unless the band is so great that it makes you forget all of that, or at least lets you endure it joyfully.

I will say that concerts in small clubs or bars, again if you love the band, are pretty great, without any of the drawbacks listed above.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 8:49 am

I had to go to some classical or whatever concerts as a child in school trips, but other than that, I've only been to one that I'd say counts. I was 11 at the time and went with my family. It was nice since it was outside and in a small city, with lots of no name bands playing before it, so the place wasn't overcrowed. I like the idea of listening live music, but I don't like the idea of going somewhere that's completely backed... I've listened to some concerts behind the fence in my hometown though since I've lived within a walking distance from those.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 6:04 am

I've been to a few concerts. I've seen Ray Davies and The Rolling Stones. I've also been to a lot of fundraiser concerts.