Anyone else find life weirdly a lot easier with face masks?

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 7:08 pm

I do admit that I can now walk around with my mouth open and nobody would know. Before the pandemic I had to have my mouth shut in public because having your mouth open is considered socially unacceptable for some reason and I don't like people staring at me.
That's another thing - I find that people don't stare at me so much when I've got a face mask on, which I find odd because you can still see my eyes and I thought that most of your facial expressions are around the eyes, and I think that's what made people stare at me before (because I often looked worried or cross). Maybe wearing a mask relaxes my whole face.

Also it is said that people will disabilities, even invisible disabilities, can be excused from wearing a face mask, and I believe that a lot of people in that category will take advantage of that (for valid reasons, I'm not criticising anybody), and so wearing a mask might prove that I have no disability and that I'm just another neurotypical with no excuse to not wear a face covering. I hate my difference being subtly exposed in any way, I like to blend in and look neutral. I don't want special consideration.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 2:38 pm

oyveys wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this, but for some reason, wearing a face mask outside has made it easier for me to interact with people. I think its the fact that I'm not being scrutinized more my RBF and there's a bit less pressure to decipher others' facial expressions (which I could never do anyway). Also, my tendency to talk to myself (or at least mouth what I'm thinking) no longer gets me looks.

Aside from fogging up my glasses, face masks have weirdly been a blessing for me, at least socially. Shame it took a global viral outbreak for me to see the perks of a mask.

Wearing a mask doesn’t bother me in the least.

ComteRenoir
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2020, 2:45 pm

Yeah, I'm considering wearing them even after the pandemic is over tbh. I can do mouth stims without looking crazy and I don't have to worry about facial expressions.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 2:58 pm

I actually stand up straighter. I think I was hunching a lot to make it harder for people to see my face. (My face only shows expressions I don't want it to, and is prone to spasms and contortions when I'm tired or stressed, which is most of the time.)

NightMuse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:09 am

I've actually started finding it much harder to breathe when wearing the masks, but then what can I do? My state is under a mask mandate.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 5:52 am

Yes. This pandemic and this whole year of 2020 has turned me off of my fellow man. I feel vindicated by the mask. It's like a polite way to say "Stay the hell away from me." I especially appreciate the 6 foot distance - always wanted that - but didn't want a pandemic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 5:53 am

i am halfway tempted to spring for one of those portable O2 generators to help me breathe when i'm wearing one of those things.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 6:14 am

I skipped riding on the Metro to work to avoid wearing a face mask... 30 kilometres on my bicycle every day surely beats having to do an involuntary Darth Vader impression…

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 6:47 am

that is some heavy-duty biking, esp. if wearing a mask.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 7:54 pm

What is RBF?

I like that nobody can see my facial blemishes and my lack of make-up. I like that nobody (else) has to smell my incurable halitosis. I like that I can have my mouth open and do crazy things with it to relieve stress. I am not sure how much mouth movement can be seen through the mask, though.

I love the 6 ft rule! I loved socializing on zoom calls where I could turn off my video whenever I didn't want to focus on appearing normal. Haven't had a chance to do that in a while.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2020, 8:37 pm

^^^FYI, RBF=Resting B-word Face, IOW an unfriendly facial expression as a default countenance.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 1:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^FYI, RBF=Resting B-word Face, IOW an unfriendly facial expression as a default countenance.

Ahh thank you. Yes, I probably have that!

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 3:57 am

Carpeta wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ahh thank you. Yes, I probably have that!

mee too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 4:24 am

I enjoy the anonymity in the shops but walking the dog is a pain chugging my caboose up the hill trying to breath through the mask.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 4:33 am

it takes a real athlete to be able to exercise with these blessed things on.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 4:42 am

Exactly Blabs...I can vouch that those damn masks (medical and cloth) are difficult to breath in (despite the propoganda)