Anyone else find life weirdly a lot easier with face masks?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

oyveys
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2020, 5:49 pm

I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this, but for some reason, wearing a face mask outside has made it easier for me to interact with people. I think its the fact that I'm not being scrutinized more my RBF and there's a bit less pressure to decipher others' facial expressions (which I could never do anyway). Also, my tendency to talk to myself (or at least mouth what I'm thinking) no longer gets me looks.

Aside from fogging up my glasses, face masks have weirdly been a blessing for me, at least socially. Shame it took a global viral outbreak for me to see the perks of a mask.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2020, 6:03 pm

Yes, I'm no longer self-conscious about my facial expressions, it's an introverts dream. I hope this practice gets adopted as part of our culture even after the pandemic is over, like Japan.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 6:09 pm

I don’t like to feel like I’m constantly in an operating room.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 6:30 pm

It’s both a good thing and a bad thing for me. Good - I don’t have to constantly monitor my facial expression to make sure it won’t draw attention or give the wrong impression, and as an added bonus it covers up most of my bad skin. Bad - trying to find a position that doesn’t make my glasses fog too much, it slips down my nose when I speak so I have to keep pulling it back up, and it makes it even harder than usual for people to understand me when I speak, plus instead of saying “hi” or something when someone greets me, I know it will most likely not be heard, so I smile in acknowledgment, which is not visible under a mask.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2020, 2:58 pm

usagibryan wrote:
Yes, I'm no longer self-conscious about my facial expressions, it's an introverts dream. I hope this practice gets adopted as part of our culture even after the pandemic is over, like Japan.

This totally, went to tesco yesterday and was so nice not to have to worry about remembering to smile at people and hide my RBF lol. I usually get a bit overwhelmned by the end of a shopping trip but with a mask on i was totally fine and actually browsed for a bit instead of just grabbing what i need and gettin out as quick as possible.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2020, 5:15 pm

I have felt like life is easier. Interactions in stores seem to go more smoothly, and people are more polite to me. The only problem is I have a harder time hearing what people say and vice versa.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 5:37 pm

I'm not having as many asthma attacks since I started wearing a face-mask.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 5:54 pm

I work as a nurse in a Nursing Home (very vulnerable population to Covid). I wear a mask AND safety glasses when at work. I also wear a good quality, washable, non medical mask when I'm out and about and when shopping and stuff.

The advantages:

Protect my patient, my colleagues and myself at work (top priority);
Protect my community and myself on my own time;
People can't see me yawn when I'm tired (lol);
My sometimes not-so-professional facial expressions are hidden ;)

The disadvantages:

My patients (who have low hearing, often dementia, etc) have trouble hearing me.
I can't use slightly exagerated facial expressions, which help a person who has low hearing or cognitive difficulties understand me and have social engagement (I use smiles and expressive eyes to communicate with many of my patients)

At work and on my off time, I also wear a chemo cap (a nice one that matches my work dresses and off duty dresses). I wear these to protect my hair. I change into my work cap and back into my off duty cap at end of shift. This way I can just rinse or condition my hair without worrying about excessive, drying shampooing. The caps also indicate to others that I MAY be immuno compromised and to not-be-a-jerk-because-I'm-wearing-a-mask. Sadly, even in Canada, we have anti-maskers,although they are much less common than in the US. Besides, on the West Coast, we are pretty laid back :) )

I don't mind wearing them. It gets a little hot in the summer, but, other than that, in my off time in the community - I like wearing them. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 6:25 pm

Very few people in NYC are “anti-mask.” 22,000 deaths have taught us the value of prevention.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2020, 12:06 pm

roccoslife wrote:
usagibryan wrote:

This totally, went to tesco yesterday and was so nice not to have to worry about remembering to smile at people and hide my RBF lol. I usually get a bit overwhelmned by the end of a shopping trip but with a mask on i was totally fine and actually browsed for a bit instead of just grabbing what i need and gettin out as quick as possible.

Weirdly enough I actually smile more with the mask on, it's easier to smile when people don't see it. Although maybe they can tell from my eyes and I look like a maniac.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Erjoy29
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2020, 12:04 am

It’s only a little bit easier. If I could mask my whole body and my voice, and anything else I could think of, it would be loads easier.

randomusername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

Yep! I love not having to concentrate on what my expression looks like.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 12:17 pm

oyveys wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this, but for some reason, wearing a face mask outside has made it easier for me to interact with people. I think its the fact that I'm not being scrutinized more my RBF and there's a bit less pressure to decipher others' facial expressions (which I could never do anyway). Also, my tendency to talk to myself (or at least mouth what I'm thinking) no longer gets me looks.

Aside from fogging up my glasses, face masks have weirdly been a blessing for me, at least socially. Shame it took a global viral outbreak for me to see the perks of a mask.

Yes and especially if I run into people who I have been acquainted with in the past who I don't care for. It's easier to avoid them

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:50 pm

I have enjoyed not feeling pressured to smile and not having to observe others smiling :twisted: . I also like that it's now socially acceptable for me tell people to move away from me (not that that every stopped me before, heh). As a special bonus the mask norm has made it easy to identity a$$holes and idiots: no mask = a-hole, masks with nose out = idiot. 8)

Of course I don't like the feeling of wearing it but the good outweighs that.

mariasilv
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2020, 12:33 am

It's nice not having to show my face completely it makes me feel safe for some reason.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2020, 1:08 am

i will wear them as instructed, but they are SUFFOCATING and HOT! i SWEAT profusely after just a few minutes wearing those things in a typical overheated store.