Page 10 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2024, 4:17 pm

I always thought I hated Nintendo games and that they were massively overrated based off trying some before (and the lifelong bias due to my first console being a Mega Drive!) but now I'm enjoying Super Mario Odyssey so... I guess now I'm going to make this my Nintendo year and finish as many of their games and contracted exclusives as possible. I've literally never finished a single one, or even played one for more than an hour, besides uh Super Mario 3D Land. Oh and I guess I finished Pokemon Red or Blue as a kid...

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 9:41 pm

arekks wrote:
I always thought I hated Nintendo games and that they were massively overrated based off trying some before (and the lifelong bias due to my first console being a Mega Drive!) but now I'm enjoying Super Mario Odyssey so... I guess now I'm going to make this my Nintendo year and finish as many of their games and contracted exclusives as possible. I've literally never finished a single one, or even played one for more than an hour, besides uh Super Mario 3D Land. Oh and I guess I finished Pokemon Red or Blue as a kid...

I honestly recommend the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series.

Super Princess Peach is a good one, but you need an emulator for that.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2024, 4:34 am

honeytoast wrote:
arekks wrote:

Thank you for the recs!

Re: Mystery Dungeon, what's the battle system like? I never liked the 1v1 fights in Pokemon games, they felt both too simplistic and too slow compared to something like Shin Megami Tensei. But the mons are cute... that and the vocaloid colab songs recently made me want to try playing another Pokemon game.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 9:20 am

arekks wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
arekks wrote:

Thank you for the recs!

Re: Mystery Dungeon, what's the battle system like? I never liked the 1v1 fights in Pokemon games, they felt both too simplistic and too slow compared to something like Shin Megami Tensei. But the mons are cute... that and the vocaloid colab songs recently made me want to try playing another Pokemon game.

Mystery Dungeon is vastly different than the traditional Pokemon games. You get to play as a Pokemon (depending on which one you get in a little personality test the game makes you take), and have a Pokemon partner fight with you. I'd say it's more.. JRPG-ish? You have a simple party to start with as you explore the dungeons (completely randomized). As the game progresses you're able to swap out members with other Pokemon.

I do want to recommend Pokemon Black / White or Black/White 2. I consider those games to be the last "good" mainline games before they became what they are now. They had more double battles and introduced triple battles. The pixel art style is great.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 8:22 am

I've noticed that I've been playing Tales of Berseria since November and am only now nearing the end! Talk about taking my time huh

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2024, 12:59 pm

honeytoast wrote:
arekks wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
arekks wrote:

Thank you for the recs!

Mystery Dungeon is vastly different than the traditional Pokemon games. You get to play as a Pokemon (depending on which one you get in a little personality test the game makes you take), and have a Pokemon partner fight with you. I'd say it's more.. JRPG-ish? You have a simple party to start with as you explore the dungeons (completely randomized). As the game progresses you're able to swap out members with other Pokemon.

I do want to recommend Pokemon Black / White or Black/White 2. I consider those games to be the last "good" mainline games before they became what they are now. They had more double battles and introduced triple battles. The pixel art style is great.

Mystery Dungeon sounds interesting – I looked it up and that sub-series was developed by Chunsoft, huh. The gameplay looks kind of like a grid-based, turn-based roguelike where your partner Pokemon can act independently? Funny enough it reminds me of playing Azure Dreams on PS1 back in the day. Maybe I'll try it!

Were Black/White on the DS? I vaguely remember. The last generation I tried (very briefly) was Sun/Moon. I remember being amazed that a Nintendo handheld could finally do decent 3D graphics, though I tend to prefer pixel art.

Quote:
I've noticed that I've been playing Tales of Berseria since November and am only now nearing the end! Talk about taking my time huh

This is how I am with all JRPGs nowadays, I don't know how people manage to crank these out... I played three Trails games last year and I'm not sure how I did it but I think I deserve a medal.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 2:43 pm

you do! :lol: I'd get sick of playing the same genre back-to-back-to-back; before Berseria I played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which was a comparatively bite-sized political action romp, and next on my list is probably the survival horror Signalis.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 2:45 pm

Meanwhile here I've been playing one game for a decade. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2024, 8:43 pm

Readydaer wrote:
you do! :lol: I'd get sick of playing the same genre back-to-back-to-back; before Berseria I played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which was a comparatively bite-sized political action romp, and next on my list is probably the survival horror Signalis.

This is the thing, I had to take months-long breaks both between games, and halfway through each of the latter two games I played... I don't know if you've played any Trails but they're pretty much the worst JRPGs you can play for burnout, even by JRPG standards the plot is veeeery slow-moving.

Revengeance is good though! I literally just reinstalled it on my Steam Deck to test it out... gotta try replaying it some time. Also MGS3 since it's on PC now... ugh I have too much of game to play. Too much of game. Oh yeah I remember in the city near me, when Revengeance came out, they had this really cool mural as part of the marketing campaign: https://www.theaveragegamer.com/2013/02 ... ti-murals/

Quote:

Which game? I apologise if this has been mentioned repeatedly already... I'm not capable of playing the same game for more than a few hundred hours, unfortunately!

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 11:42 am

arekks wrote:
This is the thing, I had to take months-long breaks both between games, and halfway through each of the latter two games I played... I don't know if you've played any Trails but they're pretty much the worst JRPGs you can play for burnout, even by JRPG standards the plot is veeeery slow-moving.

Revengeance is good though! I literally just reinstalled it on my Steam Deck to test it out... gotta try replaying it some time. Also MGS3 since it's on PC now... ugh I have too much of game to play. Too much of game. Oh yeah I remember in the city near me, when Revengeance came out, they had this really cool mural as part of the marketing campaign: https://www.theaveragegamer.com/2013/02 ... ti-murals/

ooh i see, I've never played trails but i am a big fan of other NIS titles like Crymachina and Poison Control. either way i'd hope the plot for them is good enough to be worth it. I also played Revengeance on Steam Deck! i was also looking at the mgs series but i'm not sure if stealth games are my thing as i've never played one. very cute mural.

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2024, 9:19 pm

Readydaer wrote:
arekks wrote:

ooh i see, I've never played trails but i am a big fan of other NIS titles like Crymachina and Poison Control. either way i'd hope the plot for them is good enough to be worth it. I also played Revengeance on Steam Deck! i was also looking at the mgs series but i'm not sure if stealth games are my thing as i've never played one. very cute mural.

I wouldn't call Trails an NIS series... they've been published in the west by NISA for the last few games, but they're developed by Falcom, of Ys fame, and the games were previously localised by Xseed. Sorry for being a big nerd but I have to defend Falcom's honour here~! Definitely a big recommend for any JRPG fans though.

I'm not a stealth game fan generally but I still like MGS. The first three games are absolutely worth playing... I'd say, even if you don't like the gameplay, the story is enough to make it worthwhile. Especially for the second game.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 5:36 am

arekks wrote:
Quote:

Which game? I apologise if this has been mentioned repeatedly already... I'm not capable of playing the same game for more than a few hundred hours, unfortunately!

rFactor. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 8:55 am

arekks wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

I wouldn't call Trails an NIS series... they've been published in the west by NISA for the last few games, but they're developed by Falcom, of Ys fame, and the games were previously localised by Xseed. Sorry for being a big nerd but I have to defend Falcom's honour here~! Definitely a big recommend for any JRPG fans though.

I'm not a stealth game fan generally but I still like MGS. The first three games are absolutely worth playing... I'd say, even if you don't like the gameplay, the story is enough to make it worthwhile. Especially for the second game.

oops mb :oops: i see now. I'll look more into both trails and mgs!

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 8:56 am

I finished the story of Tales of Berseria and cried

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 7:40 pm

I hate Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

I knew they were going to kill the Arkhamverse's Batman off, but I never expected it to be like this. An entire character arc spanning 6 games, several comics, and one animated film wasted on a park bench with a bullet to the not so bulletproof cowl.

Another beloved franchise in the shi**er.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2024, 6:10 am

Readydaer wrote:
arekks wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

oops mb :oops: i see now. I'll look more into both trails and mgs!

Nonono you don't have to do the whole "oops mb" thing! I just love the Trails games, so I had to mention it~ I was playing those games since WAY before NISA got involved, lol

I don't have much to say about the Suicide Squad game though... I did play all of the Arkham games, but mostly just because they were popular games at the time. Batman and all this superhero stuff is completely against my spirit, which is more interested in cute Japanese games.