‘Love on the Spectrum’ Netflix show

Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 5:00 am

Nades wrote:
Not all autistic women are the same obviously, I think the more skilled ones are probably not picked for the show though.

Some are "skilled" but have probably had bad experiences. Perhaps there's some hope things will work out better for them on the show.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 6:31 am

MaxE wrote:
Nades wrote:
Not all autistic women are the same obviously, I think the more skilled ones are probably not picked for the show though.

Some are "skilled" but have probably had bad experiences. Perhaps there's some hope things will work out better for them on the show.

I can't help but feel the show picks them with the intention of everything failing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 7:41 am

Nades wrote:
I've had interactions with socially skilled extroverts and inexperienced introverts and past a certain age (I'm 33) I wonder why they haven't gained more people skills in all that time in comparison to the extroverts.
It could be because they’re autistic.

We are all different. We don’t all have the same capacity when it comes to social ability, just like we don’t all have the same intellectual or emotional capacity.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with lacking so-called “people skills.” I find awkwardness endearing, but obviously, not everyone feels the same.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 8:23 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Nades wrote:
I've had interactions with socially skilled extroverts and inexperienced introverts and past a certain age (I'm 33) I wonder why they haven't gained more people skills in all that time in comparison to the extroverts.
It could be because they’re autistic.

We are all different. We don’t all have the same capacity when it comes to social ability, just like we don’t all have the same intellectual or emotional capacity.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with supposedly lacking “people skills.” I find awkwardness endearing, but obviously, not everyone feels the same.

I think being awkward can be cute to an extent. If it's mild then it can be endearing but if it's severe, especially at an older age then it's probably deeply entrenched and better to deal with it before jumping on the dating market.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 8:26 am

I have a different take. People can’t always change stuff like that about themselves, especially if it’s “deeply entrenched,” whether it’s through nature, nurture, or a combination of the two nor do they always want to change. There’s nothing wrong with that. If some don’t like it, they don’t need to date them. It doesn’t mean that other people wouldn’t want to. There are lots of fish in the sea.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 9:54 am

I watched several episodes on Netflix a few years back when they started in Australia. To be honest, I didn't like that show because I felt like they were treating those individuals like guinea pigs. I also felt like they focused too much on the individual's autism and made it sound like they had limited interests.

E.G.
Tonight A is meeting B. B likes trains, plains, and automobiles and hates water, coffee, and the sound of wind blowing through the trees.

I also feel like these are all blind dates who are paired up with other people on the spectrum.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 11:33 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I watched several episodes on Netflix a few years back when they started in Australia. To be honest, I didn't like that show because I felt like they were treating those individuals like guinea pigs. I also felt like they focused too much on the individual's autism and made it sound like they had limited interests.

E.G.
Tonight A is meeting B. B likes trains, plains, and automobiles and hates water, coffee, and the sound of wind blowing through the trees.

I also feel like these are all blind dates who are paired up with other people on the spectrum.

I think part where they talk about the liking things is like other dating shows. Old dating shows setting up people would introduce people kinda like that. "Mr. Soandso likes long walks on the beach, walking his dogs, and movie nights".

The people are paired by the show, yes.

And basically all dating shows treat the people like guinea pigs. They almost always feel very strange to watch for me because a lot of the interactions could be faked by the people participating because of their awareness of the camera, the show producers could be influencing the interactions, or the people editing the videos could cut out certain parts and move things around to make it look like something did or didn't happen and change the tone of a recorded situation.
It is all so strange.